Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:28 pm

No one we sign on the right will be a patch on Bradley. We'll have to improve at LWB just to compensate.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:10 pm
However, we only have so much money (and, to an extent, so many squad places). MJ's renewal offers us some cover in two positions and I can imagine us settling for that. I still think Toal is supposed to be the Santos cover but as I say he needs to get better on the ball. He has it in his locker to join in up top - see that lovely goal he scored against Pompey at the North Stand end - but he needs a better passing radar.
For me it's about leaning in to "Evattball" (not broken that one out in a while).

We've signed a goalie who can play sweeper. We're adding pace out wide. We're looking at BTEC Kantes in midfield. Everything says we want to be able to play more in the style Evatt claims his teams always play than the style we actually played last season, where things were a bit tighter because we couldn't create enough and so had to focus on clean sheets.

If we're doing that we can't really afford to lose that covering central defender in a high line and we also need someone who can step out of the back three into midfield. That'll need to be the same player - luckily some are in play at the minute.

I think all the "We can make it work like this" objections are valid, but at the moment I'm looking at ideals. They've given me Baxter and (probably) Wilson, so I'll take the rest too please.

If we end up going as is for budget reasons, I'm on board with that. No issue. However, I'm starting the season the same way I start every season - what does an ideal squad for this manager look like? How close can we get to that ideal? You never get there. You don't usually get anywhere near. But you start there.

The "ideal" has us adding a Wilson type on the left (happy for Williams to prove he's that guy), a quick centre half who can play, BTEC Kante, a #10 who can rip defences up, a false nine type and a runner in behind type.

Give Evatt all his tactical options as though he's an elite coach and then let him show whether he is or not. No more (valid) excuses about squad quality, suitability or depth. There's your 22-25. It's superb for this level. Win.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:58 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:28 pm
No one we sign on the right will be a patch on Bradley. We'll have to improve at LWB just to compensate.
And you know this because....what a ridiculous statement.

Both Josh Dacres-Cogley & Kane Wilson are fast, pacy wingbacks who can both cross a ball, but you know better eh ?

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:27 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:58 pm
Spartan2 wrote:

Both Josh Dacres-Cogley & Kane Wilson are fast, pacy wingbacks who can both cross a ball, but you know better eh ?
He was expressing an opinion, perfectly valid too. Your reply was a bit rude, but that's my opinion.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:29 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Spartan2 wrote:

Bradley was a one off, he was too good for the league. He would have been a top player in a championship team, and he is better than anyone we can realistically sign. Pointing this out and saying we're going to need to compensate with a better overall squad isn't ridiculous.

Oh and calling me names hurts my feelings.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:31 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:29 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Spartan2 wrote:

Bradley was a one off, he was too good for the league. He would have been a top player in a championship team, and he is better than anyone we can realistically sign. Pointing this out and saying we're going to need to compensate with a better overall squad isn't ridiculous.

Excuse me, where is the name calling ?

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:41 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:31 pm
Spartan2 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:29 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Spartan2 wrote:

Excuse me, where is the name calling ?
Okay, calling my opinions ridiculous hurts my feelings.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:29 pm

I might be proven wrong. But I think Bradley as good as he was - was an issue in the way we wanted to play. His up and down the line and defensive play was superb but his attacking third play was really poor. He did offer a superb outlet and that’s the bit I think we will miss the most as he always wanted it. But someone who doesn’t cut inside every time or trip over at the key moment or slam their fifth low cross of the game straight at a defender I think will improve us in some aspects.

We won’t find anyone all round as good as him. Not close. But if these players deliver what is promised I think we might be a better team with them in. Maybe.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:48 pm

To an extent I think Insane is right. I thought Bradley was exceptional for us last season, but he's not at the level of Wes Burns or others in terms of final ball.

The issue is that he gave us one thing that was vital, which was pitch control. As with Santos covering anything over the top (because he eats forwards for breakfast), anyone running in down that right side quickly found they had no time to think as they were harassed down the line by a kid with boundless energy.

When you look at our control numbers for the left and right it was night and day. We were completely dominant down our right flank and contested down the left.

It'll be no use Wilson creating more in the final third if we can't remain in control of the space behind him.

So you can say that Bradley held back our "style" in terms of his creativity (not sure I totally agree, as he was still good for the level), but our style is primarily about control and he offered that. He never gave the opposition a second to breathe and he very rarely gave the ball away cheaply outside their third.

Wilson is a much better defender than you might think, but he's never shown he has the stamina to play the "if Kante were a wingback" role Conor did. It may be that we can get him fit enough to do that, I don't know.

If you look at our pitch control vs Ipswich the key differences were down the left and in central midfield. We need to improve those areas and hold the right fairly steady. It may be that someone like Baccus lets us do that.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:42 pm

Josh Dacres-Cogley on a two year deal?

I hope that's with possible extensions as i'm hearing we've put up a few hundred thousand for him. Would seem strange to have him be able to wind down his contract a year after signing.

Either way, hearing positive things and i'm sure the board have it under control.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:45 pm

Mar wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:42 pm

I hope that's with possible extensions as i'm hearing we've put up a few hundred thousand for him. Would seem strange to have him be able to wind down his contract a year after signing.

