The Real War of the Roses , the Play-Offs Part One, V Barnsley at home Sat 13th May 3-0 clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Real War of the Roses , the Play-Offs Part One, V Barnsley at home Sat 13th May 3-0 clock.

Post by The_Gun » Thu May 11, 2023 12:17 pm

https://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/offic ... eg.321573/

Most of them don’t sound confident at all, Worthy old chap.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Real War of the Roses , the Play-Offs Part One, V Barnsley at home Sat 13th May 3-0 clock.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 11, 2023 1:48 pm

Gethin Jones out for the season is a bigger blow than many will think. I always think we are a better team when he plays.

It puts a lot on returning Santos to be absolutely on the top of his game from the off and for the duration now.

Also means we need that back three to stay fit as only possible replacement is MJ and he’s only really a replacement for Santos.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu May 11, 2023 1:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 1:48 pm
Gethin Jones out for the season is a bigger blow than many will think. I always think we are a better team when he plays.

It puts a lot on returning Santos to be absolutely on the top of his game from the off and for the duration now.

Also means we need that back three to stay fit as only possible replacement is MJ and he’s only really a replacement for Santos.
A blow no doubt, but hopefully with only three games left to play ( :D ), it's one we can ride out. If Santos and Toal hadn't come back last week then obviously this would have royally fecked us, but four fit centre backs should be enough to see us through now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 11, 2023 1:55 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 12:17 pm
https://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/offic ... eg.321573/

Most of them don’t sound confident at all, Worthy old chap.
I hadn't looked since last week - so yeah :-) And wasn't that thread - but maybe it was more aspiration than fact. Que Sera.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 11, 2023 2:30 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 1:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 1:48 pm

A blow no doubt, but hopefully with only three games left to play ( :D ), it's one we can ride out. If Santos and Toal hadn't come back last week then obviously this would have royally fecked us, but four fit centre backs should be enough to see us through now.
Well we have little choice. He'd have been playing if fit but as you say at least we have some options.

I think it weakens us though - we are absolutely at our best with Jones and Bradley down that side.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 11, 2023 6:35 pm

Toal is a great defender. Probably our permanent player with the highest ceiling, but at home, or on a big Wembley pitch should we get there, Jones' dynamism on the over/under lap would be absolutely crucial.

It's a big blow
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 12, 2023 9:13 am

Got to say. I'm not feeling twitchy about this. That isn't "I think we'll win the game" nor necessarily the tie as a whole. It's a bit strange.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 12, 2023 9:18 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 9:13 am
Got to say. I'm not feeling twitchy about this. That isn't "I think we'll win the game" nor necessarily the tie as a whole. It's a bit strange.
Same. Don’t know why. I’m feeling positive about it. But who knows what will happen?

My guess is it’s because whilst we all want to win and go up, we’ve already had a cracking day out at Wembley and we all probably know deep down that we are maybe ill equipped for a season in the championship next year….
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Fri May 12, 2023 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

MattySlug
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by MattySlug » Fri May 12, 2023 9:37 am

The game is on the Kayœ streaming platform in Australia I’ll be watching at Midnight Satdy Night!!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 12, 2023 9:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 9:18 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Same. Don’t know why. I’m feeling positive about it. But who knows what will happen?

My guess is it’s because whilst we all want to win and go up, we’ve already had a cracking day out at Wembley and we all probably know deep down that we are maybe ill equipped for a season in the championship next year….
Agree with the last bit. I'm not even positive about it, per se. Think I've just talked myself into anything from here is a bonus. I absolutely want us to win...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 12, 2023 9:50 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Call-sign DSB, nodding in agreement.

I suspect if we'd been playing Sheff Wednesday I'd have a touch more trepidation. Not that Barnsley are pushovers, very far from it obviously. But I think over the two legs it'll either be a win or the sort of narrow defeat that we can build on for next season.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Fri May 12, 2023 9:57 am

Will be interesting to see how Peterborough and Sheffield Wed perform tonight. Don't think Peterborough will be a pushover, I'm predicting Sheffield not to make the final ..... so there .
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri May 12, 2023 10:00 am

I'd be more excited than nervous right now, but can see that changing as kick off approaches tomorrow. Whilst there's an element of feeling like the playoffs are a 'bonus', it's also what we've worked for all season, and we must try and seize the opportunity.

Bolton right now are a team who can be absolutely tremendous on their day, but have put in enough shite performances lately that I couldn't be at all confident of beating Barnsley over two legs. But yeah, probably a genuine 50/50 tie so I'd not be surprised by any outcome.

