Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:35 pm

To me, he seems to have a couple of good spells in a season and is meh for the rest of it. He's young and not played a vast amount yet, so my criteria for keeping is if we think we can get him to play at his best for much longer periods. I'd probably be tempted by £1m though...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:11 pm

Mind not strictly related to us but look at the premiership and it’s completely ridiculous now. Liverpool and Chelsea fighting it out for a player over £100M quid from Brighton. Caicedo is decent. Very decent. He’s worth nothing like that though. Nothing like.

Man City being quoted a similar price for Paqueta (who? Exactly) from West Ham.

Based on those prices we should be asking for £10M minimum for Thomason.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:56 pm

Young chap on SKy Sports News earlier talking about the problems Bournemouth have competing with such big spenders;

"If you shop around you can still find players with potential in the smaller 25 to 35 million range"

Just when you think football can't get any dafter
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:36 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:56 pm
Young chap on SKy Sports News earlier talking about the problems Bournemouth have competing with such big spenders;

"If you shop around you can still find players with potential in the smaller 25 to 35 million range"

Just when you think football can't get any dafter
Funnily enough, whenever the old mind rattles around to the subject of football finance jumping the shark, Bournemouth loom. For it’s when one fine season I read a complaint from an Italian suit that the boys from Dean Court were outbidding AC Milan that I thought, OK, game’s gone.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:19 pm

Iles reporting Bristol City have bid a million for Thomason.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:21 pm

I'd be asking for £2m and a sell-on clause. If they came back with £1.5m and the clause I'd say sell.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:29 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:19 pm
Iles reporting Bristol City have bid a million for Thomason.
We’d be silly to accept their first offer. £1.5m up front, plus add-ons and a sell-on fee sounds reasonable at this juncture.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:45 pm

Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:31 pm

Evatt apparently said everything around Thomason will be resolved within 48 hours.

I'd want us to have a replacement lined-up before concluding the deal.

We have officially sought buyers for Sads and John, which might move things there. We need to maintain the depth we have.

If Thommo goes by Tuesday and we've not got a couple in by the weekend I'll be disappointed.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:34 pm

I'd assume Thomason will now be off. Good luck to him; great work ethic, great atitude and, seemingly, a good lad. I hope he makes the most of the opportunity and does well for himself.

Do we think we might make a move for Moxon as a result?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:50 pm

Objectively speaking, it's a great deal. £1m+ for a midfielder who was only a sub in our first two games?

However, on a more subjective level, I'm properly disappointed that it looks like he's going. He's a good player, and has only gotten better over the last three years. I had high hopes that he was one we were going to build a midfield around for years to come - especially after his promotion to #4.

Not done until it's done, like. Que sera.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:54 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:50 pm
Objectively speaking, it's a great deal. £1m+ for a midfielder who was only a sub in our first two games?

However, on a more subjective level, I'm properly disappointed that it looks like he's going. He's a good player, and has only gotten better over the last three years. I had high hopes that he was one we were going to build a midfield around for years to come - especially after his promotion to #4.

I think Iles claims it's potentially "up to" that figure, and certainly not in excess of it.

The tone of Evatt's post-match comments, though, suggest to me the club's pretty happy with it and it's now a decision for Thomason.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:56 pm

truewhite15 wrote:

^^

This.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:09 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:54 pm
truewhite15 wrote:

I think Iles claims it's potentially "up to" that figure, and certainly not in excess of it.

The tone of Evatt's post-match comments, though, suggest to me the club's pretty happy with it and it's now a decision for Thomason.
Yep. Quotes from Evatt - "significant offer", "done in 48 hours" etc - certainly seems to indicate that it's been accepted. You never know, maybe GT will tell them to bugger off - the idea is that we'll be playing at least in the same league as them next season. I don't think Bristol City have any serious designs on the Premier League this season, nor do I think they're under threat from relegation.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:48 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:

Maybe so. Though alternatively if you think you are about to sell a player for £1M then would you bring them on to risk them get injured?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:57 pm

Not sure why we’d accept their first offer, unless we really need the money, or are terrible negotiators.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:04 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:57 pm
Not sure why we’d accept their first offer, unless we really need the money, or are terrible negotiators.

Or perhaps it's not their first offer?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:48 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:

Maybe so. Though alternatively if you think you are about to sell a player for £1M then would you bring them on to risk them get injured?

I think it's probably something Evatt would do.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:19 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:04 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:57 pm

Or perhaps it's not their first offer?
A good point well made 😀

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:42 pm

Enough money for two CMG type deals (and the additional wage), plus a bit extra and a future fee? That'd do.

If he stays, great.