Tooling up: The summer 2024 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tooling up: The summer 2024 transfer thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 11, 2024 6:30 pm

Interested to see Barnsley's retained/released list when it emerges. Per Transfermarkt, among those falling out of contact are Devante Cole, Nicky Cadden, Herbie Kane and Jordan Williams. Jamie McCart's also been listed by Rotherham, whence he was loaned to the Tykes...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 11, 2024 6:31 pm

I have Ogbeta as improving going forwards, wanting in defence. He'd be a no from me, unless they think they can work his defence, better. More critical for me should we go up one. So yeah 2 WB's.

I'm fairly sure in MF you've described most of the attributes for MF general, Ghost.

I'd be a bit concerned as to whether Geth is a Champo CB and I've not been too impressed by Toal, recently.

Up front, if we lose JDB and Cam in summer, that feels like space.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat May 11, 2024 6:40 pm

:(
Last edited by sonicthewhite on Sat May 11, 2024 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 11, 2024 6:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 6:31 pm
A bit of space, but not much, considering we'll have AC, DC, Vic and Dan – all strikers Evatt spent club money on - plus CMG as a wildcard fifth forward.

Doesn't mean I don't think we should have an eye out - for instance, I wonder if there's scope for us to borrow Joe Taylor, if we go up. But we are getting close to the point where Evatt might have to do what he hasn't often done so far, which is to shift aside people under contract.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat May 11, 2024 6:41 pm

Would anyone take Kioso again? Seems to have jumped between a few clubs in Champo/Lg1 including loan deals. Did okay for us and has experience of a division up.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 11, 2024 6:42 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 6:40 pm
Would anyone take Kioso vacation? Seems to have jumped between a few clubs in Champo/Lg1 including loan deals. Did okay for us and experience of a division up.
I think part of why he left was couldn't settle oop North, mate...so dunno...

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat May 11, 2024 6:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 6:42 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Would anyone take Kioso vacation? Seems to have jumped between a few clubs in Champo/Lg1 including loan deals. Did okay for us and experience of a division up.
And yet he was at Rotherham lol

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 11, 2024 6:49 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 6:43 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 6:42 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
And yet he was at Rotherham lol
Luton, Northampton, Milton Keynes, Rotherham - he's clearly playing M1 Bingo. Must've got confused seeing Peterborough is on the A1(M).

I liked Peter K but I'm not sure he's "upper Champo" material. Certainly don't think he'd qualify for Ghost's description of "players who will scare defences" - but then again, Worthy seems to want someone more defensively solid. Can't please all the people all the time, and that...

(@Ghost - Reading activated Femi Azeez's extension clause - https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2024/m ... 4-07may24/ - doesn't mean he's not available, just not on a free)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 11, 2024 6:53 pm

Hmm, Worthy wants someone a bit more solid. I prefer Randall defensively, suspect Bradley might cost a few quid, but Ogbeta for me doesn't bother nearly enough defensively..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 11, 2024 7:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 6:53 pm
Hmm, Worthy wants someone a bit more solid. I prefer Randall defensively, suspect Bradley might cost a few quid, but Ogbeta for me doesn't bother nearly enough defensively..
Much of this will simply depend on the league we are in.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 11, 2024 7:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
I have Ogbeta as improving going forwards, wanting in defence. He'd be a no from me, unless they think they can work his defence, better. More critical for me should we go up one. So yeah 2 WB's.

I'm fairly sure in MF you've described most of the attributes for MF general, Ghost.

I'd be a bit concerned as to whether Geth is a Champo CB and I've not been too impressed by Toal, recently.

The "midfield general" thing is interesting. I think it'll be hard to significantly improve on Sheehan this summer. If we sign Paris he will obviously start. Thommo is "a future Bolton Captain" according to Evatt. Sheehan is PotY. So if we're after a general it may be an armchair general.

I love Geth and Toal, but I don't think their ability will carry them much higher. They can both play a part next season if we go up, but I don't think you'd sign either to get you promoted in our system. I'd be looking for a really athletic, dominant centre half if I were Markham; but mileage may vary.

We'll have 4 strikers we've spent money on - apparently just shy of £2m in total, when you factor in bits and bobs - then CMG who we've spent more money on as a utility player. We may well need another in there, given Dan and CMG's fitness issues; but I'm not sure there's a lot of natural space. We do know that we can't go into games with fewer than 4 strikers, so that in itself may mean we go again up front.