On a different note, Connell is going to get ruthlessly booed, isn't he? Can't say I'm in favour of that at all.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 12, 2023 10:01 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 9:46 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Agree with the last bit. I'm not even positive about it, per se. Think I've just talked myself into anything from here is a bonus. I absolutely want us to win...
Most of our past play off experience has been the club in a position of pretty close to desperation to make the top flight and bank the riches or face potentially catastrophic financial consequences….the pressure was significant and real and also there was little concern about ‘well we might come straight back down’ as we needed the cash and that was that.

Whilst an injection of several million from promotion would be welcome it’s not entirely the same.

I similarly want us to win it just doesn’t feel as knife edge or critical as previous ones did. It is probably an illusion. Football is about taking chances cos who knows what happens next season if we do not. But like you I want to win but probably have made peace with it if we do not.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 12, 2023 10:49 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:01 am
ife edge or critical as previous ones did. It is probably an illusion. Football is about taking chances cos who knows what happens next season if we do not. But like you I want to win but probably have made peace with it if we do not.

No.no.no...keep the faith. If we should lose, then Que Sera, but faint-heart etc. Trust in the Lord and follow my sig " With God on our side, who can oppose us". COME ON YOU WHITES..

ae:) ae:) ae:) ae:) ae:) ae:) ae:) ae:) ae:) ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri May 12, 2023 1:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I similarly want us to win it just doesn’t feel as knife edge or critical as previous ones did. It is probably an illusion. Football is about taking chances cos who knows what happens next season if we do not. But like you I want to win but probably have made peace with it if we do not.
Interesting that. Certainly the Blackpool game felt important although even then I couldn't forsee the tsunami that was coming. I don't recall thinking or hearing much at the time of the Ipswich, WBA games that it was financially critical, although we now know that things were pretty precarious until Eddie's involvement.

I'm fairly ambivalent about tomorrow at the moment but the nerves will be kicking in by 3pm. We would have a massive rebuild were we to go up but stay down and we still have to replace 2 of our finest ever loan signings. I'd rather we were rebuilding in the higher division.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 12, 2023 1:24 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 1:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Interesting that. Certainly the Blackpool game felt important although even then I couldn't forsee the tsunami that was coming. I don't recall thinking or hearing much at the time of the Ipswich, WBA games that it was financially critical, although we now know that things were pretty precarious until Eddie's involvement.

I'm fairly ambivalent about tomorrow at the moment but the nerves will be kicking in by 3pm. We would have a massive rebuild were we to go up but stay down and we still have to replace 2 of our finest ever loan signings. I'd rather we were rebuilding in the higher division.
Season we lost to Watford precipitated the huge sell off and Todd walking out.

Next season we lost to Ipswich and precipitated the sell off of our remaining starts. Fish, Gudjohnsen, Jensen etc..

Then when we beat Preston to win the club was on the verge of being in significant financial strife were promotion not achieved. Allardyce after the game talked about the immense weight felt in that game. It was pretty common knowledge. We needed to go up or face big issues.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri May 12, 2023 1:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 1:24 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Next season we lost to Ipswich and precipitated the sell off of our remaining starts. Fish, Gudjohnsen, Jensen etc..

Then when we beat Preston to win the club was on the verge of being in significant financial strife were promotion not achieved. Allardyce after the game talked about the immense weight felt in that game. It was pretty common knowledge. We needed to go up or face big issues.
Now that you mention it :D

I'd forgotten all about the Frandsen,Todd departures and the 'Heartbreak hotel' banner at the next game. Ironic that years later the hotel was a contributing factor in saving our skin.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 12, 2023 1:59 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 1:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 1:24 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Now that you mention it :D

I'd forgotten all about the Frandsen,Todd departures and the 'Heartbreak hotel' banner at the next game. Ironic that years later the hotel was a contributing factor in saving our skin.
Even after two seasons of flogging off millions and millions of pounds worth of players I believe that had we not beaten Preston there was a serious chance of it going bump that summer. Eddie was on the horizon then or investing small amounts but the club was in deep peril. It basically saved us. On promotion we spent a princely £800K on transfer fees that summer! Reflecting just how close we had sailed to the wind.

Didn't exactly learn the lesson in the long run though!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri May 12, 2023 3:37 pm

I don't have Instagram, but just saw a screenshot from Dad Bod's account where he appears to be declaring himself 'ready'. :D