Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:38 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:55 pm

That to me leaves us weaker than last season and we need to be stronger with better players in key areas.

I don’t think that it’s controversial to say this. Most fans seem to think the same.
Most? If we assume we average 18,000 a game, you've heard it from at least 9,001 that they are underwhelmed have you?

And, as others have pointed out, we're still 4 weeks away from the start of the season...
Yeah we are 4 weeks away and obviously were hoping to have Baccus and Wilson in. But given they aren’t I’d say it’s obvious there is considerable work left to do. And we know it takes players a while to settle here so hopefully we get a move on.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:00 pm

Made me smile Evatt ‘At times it was the same as last season couldn’t score the goals…..’

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:00 pm
Made me smile Evatt ‘At times it was the same as last season couldn’t score the goals…..’
On the positive side. Made yo smile!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:45 pm

Today's performance was very reminiscent of some of last season's games against low blocks. Evatt dragging a whiteboard out onto the pitch was a bit Phil Brown, but the dressing rooms there are a bit tight.

We did, in fairness, batter them. Their keeper was excellent and the linesman was flag happy, but there was nothing concerning really.

You can see where we were trying to change things a bit. Baxter understood the orders, but some of the other players looked a bit lost. It'll take time to adjust.

I though Cogley looked good down the right and Sads looked dangerous when he came on. I'd have loved Wilson (still would), but the most obvious issue is midfield. Too many errors in there and not enough attacking quality. The number of times the forwards made runs and the ball either wasn't released, or was released too late, was criminal. Some of that is ring rust, but some was just not having the guile needed.

The players we need now we've needed for two years. Hopefully this is the window where we get them done.

We may now need to go to the loan market for a centre half. Hopefully not.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:53 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:45 pm
Today's performance was very reminiscent of some of last season's games against low blocks. Evatt dragging a whiteboard out onto the pitch was a bit Phil Brown, but the dressing rooms there are a bit tight.

We did, in fairness, batter them. Their keeper was excellent and the linesman was flag happy, but there was nothing concerning really.

You can see where we were trying to change things a bit. Baxter understood the orders, but some of the other players looked a bit lost. It'll take time to adjust.

I though Cogley looked good down the right and Sads looked dangerous when he came on. I'd have loved Wilson (still would), but the most obvious issue is midfield. Too many errors in there and not enough attacking quality. The number of times the forwards made runs and the ball either wasn't released, or was released too late, was criminal. Some of that is ring rust, but some was just not having the guile needed.

The players we need now we've needed for two years. Hopefully this is the window where we get them done.

We may now need to go to the loan market for a centre half. Hopefully not.
I don’t think it’s an option. The club have set a target. We need quality additions to get there. It’s time to excrete or get off the pot.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:53 pm
I don’t think it’s an option. The club have set a target. We need quality additions to get there. It’s time to excrete or get off the pot.
Not being able to get all the players you need in one window is always an option. One almost every team avails themselves of each window.

"Shit or get off the pot" sounds remarkably like "Just sign someone, even if they're not the player you want" and that's a worrying idea.

We are the very definition of a "you can't spend it twice" football club. We do need to do this business, but we also have to get it right. If the right player isn't there then they're not.

Now, failing to find the right player in any of the three roles we need (2 mids and a wing back) would have me wondering what the hell was going on; but it's possible we won't get all three done this window.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:43 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:53 pm
Not being able to get all the players you need in one window is always an option. One almost every team avails themselves of each window.

"Shit or get off the pot" sounds remarkably like "Just sign someone, even if they're not the player you want" and that's a worrying idea.

We are the very definition of a "you can't spend it twice" football club. We do need to do this business, but we also have to get it right. If the right player isn't there then they're not.

Now, failing to find the right player in any of the three roles we need (2 mids and a wing back) would have me wondering what the hell was going on; but it's possible we won't get all three done this window.
I agree to an extent. We don’t want another fridge.

However, I’d we genuinely can’t improve in midfield then I’d be asking serious questions. Wing back worries me but I think we need to go and sign a winger we can convert because there are more of them than wing backs I think.

Ultimately the issues have been there a long time and if Evatt and Markham can’t find solutions across the last 3 windows I’d be asking what they are doing here…

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:22 am

Mate. Put your hat in the ring. Call Shaz. I think you might convince her you'll do better, because everything's wrong unless it's precisely what you think we need. You "genuinely" ask the right questions over the last three windows, so back yourself to convince more than 10 people on a message board that you have enough credibility. :-) I doubt you will.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:03 am

I'm wondering why people think we need two midfielders, presumably first teamers, given our current midfielders are so good. :mrgreen:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:58 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:38 pm
Yeah we are 4 weeks away and obviously were hoping to have Baccus and Wilson in. But given they aren’t I’d say it’s obvious there is considerable work left to do. And we know it takes players a while to settle here so hopefully we get a move on.
That part is all reasonable. I mean the "why are Markham and Evatt even here?" stuff is clearly bonkers, but we do need to get some lads in who offer much more creativity.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:40 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:58 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:38 pm
That part is all reasonable. I mean the "why are Markham and Evatt even here?" stuff is clearly bonkers, but we do need to get some lads in who offer much more creativity.
I’m not asking what they are doing here so much as suggesting if they genuinely can’t improve our midfield I’d be worried about what the true story is. Money or an inability to take a risk…