It'll be interesting. We could see some really left-field foreign business. I'm looking forward to seeing what we do.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 11, 2024 7:08 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 6:49 pm
(@Ghost - Reading activated Femi Azeez's extension clause - https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2024/m ... 4-07may24/ - doesn't mean he's not available, just not on a free)
Cheers. Hadn't noticed.

Can't say he's absolutely top of my list of dream targets, but he'd have been a brilliant bit of business on a free. For proper money that calculation shifts.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 11, 2024 7:17 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 3:43 pm
Presumably Paris is the #1 target in midfield.

Sheehan is player of the year and everyone else is under a long contract.

So I suppose it depends on whether Evatt feels that department is strong enough as is and just needs a reliable Championship player, or if he thinks it needs a big boost. Strongly suspect that if we land Paris it's the former and not the latter.

If, as the song goes, "We have Paris, Sheehan and Thommo" they'll start...then if there's Dempsey, Morley, plus someone who knows the division and can be counted on we should be okay.
The reliable championship player. That midfield general, will do. :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 11, 2024 7:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 7:17 pm
The reliable championship player. That midfield general, will do. :-)
There's always Keanu Baccus on a free :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 11, 2024 7:33 pm

We ain't signed Veloso, yet! (Always good to get in early)

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat May 11, 2024 10:48 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 5:46 pm

The aim, if we go up, is the Premier League.
Sweet Jesus! Don't go.whiispering that too loudly - IF we get through the play offs, for some, anything short of play offs again in our 1st season up will be deemed an abject failure and nothing less than IE, Sharon & the board being hung drawn & quartered and dragged through town by horseback will be acceptable...

Welcome back by the way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat May 11, 2024 10:49 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 7:05 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

The "midfield general" thing is interesting. I think it'll be hard to significantly improve on Sheehan this summer. If we sign Paris he will obviously start. Thommo is "a future Bolton Captain" according to Evatt. Sheehan is PotY. So if we're after a general it may be an armchair general.

I love Geth and Toal, but I don't think their ability will carry them much higher. They can both play a part next season if we go up, but I don't think you'd sign either to get you promoted in our system. I'd be looking for a really athletic, dominant centre half if I were Markham; but mileage may vary.

We'll have 4 strikers we've spent money on - apparently just shy of £2m in total, when you factor in bits and bobs - then CMG who we've spent more money on as a utility player. We may well need another in there, given Dan and CMG's fitness issues; but I'm not sure there's a lot of natural space. We do know that we can't go into games with fewer than 4 strikers, so that in itself may mean we go again up front.

It'll be interesting. We could see some really left-field foreign business. I'm looking forward to seeing what we do.
Dan surely gets loaned if we go up. Nowhere near good enough for the Championship.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat May 11, 2024 10:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 6:49 pm
I liked Peter K but I'm not sure he's "upper Champo" material.
At the risk of sounding slightly provocative, do any of us seriously think that IF we get promotion, we are going to be trading in the " upper championship" market ?!!?!

Surely IF we ply our trade next year in the championship, then we will be trading in the " anything other than bottom 3 of the championship" for a few years until we can establish ourselves and push on??

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 11, 2024 11:05 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 10:54 pm
At the risk of sounding slightly provocative, do any of us seriously think that IF we get promotion, we are going to be trading in the " upper championship" market ?!!?!

Surely IF we ply our trade next year in the championship, then we will be trading in the " anything other than bottom 3 of the championship" for a few years until we can establish ourselves and push on??
Evatt has said before that he thinks Johnston is "a top Championship player, at minimum" and he's said similar about other players.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we will be competing with the relegated sides for players, Rather, we need to find players the staff believe can get to that level relatively quickly.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 11, 2024 11:11 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 10:49 pm
Dan surely gets loaned if we go up. Nowhere near good enough for the Championship.
The issue is what the manager thinks. Evatt was pretty definite during preseason that Dan can play in the Premier League with the right application and coaching. Obviously that theory isn't going to be tested if the lad can't run 10 yards without pulling a hamstring.

Maybe his curtailed season means he gets loaned out, but then you could argue the same for Johnston. Evatt seems to view them both as top prospects.