Tooling up: The summer 2024 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Tooling up: The summer 2024 transfer thread

Post by dave the minion » Sun May 19, 2024 8:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 7:33 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 6:49 pm
I'd be surprised if there's a wholesale change in personnel.
I’d be amazed if there isn’t. If we go into next season with Evatt and a similar squad it’s going to be incredibly grim. I could see it being bottom half.
Yep. Same team, same manager, lose 1r places in the league?!?!?!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 19, 2024 8:18 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 8:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 7:33 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 6:49 pm
I'd be surprised if there's a wholesale change in personnel.
I’d be amazed if there isn’t. If we go into next season with Evatt and a similar squad it’s going to be incredibly grim. I could see it being bottom half.
Yep. Same team, same manager, lose 1r places in the league?!?!?!!
The league next season will be far stronger. And Todd lost the play off final when he left the season after we were in the bottom six. So yes. We’ve been found out. The squad is meantally weak and no doubt will be under massive pressure next season. Yet I suspect we would need to be significantly better than this season to finish in the play offs next time.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 19, 2024 10:59 pm

There's certainly some mental weakness about, no doubt.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 20, 2024 12:05 am

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 20, 2024 12:24 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 12:05 am
Saw that. Hard to know if that means Baxter wants out or we've identified a better #2 as vital.

When Baxter arrived it was clear his fitness would be pivotal for us. If a young lad with real ability will come in and be #2 fantastic. I've nothing against Coleman and I liked the idea of him, but when he stepped up it was a disaster for a good while.

I don't want to lose Baxter. He's one of the last players I'd want out.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon May 20, 2024 1:02 am

Sounds more like Moulden has ties to Bolton so 2+2=4, thereby we're interested.

Same maths would give Bogdan a chance of signing for us given he's been watching our play off final.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon May 20, 2024 1:03 pm

Well, I know for a fact Moulden's trained with us previously.

Nixon's now also reporting Evatt wants to sign Ashworth permanently.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon May 20, 2024 1:05 pm

I like what I've seen of Ashworth, but he'd presumably need to be given a reason as to why it makes sense for him to sign permanently given he's so regularly been left out.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 20, 2024 1:05 pm

That would be peak Evatt, get a player in on loan, don’t play him, then sign him cos he knows best!!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 20, 2024 1:07 pm

Mar wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 1:02 am
Sounds more like Moulden has ties to Bolton so 2+2=4, thereby we're interested.

Same maths would give Bogdan a chance of signing for us given he's been watching our play off final.
If Nicko is just pulling strings, fine.

We need better players in parts of the 11, but we also need to be more robust in key areas. Goal is one of them.

When Baxter signed it was obvious he'd be superb, but he'd also likely miss games. The #2 had to be solid and unfortunately he wasn't. He did improve over time, but I'd welcome a change.

We need more pace/skill off the bench too.

Plenty to do and if it can be done early it has to be. Narrative around the club needs changing.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon May 20, 2024 1:58 pm

Nixon says we're after signing Ashworth on a permanent.

Has he been injured as he's not featured for months?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon May 20, 2024 2:05 pm

I'd like to see the following:

Improvement on backup keeper. He got better over time, but I don't trust him if Baxter is out for more than the odd game.

A couple of wing backs that aren't half arsed in defence, whilst offering something going forward.

2 midfielders. 1 that will get about and help Thomason out and another to make the midfield tick in the games Sheehan wont. We know which games Sheehan wont work in, so easy to shuffle them about. Would love to Maghoma back, but can't see it at the moment.

In Insanos words a beast at centre back

Assuming Jerome is hanging his boots up and JDB will move on then we need someone to keep Dan out of the side.

We'll naturally shed a few and hopefully the incomers will have a bit of gumption and help the remaining lot to step up when required. I'm still of the opinion we don't need wholesale changes, just a bit less of the nice and a bit more feck you.

I also think Ogbeta will be this seasons Dan. A bit of something there, but we shouldn't be trying to find out what...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 20, 2024 2:09 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 1:58 pm
Nixon says we're after signing Ashworth on a permanent.

Has he been injured as he's not featured for months?
Neither has Ramsay and I've no clue what has gone on there either.

Some aspects of this run in, as well as being really disappointing, have been just plain weird.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon May 20, 2024 2:30 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 1:05 pm
That would be peak Evatt, get a player in on loan, don’t play him, then sign him cos he knows best!!
I'm not sure that Evatt actually knows what type of player or players will get us out of league 1, his signings are quite similar - we have all (practically all) said for a couple of years now that we need a couple of more experienced combative, tough ball winning players, we have said that the overall squad mentality is poor and that the team lacks leaders on the pitch - has he addressed any of these, no he hasn't.