We all can see what is needed it’s not unique to this window. They obviously identified a target in Baccus but surely have a much longer list of players. If we can’t get them in then are we too cautious for our own ambitions?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:51 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:40 am
I’m not asking what they are doing here so much as suggesting if they genuinely can’t improve our midfield I’d be worried about what the true story is. Money or an inability to take a risk…

We all can see what is needed it’s not unique to this window. They obviously identified a target in Baccus but surely have a much longer list of players. If we can’t get them in then are we too cautious for our own ambitions?
Not to be picky, but you literally said, "if Evatt and Markham can’t find solutions across the last 3 windows I’d be asking what they are doing here…"

That's off the back of saying stuff like Evatt is clueless, rates "pub players" and is worse manager than Sadlier is a player.

I know you like to talk about how much you support Evatt, but there's a fair amount of gaslighting going on here.

Wilson is a player Bristol want rid of. Baccus, likewise, is a player St Mirren need to sell (due to his contract length). Those types are easier to sort out and it's a shame they fell through.

Other lads we want are likely to be a bit trickier. Their clubs will want enough money to replace them and get another in somewhere else in the squad. Once you've agreed a fee in principle (or just been quoted one) you then need to let them line up a replacement. So we'll probably have multiple options per role and pull the trigger when something lines up.

The way to get around that is to over-pay. To throw enough money at a club that they feel they can't refuse it. We can't afford that. To you that may say we're not matching our ambitions with spending, but all it means in reality is we are maximising our resources across a whole squad. We could probably go all-out and sign one serious player, or we can show patience and hope to land the three we need. We can't do both.

That doesn't mean it can't be done, it simply means it takes skill, experience and patience - all of which Markham has.

The noise around Forrester was illuminating. We told Vale we were interested, but wanted to wait for other business to be done so we could be secure of the finances around those and also see if another player was available later in the month for less money. Vale came back to us and essentially offered a discount if we picked him up now, so they could crack on with their business. So we pulled that trigger, because it meant we got a player we wanted and could still finance the other stuff we needed.

What Vale name-checking Markham should tell everyone is both that Chris is respected in the game and we are weaving our way through the finances of this window rather well. Evatt will be frustrated that it's taking time, but he is gradually getting the players he asked for. I'd have liked them all in 2 weeks ago. As would Ian and Chris. Sometimes it's just not possible, though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:00 am

^^I’m allowed to be less convinced that they share the urgency I see after the last two windows where I think they got it wrong.

Last summer you argued they didn’t bring in what was required. January didn’t convince me.

I’m not convinced by our business thus far either. I’m allowed that opinion. Our target is automatic promotion. Evatt doesn’t care what I think and rightly so. But I think we are short now in key areas that haven’t been addressed across multiple windows and are in serious need of being dealt with.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:00 am
^^I’m allowed to be less convinced that they share the urgency I see after the last two windows where I think they got it wrong.

Last summer you argued they didn’t bring in what was required. January didn’t convince me.

I’m not convinced by our business thus far either. I’m allowed that opinion. Our target is automatic promotion. Evatt doesn’t care what I think and rightly so. But I think we are short now in key areas that haven’t been addressed across multiple windows and are in serious need of being dealt with.
Sure, you're allowed any opinion you like; but likewise people are allowed to counter it.

Evatt has literally just said we are working hard to sort out those areas of the team.

I'm just not sure why anyone would be moaning about it now. After the window closes sure. If we've done nothing by then I'll have a good moan too.

We're building a better squad whilst trying to get more creative quality into the first team. Unsurprisingly, the squad work is proving easier and has got done first.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:31 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:26 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Sure, you're allowed any opinion you like; but likewise people are allowed to counter it.

Evatt has literally just said we are working hard to sort out those areas of the team.

I'm just not sure why anyone would be moaning about it now. After the window closes sure. If we've done nothing by then I'll have a good moan too.

We're building a better squad whilst trying to get more creative quality into the first team. Unsurprisingly, the squad work is proving easier and has got done first.
I’m not moaning I said thus far I was underwhelmed. Let’s hope we get the significant quality we need in the next couple of weeks.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:52 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

You are allowed to express your opinion. I just think you may need to work at posting it a few more times, because some folk might have missed it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:42 pm

On a different note yes it’s against Bamber Bridge but the play from Sadlier to create a yard and then whip a ball in is what I want our wing backs to offer consistently.

Not saying Sadlier is a solution but think we need players with that set of skills and attacking ability.

Especially in those home games against low block sides. Defend that for 90 minutes is hard work. Less so if you never really believe the quality delivery will come.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:08 pm

It's a reasonable point, I think we missed Sads off the bench, post Jan. He offers something different...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:08 pm
It's a reasonable point, I think we missed Sads off the bench, post Jan. He offers something different...
We need those qualities in a starter.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:28 pm
We need those qualities in a starter.
Personal view, but I think we need better one-on-one ability than Sads offers. He's at his best clearing his feet and striking the ball early. We need someone who can dribble past an isolated defender and get into the truly dangerous cut-back positions on the byline.

Kane Wilson is being linked with Derby, which has a lot of people upset.