Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Post by brommers95 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:29 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:29 am
Evatt: “we are cautiously optimistic that one, if not both of Eoin and Rico will be back in the next week or two.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... am-senior/
One assumes in the same post-match round of interviews he also said....
"We're doing our best to get Rico and Eoin recovered but, at the moment, it doesn't look great.

"Possibly, if we do make it (to the play-offs), but for now these boys are what we've got and they're giving it absolutely everything to try and get us over the line."
I've learned to take what Evatt says about injuries with a pinch of salt. His prognoses have been wildly inaccurate thus far!
I must admit I'm a bit confused as to when what was said :conf: The prognosis of when they'll be back seems to have shifted quite wildly over the weekend.

A couple of poor results over the next two games might force Evatt to rush Rico back a bit sooner than the medical team would like just to keep us in the playoff race.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:00 am

brommers95 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:46 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Evatt: “we are cautiously optimistic that one, if not both of Eoin and Rico will be back in the next week or two.”

"We're doing our best to get Rico and Eoin recovered but, at the moment, it doesn't look great.

"Possibly, if we do make it (to the play-offs), but for now these boys are what we've got and they're giving it absolutely everything to try and get us over the line."
I've learned to take what Evatt says about injuries with a pinch of salt. His prognoses have been wildly inaccurate thus far!
I must admit I'm a bit confused as to when what was said :conf: The prognosis of when they'll be back seems to have shifted quite wildly over the weekend.

A couple of poor results over the next two games might force Evatt to rush Rico back a bit sooner than the medical team would like just to keep us in the playoff race.
What I posted was directly after the game in the media (radio) post match interview rounds.

Its possible that since Saturday evening the situation has changed and Evatt has been in touch with Iles but I'm somewhat sceptical that is the case.

If I was betting - I'd say he wants to play down the prospects of their return when answering questions about it because he doesn't want to create an atmosphere where the players who are fit feel they are just waiting for them back and there is an excuse till then and wants to talk up their chances of an imminent return when being asked about recalling players from loan he clearly doesn't rate but doesn't want to say that....

So arguably we can split the difference maybe?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:22 am

brommers95 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:46 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Suspect that's it Brommers. If it actually comes down to a mathematical "must win" maybe you're more likely to risk a "90%"

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:48 am

Reading between the lines I suspect that should we win tomorrow and Sat there is no need to rush them back as our play off place will be virtually assured and we can save them both for that push.
If however we only gain say one point this week then the need to win our two home games next week becomes more critical.
I find it mind boggling that we are talking about Toal as a big miss when at the start of the season he was considered a work in progress. Could now be our MVP.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:02 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:48 am
Reading between the lines I suspect that should we win tomorrow and Sat there is no need to rush them back as our play off place will be virtually assured and we can save them both for that push.
If however we only gain say one point this week then the need to win our two home games next week becomes more critical.
I find it mind boggling that we are talking about Toal as a big miss when at the start of the season he was considered a work in progress. Could now be our MVP.
The thing is within the space of minutes Evatt seems to be saying 'its not looking great - maybe they can be back if we make the play offs' to a few minutes earlier or later to a different set of journalists saying 'we're hopeful one or both can be back by the end of next week'.

Its definitely not clear what the picture is. I agree that there is a 'if we get results we don't need to rush them' back sort of thing but the other side is, who would want them to be thrown back in after a month or so out into a play off semi final game without any game time before that? So I think the aim for me has to be pick up the points (IF We can) do the job and then at least give them a game or two back pre playoffs if their return is at all possible. Test them out - cos last thing we'd want is them both breaking down twenty minutes into the home leg against someone.

My suspicion is that we are going to be facing teams in Burton, Shrewsbury and Accrington (maybe Fleetwood too) who are all going to test us physically from set plays and balls into our box and I think we might struggle with this back three more than we did against the more ball playing Oxford and Exeter. We saw Cambridge really cause us issues in that department throughout the game and I fear that's our biggest weakness right now. We don't have a big presence in there without Toal and Santos.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:21 pm

File under things you love to see:
No idea on time scales for Bod's return but he might be able to play some part in the playoffs should we get there.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:29 pm

Absolutely - would be great to have him back around the team.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:39 pm

He’s better than the three strikers we signed January and by a distance. So yeah be great if he was available again. But might be a long shot as it would take him a while to be up to speed.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:33 am

I suppose the real question for JDB is what happens in the summer - I’d love him to be fit enough to get an extension but he’s struggled this season.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:25 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:33 am
I suppose the real question for JDB is what happens in the summer - I’d love him to be fit enough to get an extension but he’s struggled this season.

The numbers (2023):
3 goals in 758 mins (League)
3 goals in 286 mins (EFL Trophy)
1 goal in 27 mins (FAC)
1 goal in 83 mins (EFL Cup)

8 goals in 1154 mins (Total)

Goals per 90 mins: 8 / (1154/90) = 8 / 12.82 = 1.6

Coming out as a goal every 1.6 matches.

The numbers (2022):
7 goals in 1025 mins (League)
0 goals in 18 mins (EFC Cup)

7 goals in 1043 mins (Total)

Goals per 90 mins: 7 / (1043/90) = 7 / 11.58 = 1.65

Coming out as a goal every 1.65 matches.

