Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:05 pm
If we’ve gone from Dabo or Wilson to Jack Hunt for wing back having been told we are beyond the free market I don’t think any rationalising can help make that look anything other than a mess.
If we signed him for RWB, yes.

The sales pitch would be that Cogley has been so impressive we no longer feel the need to spend big there, but it would ring hollow.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:18 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:14 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:06 pm
Is Hunt a left sided centre back?
No, but he's closer to a Jones type than he is to Kane Wilson.

We have Iredale and Forrester who are adept at that role and Jones and Toal who have shown they can play it, so if the market yields a right-sider so be it.

I don't think Hunt solves any of the problems in our squad, hence why I wouldn't sign him; but he's also a long way off a disaster.
You are suggesting a lad with a career entirely at right back or right side midfield is going to be signed as a centre back? Not buying that. He’d be a desperation wing back signing. I don’t think the rumour is true for one second as it would clash with everything Evatt has said.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:18 pm
You are suggesting a lad with a career entirely at right back or right side midfield is going to be signed as a centre back? Not buying that. He’d be a desperation wing back signing. I don’t think the rumour is true for one second as it would clash with everything Evatt has said.
I'm not even suggesting he's going to be signed, Insane.

What I'm saying is that if Hunt were signed by Evatt to play this system the only way I'd be alright with it is if he was coming into the back three, where he definitely could play at the minute with how we're utilising the centre backs.

He's entirely unsuitable for what we need down the right wing.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:56 pm

Christ, can we sign someone exciting already, I can't wait any longer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:09 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:20 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:18 pm
I'm not even suggesting he's going to be signed, Insane.

What I'm saying is that if Hunt were signed by Evatt to play this system the only way I'd be alright with it is if he was coming into the back three, where he definitely could play at the minute with how we're utilising the centre backs.

He's entirely unsuitable for what we need down the right wing.
If we are signing a right back/right sided midfield player to cover Johnston who plays as a LCB then again I don’t think there is any real way to sell that either. It’s complete nonsense rumour I think.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:17 pm

Look on the bright side Insano, we've probably got this rumour out there for when we announce we've sold Geth, tomorrow. :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:09 pm
If we are signing a right back/right sided midfield player to cover Johnston who plays as a LCB then again I don’t think there is any real way to sell that either. It’s complete nonsense rumour I think.
Jones and Iredale were both officially fullbacks.

Hunt has played centre back before at both Huddersfield and Bristol City, so it's not an alien role to him.

I don't think he solves any squad issue bar numbers, but if he shows up as an option at the back I won't moan.

If he's the Kane Wilson replacement then that's another matter.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:44 pm

Can we have a replacement for someone we never had in the first place? :-) Aren't RWB signings replacements for Bradley and dunno, Issy? Could Evatt possibly be saying to himself JDC + Hunt is better than Bradley + physios bench?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:46 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:44 pm
Can we have a replacement for someone we never had in the first place? :-) Aren't RWB signings replacements for Bradley and dunno, Issy? Could Evatt possibly be saying to himself JDC + Hunt is better than Bradley + physios bench?
Sure but it’s clear we wanted JDC and a top quality RWB hence Dabo and Wilson. Missing out on them and settling for a standard older right back as cover would suggest Evatt hasn’t got what he felt was needed.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:46 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sure but it’s clear we wanted JDC and a top quality RWB hence Dabo and Wilson. Missing out on them and settling for a standard older right back as cover would suggest Evatt hasn’t got what he felt was needed.
Don't disagree we were clearly trying to sign Wilson. Do we know we actually moved anywhere with Dabo? Maybe he's just rationalising no worse off (I mean I'm not judging JDC until he's played some games). He could be telling himself he didn't need Wilson based on what he saw from JDC in training and what he might have to pay for a fee bearing Wilson alternative...dunno. Just hypothsising

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sure. You have a target that falls through and you replace them with another.

The skills we need down the right aren't offered by Hunt. Evatt was clear about what he wants down the flanks and he tried to make a signing in the same vein. Hunt might be better than literally nobody, but he's not what the manager targeted previously.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:09 pm

I agree with Worthy re the Dabo rumour. Did we make a firm offer or was it just rumour mill stuff?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:09 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:46 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Don't disagree we were clearly trying to sign Wilson. Do we know we actually moved anywhere with Dabo? Maybe he's just rationalising no worse off (I mean I'm not judging JDC until he's played some games). He could be telling himself he didn't need Wilson based on what he saw from JDC in training and what he might have to pay for a fee bearing Wilson alternative...dunno. Just hypothsising
I’m pretty sure that we were in for Dabo very early and keen but his wage demands put us off - not the only ones either.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:19 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:37 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:29 pm
I think that's reasonable, Mar, but I don't think he's been a good signing so far. That's not framing him, it's just (my) reflection of what I thought I saw when he played. I didn't write him off last Jan, thinking he'd benefit maybe from closed season, but for me we've gone past "what he did elsewhere" when we bought him. There's now only what he does here...If I see the same between Aug and Jan as I did between Jan-May, then he's destined for the N'gog award for me (but I'm hoping we see something much better)
Agree with this, I expected much more power & pace (a bit like Ricketts) - however he looks clumsy with a poor 1st touch. I thought that he'd be a real handful for defenders but I didn't see that at all. Happy to give him time early doors as with Nlundulu and really hope they perform after a pre season - but I honestly can't see it happening.

More than happy to be proved wrong.

Clumsy and a poor first touch, sounds about right from what we've seen so far. I think there's definitely a player there, he looks like he's got the ability to press like Charles and given his Burton record, he knows where the back of the net is so its all to do with getting the best out of him.

Playing second fiddle to Charles may have made him think twice about the move. I suspect we've unsettled him somewhat and due to our lack of decent first time balls in behind, it may be a case of us struggle to suit our game to fit him.

I'm sure it'll come good with increased tempo and mixed play styles. We were very much one note last season, pass down the right and struggle to cross the ball in. Bradley was great for ball progression, but not so much on the final ball. Get players surrounding Vic and we've got a problem. Our patient build up didnt suit him, but I suspect a quicker tempo into Vic and maybe we'll see him start to thrive.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:45 pm

Mar wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:19 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:37 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:29 pm
I think that's reasonable, Mar, but I don't think he's been a good signing so far. That's not framing him, it's just (my) reflection of what I thought I saw when he played. I didn't write him off last Jan, thinking he'd benefit maybe from closed season, but for me we've gone past "what he did elsewhere" when we bought him. There's now only what he does here...If I see the same between Aug and Jan as I did between Jan-May, then he's destined for the N'gog award for me (but I'm hoping we see something much better)
Agree with this, I expected much more power & pace (a bit like Ricketts) - however he looks clumsy with a poor 1st touch. I thought that he'd be a real handful for defenders but I didn't see that at all. Happy to give him time early doors as with Nlundulu and really hope they perform after a pre season - but I honestly can't see it happening.

More than happy to be proved wrong.

Clumsy and a poor first touch, sounds about right from what we've seen so far. I think there's definitely a player there, he looks like he's got the ability to press like Charles and given his Burton record, he knows where the back of the net is so its all to do with getting the best out of him.

Playing second fiddle to Charles may have made him think twice about the move. I suspect we've unsettled him somewhat and due to our lack of decent first time balls in behind, it may be a case of us struggle to suit our game to fit him.

I'm sure it'll come good with increased tempo and mixed play styles. We were very much one note last season, pass down the right and struggle to cross the ball in. Bradley was great for ball progression, but not so much on the final ball. Get players surrounding Vic and we've got a problem. Our patient build up didnt suit him, but I suspect a quicker tempo into Vic and maybe we'll see him start to thrive.
Vic needs early delivery into the box. Evatt will need to change his approach to achieve that. And to up the tempo.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:02 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:56 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sure. You have a target that falls through and you replace them with another.

The skills we need down the right aren't offered by Hunt. Evatt was clear about what he wants down the flanks and he tried to make a signing in the same vein. Hunt might be better than literally nobody, but he's not what the manager targeted previously.
Don't doubt that mate, like I said on another post, we assumed the "pecking order" was going to be Wilson then JDC. Given our inability to land what we wanted wondering whether he's now thinking JDC is doing better in training than he thought, so maybe he can get by with JDC and a spare? Might be clutching as I've not seen JDC play and can't recall him from any matches we played against him...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:02 pm
Don't doubt that mate, like I said on another post, we assumed the "pecking order" was going to be Wilson then JDC. Given our inability to land what we wanted wondering whether he's now thinking JDC is doing better in training than he thought, so maybe he can get by with JDC and a spare? Might be clutching as I've not seen JDC play and can't recall him from any matches we played against him...
He played against us in the cup last season and was easily Tranmere's best player.

I don't have a massive objection to JDC being "the man" for a bit next season (I rate him), but it doesn't get us to where Evatt wanted us. If the aim was 8th-4th again I genuinely think he'd be good for us, but if we want to storm the division I think we need a couple of lads in who can skin defenders when isolated against them.

There's not enough improvement in the rest of the 11 to not see significant work done somewhere. If we don't do enough down the right (Hunt isn't enough) then the mids we get in will have to be really special.

Even against Curzon Ashton there were times when we isolated a fullback and got stuck, because we don't have the ability to take them on one-on-one.

There are only three players in the entire squad who will stand a player up and go past them. Randy, Nlundulu and Sads.

If people think Sads is the answer, okay. Personally I don't, but I'm here to be convinced. If Sads isn't the answer down the right, we need someone who is.

Again, to be clear. I rated Cogley as a signing and I rate him even more having had a bit more of a look at him in person. There's nothing wrong with having him in the 11, but then we have real work to do in midfield to offer that dribbling ability we have got to find from somewhere.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:51 pm

Agree mate. I suspect Evatt sees Sads different than I see Sads. For me, offers us something different, when we're being a bit predictable, precisely because he don't do what the boss-man tell him. :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:51 pm
Agree mate. I suspect Evatt sees Sads different than I see Sads. For me, offers us something different, when we're being a bit predictable, precisely because he don't do what the boss-man tell him. :-)
If Sads wanted to stay on as an impact sub, no issue. I think he's good off the bench. If all he has to do is play in the final third he's a good player. I'm unconvinced of him in the other 2/3.

If the plan is to get Hunt in as a utility defender and go again in January I won't be happy, but I can accept it so long as there's a plan there to access foreign markets in January.

I will be surprised if Evatt is prepared to go down that route this early in the window, though. If he is he'd better get some cracking mids in.

I'll be at Chester and hoping to see more improvement. The transfers might not be exciting me at the moment, but I like the tactical work.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:52 pm

Yeah, again of a short clip v Curzon, we did look to be trying to engineer openings and pulling the trigger from a wider variety of places than last season, where for me we seemed to prefer a more "perfect" higher percentage chance, which against the low block sometimes looked too predictable. Think there's probably a balance.

Sads I think we missed as the impact sub you mentioned, rather than the 0-60 minute gaffer...