Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:38 pm
I did also read that the kid's on £4k per week.
No idea, but wouldn't shock me. Chelsea have a kid who hasn't kicked a ball for them yet who is on over 20k a week. Some of the contracts in the Prem youth teams are mental.

It's increasingly difficult for lower league sides to offer comparable wages, which is one way the top sides persuade kids to rot in their development systems. You can stay at Spurs' state of the art facilities or go to Grimsby on less than half the money...make a decision.

We're definitely producing a better class of "elite" player these days, but there's a downside further down the pyramid.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:59 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:47 pm
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:38 pm
I did also read that the kid's on £4k per week.
No idea, but wouldn't shock me. Chelsea have a kid who hasn't kicked a ball for them yet who is on over 20k a week. Some of the contracts in the Prem youth teams are mental.

It's increasingly difficult for lower league sides to offer comparable wages, which is one way the top sides persuade kids to rot in their development systems. You can stay at Spurs' state of the art facilities or go to Grimsby on less than half the money...make a decision.

We're definitely producing a better class of "elite" player these days, but there's a downside further down the pyramid.
You'd know better than me, but if the point of developing players is to see what level they can get to, it would make sense to me to loan players out and sub their wages, in part or even full.

That works both ways – I wouldn't expect us to demand Fylde or Atherton pay all of our youngsters' wages, if they genuinely can't afford it – or even won't rather than can't; if I really wanted the lad to get loan experience at a trusted place, and they said they were saving for a signing, I can see a benevolent blind eye.

In this case - and let's just say the £4kpw is true – the Hammers can either pay the kid £100,000 to play Academy football for six more months, or they can get a much more accurate idea of his potential. They've offered him an extension, presumably on better wages and for more than a year; a two-year extension at £6kpw would represent a £600,000 contract on the table. I'd be encouraging him to go on loan.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:10 pm

Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:59 pm
You'd know better than me, but if the point of developing players is to see what level they can get to, it would make sense to me to loan players out and sub their wages, in part or even full.

That works both ways – I wouldn't expect us to demand Fylde or Atherton pay all of our youngsters' wages, if they genuinely can't afford it – or even won't rather than can't; if I really wanted the lad to get loan experience at a trusted place, and they said they were saving for a signing, I can see a benevolent blind eye.

In this case - and let's just say the £4kpw is true – the Hammers can either pay the kid £100,000 to play Academy football for six more months, or they can get a much more accurate idea of his potential. They've offered him an extension, presumably on better wages and for more than a year; a two-year extension at £6kpw would represent a £600,000 contract on the table. I'd be encouraging him to go on loan.
The thing is clubs are required to maintain squad levels to compete in the youth divisions. That means only a fraction of lads on their books can have loans. It can actually be quite competitive as players jockey for spots.

If West Ham have two players they can send out, one who is signed up and one who isn't, they might think the signed up lad is the one to develop and write-off the guy on the expiring deal. After all, saying "He's had a good loan" won't impact the compo much - so they're basically due what they're due in development fees.

If West Ham feel they don't have a suitable player to send out and they have numbers then maybe they loan him out, but at that point they're more likely to seek a buyer. God knows what they value him at, but that way they can negotiate a sell on fee and mitigate their perceived losses. A fee, sell on and not paying 6 months wages could end up being a lot of money.

The fun part then is they have to sit down a lad who thought he'd get a loan and piss him off too :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:24 pm

A certain Mr. D.Charles is being linked with a £5m move to Swansea in the papers.

Is that 15x what we paid for him?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:30 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:10 pm
The thing is clubs are required to maintain squad levels to compete in the youth divisions. That means only a fraction of lads on their books can have loans. It can actually be quite competitive as players jockey for spots.

If West Ham have two players they can send out, one who is signed up and one who isn't, they might think the signed up lad is the one to develop and write-off the guy on the expiring deal. After all, saying "He's had a good loan" won't impact the compo much - so they're basically due what they're due in development fees.

If West Ham feel they don't have a suitable player to send out and they have numbers then maybe they loan him out, but at that point they're more likely to seek a buyer. God knows what they value him at, but that way they can negotiate a sell on fee and mitigate their perceived losses. A fee, sell on and not paying 6 months wages could end up being a lot of money.

The fun part then is they have to sit down a lad who thought he'd get a loan and piss him off too :D
Intriguing, thank you. I guess there's a balance between developing the players and winning games...

Meanwhile, the usually reliable journo Darren Witcoop is across third-tier rumours:
"Charlton expected to sign Plymouth defender Macauley Gillesphey. Set to beat another League One club to his signature. The Addicks keen to bolster this month with in-demand Peterborough striker Jonson Clarke-Harris a confirmed target."
"Burton striker Cole Stockton has admirers in League One and Two….could be on the move next month. Wigan forward Stephen Humphrys is another player who is attracting interest."
"Shrewsbury are set to sign Wolves striker Nathan Fraser on loan. Not the only League One club who had shown an interest."
"As per @DanielMarsh92 there is growing loan interest in teenage Tottenham striker Jude Soonsup-Bell. A number of Championship and League One clubs have asked to take Soonsup-Bell next month after his impressive goal tally for the club’s Under-21s."
"Derby insist Max Bird is not for sale but the midfielder remains a target this month for Hull and Birmingham. Bird is out of contract in the summer but Derby would be entitled to compensation due to his age."
"Jensen Weir’s loan spell at Blackpool is ending. Expect the Brighton midfielder to be sent back out on loan having featured in League One just once since mid-October. Impressed on loan at Morecambe last season."