Granted, he's not been as effective in the league, a goal every 2.8 matches this season compared to a goal every 1.65 matches last season. But in terms of being able to put the ball in the back of the net, he's still been pretty effective. Providing he's fit enough i'd like to see him get a new deal.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:25 am

officer_dibble wrote:

The numbers (2023):
3 goals in 758 mins (League)
3 goals in 286 mins (EFL Trophy)
1 goal in 27 mins (FAC)
1 goal in 83 mins (EFL Cup)

8 goals in 1154 mins (Total)

Goals per 90 mins: 8 / (1154/90) = 8 / 12.82 = 1.6

Coming out as a goal every 1.6 matches.

The numbers (2022):
7 goals in 1025 mins (League)
0 goals in 18 mins (EFC Cup)

7 goals in 1043 mins (Total)

Goals per 90 mins: 7 / (1043/90) = 7 / 11.58 = 1.65

Coming out as a goal every 1.65 matches.

Granted, he's not been as effective in the league, a goal every 2.8 matches this season compared to a goal every 1.65 matches last season. But in terms of being able to put the ball in the back of the net, he's still been pretty effective. Providing he's fit enough i'd like to see him get a new deal.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:28 am

officer_dibble wrote:
For me…given this is an unusual season for him fitness wise he should be retained because we’ve signed three strikers in January, one for considerable outlay and he’d be ahead of all three for me.

Sure it will depend on the cost, and what else is out there for the money. But I’d be surprised if we could sign a better player.

If we are in league one my guess is that we let Nlundulu go back, Kachunga and Shoretire go and assuming Bod stays that leaves a striker replacement and a number ten needed. So two in and three out….

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:56 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:28 am
officer_dibble wrote:
For me…given this is an unusual season for him fitness wise he should be retained because we’ve signed three strikers in January, one for considerable outlay and he’d be ahead of all three for me.

Sure it will depend on the cost, and what else is out there for the money. But I’d be surprised if we could sign a better player.

If we are in league one my guess is that we let Nlundulu go back, Kachunga and Shoretire go and assuming Bod stays that leaves a striker replacement and a number ten needed. So two in and three out….
I actually thought JDB was a year or two older than he is. Turns 31 next month, so not one I'd want to give a really long term deal to, but two years might be reasonable. Other than Charles he'd certainly be the only striker on our books I'd be confident could do a job in the Championship.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:43 pm

I like Bod and we’ve missed him. But if we extend his deal that’s four strikers contracted for next year (Dion, Ade, Jerome). That’s presumably our lot. Are we happy with it?

Need also note that strikers’ wages tend to be the highest, especially if they’ve come from a higher division, as Bod did. It is, unquestionably, a risk.

As BWFCi says, depends on the money and the alternatives.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:53 pm

Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:43 pm
I like Bod and we’ve missed him. But if we extend his deal that’s four strikers contracted for next year (Dion, Ade, Jerome). That’s presumably our lot. Are we happy with it?

Need also note that strikers’ wages tend to be the highest, especially if they’ve come from a higher division, as Bod did. It is, unquestionably, a risk.

As BWFCi says, depends on the money and the alternatives.
If you're trying to improve on your striking options you start with 4th best and work from there...usually...

I'd certainly argue that given we've had three goes at improving on Bod in January (one involving our biggest paid fee in a decade or more) and none of them are close to being as good that the idea we will upgrade on him easily is probably for the birds. If we're looking to upgrade on what we've got available start at the other end of the quality list....

I'm going to be really realistic...whilst he will command good wages we don't have the resources to sign a better striker. Even if we said bye to him. He's our ceiling right now I'd say in terms of striker quality.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:58 pm

Wasn't Jerome also shifting into coaching long-term? I can see an argument for the season two variant of Adeboyejo being better than the one currently labouring to impress, but are we going to see a marked improvement in Jerome next campaign?

The other question to ask - how likely is it that we can improve on Bodvarsson over the summer? In either league?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:02 pm

All fine but let’s put it another way. Would we be wise to give one of our highest contracts to a bloke the wrong side of 30 who scored three league goals this season? I’ve seen that sort of stuff go wrong before…

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a good player and a good man and I won’t wail if he’s retained. But I reserve the right to worry.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:02 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:58 pm
Wasn't Jerome also shifting into coaching long-term? I can see an argument for the season two variant of Adeboyejo being better than the one currently labouring to impress, but are we going to see a marked improvement in Jerome next campaign?

The other question to ask - how likely is it that we can improve on Bodvarsson over the summer? In either league?
Yep - Jerome should be half coach half player next season. I like him but he's struggling a bit with how we want him to play in a pressing side. Not least with fitness.

Adeboyejo might improve but I still doubt he'll be as good as the Icelandic mon....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:03 pm

Well Jerome and Adebayajo aren't going anywhere. So it's Bod or another. I like him, but I'm not at all convinced there's nothing better out there. Particularly given how much football he's missed.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:03 pm

Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:02 pm
All fine but let’s put it another way. Would we be wise to give one of our highest contracts to a bloke the wrong side of 30 who scored three league goals this season? I’ve seen that sort of stuff go wrong before…

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a good player and a good man and I won’t wail if he’s retained. But I reserve the right to worry.
Would we be wise to bank our biggest transfer fee and a high wage and then rely on a bloke who has hit double figures once in his career?

If we're shifting risks then Victor goes before Bod....