Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bare Bones....

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:16 pm

You'd think Jones and Thomason would do 90 given they're suspended Saturday. And Morley could do with minutes. And Bod and Dan.

So that's a decent enough start. I certainly wouldn't be risking Charles or Dempsey. I want to go through, I want to win it again, but it's a clear lesser priority.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:16 pm
You'd think Jones and Thomason would do 90 given they're suspended Saturday. And Morley could do with minutes. And Bod and Dan.

So that's a decent enough start. I certainly wouldn't be risking Charles or Dempsey. I want to go through, I want to win it again, but it's a clear lesser priority.
Fair call on Geth and GT. They can also help the newcomers, too - Geth as elder statseman (prvoiding he doesn't say "fly through the air and hack at him with your wrong foot") and George as a great example of a pathway from tyro to key man.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:27 pm

Yeah, I'm falling down on the side of Worthy and Insano here. Wembley last season was great, and getting there again would be nice, but getting promoted clearly overrides anything else, and given the state of our squad I don't want any risks taken tomorrow.

I still want us to beat United's kids, and if we progress in this comp that's fine, but a repeat of the CMG situation would be fairly disastrous.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:40 am

Nice to see Coleman back on the bench... but now Adboyejo's gone down. Howevs, Ian's #hopeful he'll be back, possibly even Tuesday.

“We're hopeful it's not a serious problem. He hyper-extended his knee in training on Friday and there's a little bit of swelling and soreness. We're hopeful that it's a reactive thing to the movement he made rather than it being any serious damage. The knee itself seems solid and strong so we're hopeful it won’t be too serious.”

#hopeful

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:38 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:40 am
Nice to see Coleman back on the bench... but now Adboyejo's gone down. Howevs, Ian's #hopeful he'll be back, possibly even Tuesday.

“We're hopeful it's not a serious problem. He hyper-extended his knee in training on Friday and there's a little bit of swelling and soreness. We're hopeful that it's a reactive thing to the movement he made rather than it being any serious damage. The knee itself seems solid and strong so we're hopeful it won’t be too serious.”

#hopeful
Based on history of evatts comments on injuries and what actually happens I’d say minimum 4 months.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:20 am

😂 you miserable get - I’ll take him at his word and expect to see Victor back in the squad at the weekend. Thankfully Dan has given Ian a selection headache of sorts.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:24 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:20 am
😂 you miserable get - I’ll take him at his word and expect to see Victor back in the squad at the weekend. Thankfully Dan has given Ian a selection headache of sorts.
Indeed. Dan's becoming more of a selection headache and actually playing his way into contention. Still a work in progress but a lot of positive signs at the moment (goals, tributes, impacts on games), long may it continue.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:33 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
He was ok yesterday but selection headache is overblowing it a bit. Second half he was either very lazy or completely unfit to start a game.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:33 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
He was ok yesterday but selection headache is overblowing it a bit. Second half he was either very lazy or completely unfit to start a game.
That said, he did help us win a game that you'd never been more certain we were going to lose. So there is that. :wink:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:06 pm

I did say “of sorts”.

I didn’t see anything of the game but it sounds like positionally he was there and he held the ball up well, and proved a handy foil. Second half we were under the coach. Criticism is I still can’t see him scoring goals and Victor has been doing that.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:46 pm

Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:33 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
That said, he did help us win a game that you'd never been more certain we were going to lose. So there is that. :wink:
Oh don’t get me wrong he exceeded expectations. It was impressive. But still some troubling aspects. I mean if you take Charles out I’m not sure we have much compared to port vale who I suspect are bottom half when all is said and done.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:09 pm

Wow that's some careful delineation. If we subtract our leading scorer, we might struggle to beat the team who were fourth yesterday morning but are now apparently doomed to plummet down the standings.

I get that the game was tight, but I also acknowledge the wider picture. We're going from game to game (IMO Evatt's fault, as Ive said several times) and eked out a hard-fought win, just as many commentators have requested. Doesn't mean we were playing the blind school. Maybe if they came on strong in the second half it's because they're not drop-dodgers really – as somewhat indicated by starting the game in 4th place, with you never more certain of us being beaten. I don't know whether they'll finish up there it looks awfully like your're changing the script just because we won.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:00 pm

Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:09 pm
Wow that's some careful delineation. If we subtract our leading scorer, we might struggle to beat the team who were fourth yesterday morning but are now apparently doomed to plummet down the standings.

I get that the game was tight, but I also acknowledge the wider picture. We're going from game to game (IMO Evatt's fault, as Ive said several times) and eked out a hard-fought win, just as many commentators have requested. Doesn't mean we were playing the blind school. Maybe if they came on strong in the second half it's because they're not drop-dodgers really – as somewhat indicated by starting the game in 4th place, with you never more certain of us being beaten. I don't know whether they'll finish up there it looks awfully like your're changing the script just because we won.
The point I’m making is that if you take Charles out I’m not convinced any of our others are scoring in a game like that.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:00 pm

The point I’m making is that if you take Charles out I’m not convinced any of our others are scoring in a game like that.
Of course you're not. Give the rest a bit of credit.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:41 am

Evatt

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... le-united/

“I think we will have Victor back for the weekend, but I don’t think any of the others will be ready. I think we are looking at Northampton for them, probably barring Carlos Mendes Gomes, who is a week behind and his injury was slightly more serious than the others.”

Rico and Paris are back in light training.

That “week” after Northampton includes two tough trips to Wycombe (midweek) and Charlton…

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:29 pm

Interestingly enough, we're one of Carlisle's closest teams. We're 1hr and 37 mins away from Carlisle, with Blackpool being 1hr and 35 mins. We're easier to get to, so presumably that'll help fans keen on coming to the ground.

This got me thinking if there was anyone else in the league that had us as their nearest team.

Obviously, we are Wigan's closest team, but we're also really close to Barnsley's nearest team in terms of travel times. It's 1hr 11 mins from Barnsley to Derby as their closest but we clock in at 1hr 15 mins (Barnsley to Lincoln is 1hr 22mins).

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:06 am

If we are that strapped for players why in the hell are Toal and Charles being released to play for NI, Charles in particular needs a rest.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:14 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:06 am
If we are that strapped for players why in the hell are Toal and Charles being released to play for NI, Charles in particular needs a rest.

We have no choice in the matter. Nor should we.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:16 am

Unfortunately it doesn’t work like that unless you are a Jurgen Klopp or whatever and can convince the player to feign injury and not to go. If he’s fit to play 90 minutes for us he is going to be turning up to train. I don’t think he has finished a game recently for Northern Ireland so that’s a benefit at least.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:01 pm

Dem bare bones may very well be playing against Solihull Moors in the FA Cup on the 4th November.

Might actually stand a chance of getting through to the next round.