We Must Beat-a-borough - Away v Peterborough, Sat Apr 27th 12:30

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: We Must Beat-a-borough - Away v Peterborough, Sat Apr 27th 12:30

Post by jmjhb » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 pm

Famous last words, but I'll think we'll beat Barnsley over two legs.

In the final, I think our style would favour us against Oxford. Judging by today, us vs Peterborough would be a toss-up. Funnily enough, I think Oxford might be a worse opponent for Posh than us.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 pm

I don't think the misses are important. We've scored more in 12 months than ever before apparently, so I'm off for a crafty wank about the 8 we put past Utd kids. It's not about goals. Never has been. It's about points.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:24 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 pm
Famous last words, but I'll think we'll beat Barnsley over two legs.

In the final, I think our style would favour us against Oxford. Judging by today, us vs Peterborough would be a toss-up. Funnily enough, I think Oxford might be a worse opponent for Posh than us.
Jeez this is complex. Our '"style" isn't important at this point. We are now, into "must win" territory, other than next game :-)

You have to beat what's in front.

Nothing else matters.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:45 pm
If it were just a league match we'd be thinking a draw would be a decent result. Winning 5-0..well, stranger things have happened. One can but hope. Que Sera..:oyea:

ae:) ae:)

And thus it came to pass. We got the draw away from home against a good side. :oyea: p.s. I see Marc Iles is trying to pinch my stock phrase..He must read The Trotter.. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:11 pm

Dempsey ‘we weren’t good enough over the 46 games and Derby were’.

Players are more honest about it than a lot of our own supporters.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:11 pm

That's refreshing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:17 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:11 pm

That's refreshing.
Yeah I think the honesty from him today and Cogley on Thursday has been good.

Cogley saying we were ‘too complacent’ and Dempsey saying we weren’t good enough.

Could do with more of that. We finished third so over the season have been the best side out of those in the play offs. We now need to prove it. Comes down to mentality now and that dreaded word ‘bottle’.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 pm

Bit concerned about thomasons dip in form. Might be seeing more of Dempsey in the playoffs.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 pm

I'm not that fussed about whether we can stick 18 past Utd kids and convince ourselves that makes a great team. The time is now. The time is here. Put up or shut up.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 pm
I'm not that fussed about whether we can stick 18 past Utd kids and convince ourselves that makes a great team. The time is now. The time is here. Put up or shut up.
That game really left an impression on you, eh?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
We’ve had promotion in our hands for most of the season. Chance after chance. The time is here and now has been the case for months. I get what you are saying but we can’t say we’ve not had the chances.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:08 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
We’ve had promotion in our hands for most of the season. Chance after chance. The time is here and now has been the case for months. I get what you are saying but we can’t say we’ve not had the chances.
We've been in 3rd for most of the season chasing the top two. Games in hand were a chance to get in the top two but to say we've had it in our hands is like we've been overturned by those chasing us.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:43 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:08 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
We've been in 3rd for most of the season chasing the top two. Games in hand were a chance to get in the top two but to say we've had it in our hands is like we've been overturned by those chasing us.
No. Saying it was in our hands means there has been tons of points where if we put a run together we’d have gone up. Mathematically winning all our games for example. That’s in our hands we didn’t.

It isn’t like derby were flawless and not catchable. We had a lot of chances and didn’t take them. We’ve got one more chance now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Yes, and fairly self evidently, had we taken some earlier chances we wouldn't have been in that position - what a thought, points make promotion, who could have guessed - but now the end is near. We could (unlikely) still have gone up yesterday. But for me, yesterday we showed the brittleness, surrendering a 2 goal lead. A game that we wanted to make a statement in, we have.

I'd put that statement as "we can run away with a lead, but if you play with intent and intensity, you can just get it back"

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:13 am

Thomason & Jones really poor yesterday, I think Thomason needs a rest and Jones although he's one of Evatt's favourites has been poor all season in the RCB position. I know he's decent going forward but Toal is a much better RCB and we need to stop conceding so many goals & IMO Jones is a big reason why we concede so many.

In regards to the play-off's personally I think that Barnsley is the easier game and we should get through, however it comes with more pressure - because if we don't get past Barnsley over 2 legs, given their current form & issues then serious questions will be asked.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:58 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:13 am
Thomason & Jones really poor yesterday, I think Thomason needs a rest and Jones although he's one of Evatt's favourites has been poor all season in the RCB position. I know he's decent going forward but Toal is a much better RCB and we need to stop conceding so many goals & IMO Jones is a big reason why we concede so many.

In regards to the play-off's personally I think that Barnsley is the easier game and we should get through, however it comes with more pressure - because if we don't get past Barnsley over 2 legs, given their current form & issues then serious questions will be asked.
I agree with all of this. However, I’d be surprised if Jones and Thomason don’t start on Friday.

Personally I’d go for:

Baxter

Toal Santos Iredale

Sheehan

JDC Maghoma Dempsey Williams

Charles Collins

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:33 am

We should know our best team for the next three matches by now - would be surprised if it doesn’t include Jones. He’s Evatts general on the pitch. But yeah I think my team swaps him with Iredale…
Thomason is a concern as well. Big game - Barnsley tried to wind him up in both league games to get him sent off. Phillips and Kane in midfield are clever little feck* (I’d sign both!).

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:35 am

The ‘general on the pitch’ thing I feel is a bit overstated. Iredale also seems to be a vocal leader who battles as hard as anyone.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:51 am

Thomason hasn’t been playing well but still is far more effective than Dempsey has been. So I’m not sure on the logic there. Dempsey becomes invisible too often.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:52 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:51 am
Thomason hasn’t been playing well but still is far more effective than Dempsey has been. So I’m not sure on the logic there. Dempsey becomes invisible too often.
He’s not been far more effective than Dempsey recently. I don’t think you’d have many of our fans in your corner for this one.