I was impressed by Weir at Morecambe and a little worried that the Tangerines got him. But central midfield is the literally least of our worries right now, positionally. We've only got four centre-backs, one of whom is currently injured; the injured one is the only natural left-sider, and nobody has satisfactorily deputised for Rico in the middle. Wing-back cover is very inexperienced. Our fourth striker – and remember Evatt almost always replaces both - was born in the mid-80s.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:44 pm

I can’t see us signing anyone this window. I think we are probably two short of where we would want to be but just can’t see it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:44 pm
I can’t see us signing anyone this window. I think we are probably two short of where we would want to be but just can’t see it.
It's the window, let your hair down.

Another blog link to Ty Ashcroft. Once of Reading, now of Spurs academy.

A fullback of indeterminate siding, but our bloggy friends are calling him a centre half. Who knows with our back 3?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I'd be surprised if we don't loan a striker. Just as an option. But we might hold to see if one we might buy in the summer could be expedited.

Could also be looking for more at wingback. Evatt will know that JDC and Randell have dropped off a little.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:50 pm

Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:30 pm
I was impressed by Weir at Morecambe and a little worried that the Tangerines got him. But central midfield is the literally least of our worries right now, positionally. We've only got four centre-backs, one of whom is currently injured; the injured one is the only natural left-sider, and nobody has satisfactorily deputised for Rico in the middle. Wing-back cover is very inexperienced. Our fourth striker – and remember Evatt almost always replaces both - was born in the mid-80s.
If you can't get a song out of Weir at this level it might be time to call coaching quits.

This is after questions were asked about their handling of a number of loanees last term.

They're making us look good.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:53 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:50 pm
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:30 pm
If you can't get a song out of Weir at this level it might be time to call coaching quits.

This is after questions were asked about their handling of a number of loanees last term.

They're making us look good.
I would have expected Critchley to make a better fist of it than last year's collection. But hey-ho.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:34 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
It's the window, let your hair down.

Another blog link to Ty Ashcroft. Once of Reading, now of Spurs academy.

A fullback of indeterminate siding, but our bloggy friends are calling him a centre half. Who knows with our back 3?
I mean that’s the sort of player we need positionally isn't it? So makes sense. A loan I guess is possible can’t see much beyond that.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:41 pm

Jude Soonsup-Bell mentioned in DSB's post above - Ghost, do you think we might be one of the League One sides interested in taking him on loan?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:34 pm
I mean that’s the sort of player we need positionally isn't it? So makes sense. A loan I guess is possible can’t see much beyond that.
Bit of a Fossey situation. Moved, did okay in the yoof, then his knee exploded.

Spurs are unlikely to have written him off already, so I'd assume you are right about a loan. He's only 19, after all.

Like you say, works for us in terms of where he can play. Either flank and can probably play wide in a 3.

Also, if he and Ashworth both play we can make "The Ashes" jokes. Win win.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:01 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:41 pm
Jude Soonsup-Bell mentioned in DSB's post above - Ghost, do you think we might be one of the League One sides interested in taking him on loan?
I've been working for foreign types, so haven't been following the London scene as closely as I usually would. DSB will likely know more, as that's his manor.

It's not the profile of player I'd have expected, but not sure any League One club would turn him down. I think he's more of a 10 than a 9, in old money. So with CMG coming back I'd be looking for a proper 9 who will run those channels, rather than a player who wants to drift into space and run at defenders.

If we didn't have CMG I'd snap your hand off for a player like Jude.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:00 pm

Jude Soonsup-Bell? Not a clue. What a name.

Ilesy on Dion £5m rumour:
"Not sure about Dion/£5m - but Swansea and Hull City scouts were certainly present at the Fleetwood game."
"Being completely honest, I don't see £5m. Nor am I aware of any actual bid. Dion's stock is high for a reason, though. He's playing well."
"Everyone very calm. Plans are in place 'IF' there was a proper bid. But there hasn't been one."

Which begs the question - who do they have in mind for Dion's replacement, if a bid is high enough?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:17 pm

Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:00 pm
"Everyone very calm. Plans are in place 'IF' there was a proper bid. But there hasn't been one."

Which begs the question - who do they have in mind for Dion's replacement, if a bid is high enough?
We buy Kacha from Cambridge for £100k and then send £5m "Dion Charles" to Hull.

"No idea why Dion's not scoring for you lot, but Kacha is banging them in."

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:23 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:17 pm
Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:00 pm

We buy Kacha from Cambridge for £100k and then send £5m "Dion Charles" to Hull.

"No idea why Dion's not scoring for you lot, but Kacha is banging them in."
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:44 pm

Rotherham have re-called Peter Kioso from Posh.

Didn't realise he was appointed captain for then earlier in the season!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:22 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:34 pm
Bit of a Fossey situation. Moved, did okay in the yoof, then his knee exploded.

Spurs are unlikely to have written him off already, so I'd assume you are right about a loan. He's only 19, after all.

Like you say, works for us in terms of where he can play. Either flank and can probably play wide in a 3.
Sources suggest he’s 5ft8 or 5ft9….

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:30 pm

Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:22 pm
Sources suggest he’s 5ft8 or 5ft9….
Sources close to the player? Because if they're far away it's hard to tell.