Either way, hearing positive things and i'm sure the board have it under control.
He's a free transfer.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:45 pm
Mar wrote:

He's a free transfer.
Is he? Clearly i'm not paying enough attention if that is the case. Must be the Wilson link thats a few hundred k then?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:50 pm

Mar wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:46 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:45 pm
Mar wrote:

He's a free transfer.
Is he? Clearly i'm not paying enough attention if that is the case. Must be the Wilson link thats a few hundred k then?
Yes, as Wilson has time left on his contract. Iles says £200k plus potential add-ons.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:53 pm

Fri May 05, 2023 4:16 pm
READING
(...) Another forward option might be YAKOU MEITE. Now 27, the 6'1" Ivorian forward has scored 42 in 156 Champo games for the Royals, from various positions in the front three. Most recently, twas his late late goal that relegated Wigan, so he's already a hero to me.
Reading confirm Meite is leaving, having turned down a contract. No links with us yet. Just mentioning...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:59 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:48 pm
To an extent I think Insane is right. I thought Bradley was exceptional for us last season, but he's not at the level of Wes Burns or others in terms of final ball.

The issue is that he gave us one thing that was vital, which was pitch control. As with Santos covering anything over the top (because he eats forwards for breakfast), anyone running in down that right side quickly found they had no time to think as they were harassed down the line by a kid with boundless energy.

When you look at our control numbers for the left and right it was night and day. We were completely dominant down our right flank and contested down the left.

It'll be no use Wilson creating more in the final third if we can't remain in control of the space behind him.

So you can say that Bradley held back our "style" in terms of his creativity (not sure I totally agree, as he was still good for the level), but our style is primarily about control and he offered that. He never gave the opposition a second to breathe and he very rarely gave the ball away cheaply outside their third.

Wilson is a much better defender than you might think, but he's never shown he has the stamina to play the "if Kante were a wingback" role Conor did. It may be that we can get him fit enough to do that, I don't know.

If you look at our pitch control vs Ipswich the key differences were down the left and in central midfield. We need to improve those areas and hold the right fairly steady. It may be that someone like Baccus lets us do that.
Well bizarrely I also agree with all this.

That’s the problem with the system, finding players who can do it all in the wing back roles. There aren’t many. And as you say the stamina of Bradley up and down making runs in behind and recoveries was outstanding and won’t be replaced. Dabo arguably was the closest to that but like Bradley maybe wasn’t the best deliverer.

I sense that he’s trying to have two different types for wing back to suit the team we are up against. Which is probably a good thing. So long as we don’t miss the other half of a player each week.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:59 pm
Look at us... :pissed:

I *suspect* the plan may be to use the Conte Kante approach. Put an energiser bunny in the midfield and have him cover potential counter attacks in the middle third of the pitch. That was the Italian's way of letting his wingbacks off the leash at Chelsea. It should also give us more control in the midfield, where we've struggled with the second ball.

Players like Baccus, Norburn and Flick would fit that role.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:17 pm

Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:53 pm
Fri May 05, 2023 4:16 pm
READING
(...) Another forward option might be YAKOU MEITE. Now 27, the 6'1" Ivorian forward has scored 42 in 156 Champo games for the Royals, from various positions in the front three. Most recently, twas his late late goal that relegated Wigan, so he's already a hero to me.
Reading confirm Meite is leaving, having turned down a contract. No links with us yet. Just mentioning...
I would LOVE to get a naturally left-footed striker on the books. It's a huge miss as things stand.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:38 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:59 pm
Look at us... :pissed:

I *suspect* the plan may be to use the Conte Kante approach. Put an energiser bunny in the midfield and have him cover potential counter attacks in the middle third of the pitch. That was the Italian's way of letting his wingbacks off the leash at Chelsea. It should also give us more control in the midfield, where we've struggled with the second ball.

Players like Baccus, Norburn and Flick would fit that role.
Well indeed. That’s what I’ve been wanting because we need to find ways to preserve width higher up the pitch and without the unrealistic prospect of uncovering another Bradley having someone in midfield able to cover ground quickly would help.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:49 am

I do think when we talk about attacking play, that we put too much emphasis on one position and one side of the pitch. As Ghost said, our stats for the left and centre, mentioned, felt like a larger problem looking for an answer and require improvement. Difficult to know, for me, whether the suggested improvements will actually improve us out on the turf. I suspect there's only one of our likely signings who I might have seen once or maybe twice, which isn't much to go on.

So for me, very tricky to say it's good or bad. A bit like Vic, sorta trusting that with a closed season we can get enough content to make him work better...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:09 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:06 pm
Without knowing the players, based on various internet write ups, I think I’m now happy with our right side.

Can’t say I’m fully happy with the left, though. Randy began to show signs that he might be a worthy starter, but he really only had two or three good games, so hard to draw too many conclusions. John has shown himself to be wildly inconsistent, but consistently poor when it comes to defending, and I’m fairly certain Evatt doesn’t have him down as a starter.
Randell Williams came in with fitness issues on the back of an injury lay-off - With a pre-season under him and a fresh start, I think we saw enough glimpses to recognise that he could be an asset for us in this league. Another who'll need upgrading should we go up though
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"