Again most have said that we need tactical flexibility to change in games (now becoming more regular), when teams suss us out (as Oxford did) - Evatt said he knew what Oxford would do to try and stop us, but he did nothing tactically to counter it, he also did nothing else in the game to try to counter it, we don't have game changing options on the bench, pace, trickery, skill - absolutely nothing. The game for me on Saturday was crying out for a Dapo, someone who could do something different to get us back in the game, skill, trickery & dribbling appears to be a dirty word for Evatt. Look at Barnsley with Cosgrove, a different more physical, tall, aggressive option when you need to get back in the game and go more direct, we don't have options like that - its all just more of the same, but with different players.

I keep saying it but to me everything under Evatt is robotic, pre planned, the players on Saturday played like robots - no one including the manager had a clue how to change or adapt to get back in the game.

Just like Nlundulu, a player who he hardly played then signed, if he didn't think Ashworth was good enough to play in the important play off games surely you don't then sign him (admittedly its only a rumour) - if he does stay then as a minimum he needs an experienced coach, a better No2 to help him tactically - but Evatt won't agree to get rid of Atherton, and he won't want anyone coming in that challenges him.

I do get it that some want him to stay, but he won't change at all - it will be exactly the same next season, with the same issues, same formation, same mentality, same tactical stubbornness

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 20, 2024 2:35 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:05 pm
I'd like to see the following:

Improvement on backup keeper. He got better over time, but I don't trust him if Baxter is out for more than the odd game.

A couple of wing backs that aren't half arsed in defence, whilst offering something going forward.

2 midfielders. 1 that will get about and help Thomason out and another to make the midfield tick in the games Sheehan wont. We know which games Sheehan wont work in, so easy to shuffle them about. Would love to Maghoma back, but can't see it at the moment.

In Insanos words a beast at centre back

Assuming Jerome is hanging his boots up and JDB will move on then we need someone to keep Dan out of the side.

We'll naturally shed a few and hopefully the incomers will have a bit of gumption and help the remaining lot to step up when required. I'm still of the opinion we don't need wholesale changes, just a bit less of the nice and a bit more feck you.

I also think Ogbeta will be this seasons Dan. A bit of something there, but we shouldn't be trying to find out what...
On Ogbeta, if you tell me he's effectively number 2, he's young and I assume they think coachable, I'm sorta ok (albeit he seems much more LW than WB). Undoubtedly games where the defensive side might be less paramount where he can get game time...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 20, 2024 2:41 pm

I think we need to separate signings like Forrester, Moulden and Ashworth from the Collins and Dions of this world.

We need signings that will really take on League One. We also need to make investments and some of those will fail. You have to sell players eventually, though, to keep the lights on. Lads like those can make you money if you get the deals right.

The coaches have worked with Ashworth for a season. If they think he has real ability and we can get him cheap then I'm find with it.

If he's being hailed as the saviour then not so much.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon May 20, 2024 2:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:35 pm
On Ogbeta, if you tell me he's effectively number 2, he's young and I assume they think coachable, I'm sorta ok (albeit he seems much more LW than WB). Undoubtedly games where the defensive side might be less paramount where he can get game time...
I'm generally happy with Randall, but he looks like he's missing chunks of seasons. If that leaves us with Ogbeta then we're in trouble. If he's being used as a sub to give us forward momentum and fill in the odd game then I would be less concerned. I'm not seeing enough to hope his defensive side improves sufficiently for it to not be a problem. If we're signing him as a backup winger with some potential then I'd not have a problem.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 20, 2024 2:43 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:42 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
I'm generally happy with Randall, but he looks like he's missing chunks of seasons. If that leaves us with Ogbeta then we're in trouble. If he's being used as a sub to give us forward momentum and fill in the odd game then I would be less concerned. I'm not seeing enough to hope his defensive side improves sufficiently for it to not be a problem. If we're signing him as a backup winger with some potential then I'd not have a problem.
What I meant, expressed betterly. :-)

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon May 20, 2024 2:49 pm

I would be surprised if Baxter stays. He will want to play higher up the pyramid. He reset his carreer with us, well below where he really want to be, but would have expected to be in the Championship next season. That hasn't happened so if a good offer comes in for him, he will be gone.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon May 20, 2024 2:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:43 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:42 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
What I meant, expressed betterly. :-)
I thought I was waffling (as usual) :lol: