Seconds out, Round Four. V Blackpool away Tues, 30th Jan. 7-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Seconds out, Round Four. V Blackpool away Tues, 30th Jan. 7-0'clock.

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:44 pm

The team that finished the game at Carlisle would be a good starting point for this one.

I think Blackpool will be thinking on the similar line of the League is more important.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:08 pm

Ramsay is available to play at Blackpool.

Evatt: “There were some bumps on Saturday. Paris got a dead leg, Josh Sheehan had a bit of a back spasm – probably from all the twists and turns he was doing second half! Other than that, everyone is fine.

“It is great to have players back available, and obviously we have got players who are itching for an opportunity and a chance,” the Bolton boss continued.

“Some will get that opportunity and we are looking forward to seeing the boys play. Whatever team we pick, we feel it is good enough to compete on the night and hopefully get us through to the next round.”

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:45 am

Sometimes competitions are about prestige. Winning them tells the world you matter.

Sometimes they're about experience. Winning them gives you emotional catharsis.

This is the latter. The cup itself is meaningless, but the process of winning it can be great.

I have a whole family connection to this one, with a great uncle who was Blackpool through-and-through and mates with Matthews et al.

The Uncle Jack Derby would be a must-win game if they were playing on a car park for a packet of monster munch.

You do not lose Lancashire derbies.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:08 am

Well, we do! I’d rather win at that lot up the road in Feb! But yeah, be good to win tonight for that reason - not got a great record there have we. 7pm KO gonna be a sprint to watch this one!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:47 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:08 am
Well, we do! I’d rather win at that lot up the road in Feb! But yeah, be good to win tonight for that reason - not got a great record there have we. 7pm KO gonna be a sprint to watch this one!
Believe we've not won at Bloomfield since 1977. They have one of the best home records in England this season.

Nailed-on we batter them.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:58 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:08 am
I'd rather win both, but I'm your cock-eyed optimist. :mrgreen: No reason to not want to win every game; "it's not the winning or losing but the taking part" has a whole lot of clauses that include Blackpool and a few others that we need mouth-wash to even pronounce. Antagonism didn't just start with Tranmere Rovers. :oyea: :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:21 pm

I'll have the couch out later, the left window will be looking towards the north west and the right window will be set towards the south east.

Fingers crossed it'll work.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:31 pm

Ramsay’s arrival changes tonight’s plans a little. If fit you imagine he’d start, which could give JDC a rest… but if JDC is to be the back-up RCB, should we try that tonight? He’d therefore get experience in that position, and be there to help Ramsay along…

Interesting that Evatt admits we have pushed our luck a little with JDC:

“He has probably played too much, being honest, and we have run the gauntlet a bit with him because we haven’t had the opportunity to rotate and change. He has been so consistent and robust, it is great we will be able to utilise Calvin when Josh is feeling a bit tired and low. We can pick horses for courses, so to speak.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... k-january/

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:31 pm
Ramsay’s arrival changes tonight’s plans a little. If fit you imagine he’d start, which could give JDC a rest… but if JDC is to be the back-up RCB, should we try that tonight? He’d therefore get experience in that position, and be there to help Ramsay along…

Interesting that Evatt admits we have pushed our luck a little with JDC:

“He has probably played too much, being honest, and we have run the gauntlet a bit with him because we haven’t had the opportunity to rotate and change. He has been so consistent and robust, it is great we will be able to utilise Calvin when Josh is feeling a bit tired and low. We can pick horses for courses, so to speak.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... k-january/
Pretty much speaks volumes as to where JDC is at and what an acute acquisition he was at the start of the season, especially given we'd lost Bradley.

If we are going to play Ramsay then trying JDC at RCB seems a sensible option, but its not giving him the rest he may otherwise need.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:51 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:47 pm
If we are going to play Ramsay then trying JDC at RCB seems a sensible option, but its not giving him the rest he may otherwise need.
Not the complete rest, agreed; but centre-backs cover far less ground than wingbacks.

What might worry me is strains on different muscles.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:01 pm

Eight changes - everything but the back three.

And eight changes for them - including no Rhodes.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:05 pm

A shame we're not in a position to rotate the centre-backs right now, but I agree with all the other changes. That bench suggests we're not just here to make up the numbers.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:07 pm

Wish we could’ve changed the CBs as well, but pleased with the rotation nonetheless.

Edit: Great minds.
Last edited by The_Gun on Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:07 pm

Penalties at 90 mins - so would expect Charles to be on the field at that point if that’s where it is heading.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:09 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:07 pm
Penalties at 90 mins - so would expect Charles to be on the field at that point if that’s where it is heading.
I’d expect him and Vic to be on anyway - even with an early kickoff, by that time our front two will be in slippers with a Horlicks apiece - and hopefully toasting each other’s goals.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:18 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wish we could’ve changed the CBs as well, but pleased with the rotation nonetheless.

Presumably the CB role is less demanding than the wingback role so I suspect that is playing a factor.

As for the lineup, interesting gamble given the new lads status. I guess that Evatt would've seen enough of them to realise that they can compete in a similar style of play so as to not disrupt us too much.

Looks like he's changed as much as he possibly could.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:21 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:18 pm
The_Gun wrote:

Presumably the CB role is less demanding than the wingback role so I suspect that is playing a factor.

As for the lineup, interesting gamble given the new lads status. I guess that Evatt would've seen enough of them to realise that they can compete in a similar style of play so as to not disrupt us too much.

We don’t have any other first team CBs available, so his hand has been forced.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:37 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:21 pm
Mar wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:18 pm
The_Gun wrote:

We don’t have any other first team CBs available, so his hand has been forced.
I understand that, I meant in relation to playing JDC at RCB for example and resting the defender.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:56 pm

Looking forward to seeing what Ogbeta and Ramsay have to offer. Also time for CMG to show why we shelled out a decent chunk of change for him.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:00 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:56 pm
Looking forward to seeing what Ogbeta and Ramsay have to offer. Also time for CMG to show why we shelled out a decent chunk of change for him.
CMG is in really good form if his last two FLT games is anything to go by. 2 goals, 2 assists in 2 games.