Rising in Wembley's Glow: A Bolton Wanderers Tale - Bolton vs Oxford. 18th May 2024, 4.15pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Rising in Wembley's Glow: A Bolton Wanderers Tale - Bolton vs Oxford. 18th May 2024, 4.15pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 21, 2024 10:47 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 10:43 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:45 am
Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 12:52 am
Yeah it's both true that we were awful, and that they absolutely nailed it. Could see the plan and they got it bang on.
And thereby hangs the tale Pru, you could see it, I could see it, and the bulk of thirty thousand Whites supporters could see it: Why couldn't Ian Evatt? Send for Sherlock... :shock:

ae:) ae:)
He could see it. He articulated it pretty clearly in his post-match comments. That's even more worrying, he could see it and did nowt to change it positively. He said we knew what they were going to do before the match.

He tried - I mean he subbed Sheehan off way earlier than you might expect, if at all. This was not a "surprising substitution" - he could have made it after 20 minutes, comfortably.
We can talk tactics all we want but did those players have the belief? Did they have the fight? And I’d say the answer to both of those is no.

Either they were so confident and arrogant they would win that they just turned up and played like that or they had no belief or fight.

It’s sort of irrelevant because either way it’s down to the manager to avoid that. We almost blew the semi final so one might have assumed that was a massive wake up call.

One thing that I think we’ve gone wrong on is we’ve kind of continually positioned ourselves as favourites in our attitude and style. We will come and play you off the park. I think we need to go back to battling Bolton who will come and scrap against the odds. It’s always always been that way when we’ve been at our best.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Rising in Wembley's Glow: A Bolton Wanderers Tale - Bolton vs Oxford. 18th May 2024, 4.15pm

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 21, 2024 10:49 am

It's a lot harder (but not impossible) to change it in game.

But he said they knew what Oxford were going to do, prepped for it, and wasn't surprised. So either they got the prep wrong (tried to do the wrong thing), or tried to do the right thing but the players weren't up to it.

Either way that's a failure and something that needs addressing sharpish.

The subs second half were desperation stations. One of, if not the, first times I've watched an Evatt team and not known what the plan was. That's never usually a good sign, and has often immediately preceded a manager getting potted, though most of the times previously there's been another game a week later rather than a whole summer to fix.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 21, 2024 10:53 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 10:49 am

But he said they knew what Oxford were going to do, prepped for it, and wasn't surprised. So either they got the prep wrong (tried to do the wrong thing), or tried to do the right thing but the players weren't up to it.

The subs second half were desperation stations. One of, if not the, first times I've watched an Evatt team and not known what the plan was. That's never usually a good sign, and has often immediately preceded a manager getting potted, though most of the times previously there's been another game a week later rather than a whole summer to fix.
I think Pru, if all your players are pretty much carbon copies for plan A, it's nigh on impossible to change it in game. If you do what you did, you'll get what you got, yadda, yadda....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 21, 2024 11:02 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 10:49 am

Tactics are one thing. But why did Sheehan go and stand behind Harris every single time. And did not move. And Maghoma and Thomason hide further up the park?

If that was the plan which I fail to believe then that’s one thing. But I think it’s more likely that Sheehan simply is too soft once a team shows intent early in the game so hid so he wasn’t pressed and tackled. Brannagan showed us everything you need in that sort of player and everything Sheehan never is.

Sheehan easily could have dragged Harris out wide or on top of the back three to open up space but instead he stood there hoping he wouldn’t get touched.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 21, 2024 11:10 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 10:43 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:45 am
Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 12:52 am
Yeah it's both true that we were awful, and that they absolutely nailed it. Could see the plan and they got it bang on.
And thereby hangs the tale Pru, you could see it, I could see it, and the bulk of thirty thousand Whites supporters could see it: Why couldn't Ian Evatt? Send for Sherlock... :shock:

ae:) ae:)
He could see it. He articulated it pretty clearly in his post-match comments. That's even more worrying, he could see it and did nowt to change it positively. He said we knew what they were going to do before the match.

He tried - I mean he subbed Sheehan off way earlier than you might expect, if at all. This was not a "surprising substitution" - he could have made it after 20 minutes, comfortably.
This is the big worry. It was very obviously very wrong, and nothing happened. Then a triple sub which frankly didn't help but was better than sitting on his hands (hey it's a Plan B, even if it's a shit one).

His substitutions have been questionable for a long while. One of many potential areas for improvement.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 21, 2024 11:19 am

While I was disappointed in him, Sheehan didn't simply hide - Harris is a brilliant pressing striker who positions himself well. Sheehan could have done more to help but all their front three did a great job of cutting off passing lanes (Sheehan and WBs).

Sheehan is harder than he looks - he gets kicked from pillar to post and at one point just took some guy out completely off the ball - but I completely agree that he does fade from games. And a 6, like a goalkeeper, is not a position where you want 9/10 one week and 4/10 the next.

To me, the free 8s going too high up the field was more annoying and more obviously fixable. Drop deep, drag your markers around, ask different questions. Paris started to get it and dropped deep but he was clearly playing on one leg and that rarely ends well at Wembley - ask Eric Bell.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 21, 2024 11:27 am

The only player we had who was up for the midfield fight was Thommo who barged into Brannagan early doors. Sheehan visibly wilted as soon as he realised he was going to be in a scrap. I watched him on the replay and he did exactly that. Hide in Harris’ shadow. I’m not a fan and haven’t been most of this season but Brannagan showed us what we need in that role and it isn’t Sheehan. At least not in the games where we expect the midfield to have a glove laid on them.

I’m not sure what we do with the midfield as I feel since January especially it’s looked very unbalanced and weak at times. Play off second leg is a prime example. I like Thomason but he ran out of zip. He had a truly dreadful game Saturday.

Maghoma isn’t returning so that frees up a space. Dempsey isn’t a full season answer for me and I don’t rate Morley. Feels like a complete midfield rebuild is needed.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 21, 2024 11:31 am

We have four contracted central midfielders - Sheehan, Thomo, Morley, Dempsey - so we need more, whatever the manager and whatever the formation. Unless it's Ossie's 5-0-5. Or Mike Bassett's 4-4-2.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 21, 2024 11:37 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 11:19 am
While I was disappointed in him, Sheehan didn't simply hide - Harris is a brilliant pressing striker who positions himself well. Sheehan could have done more to help but all their front three did a great job of cutting off passing lanes (Sheehan and WBs).

Sheehan is harder than he looks - he gets kicked from pillar to post and at one point just took some guy out completely off the ball - but I completely agree that he does fade from games. And a 6, like a goalkeeper, is not a position where you want 9/10 one week and 4/10 the next.

To me, the free 8s going too high up the field was more annoying and more obviously fixable. Drop deep, drag your markers around, ask different questions. Paris started to get it and dropped deep but he was clearly playing on one leg and that rarely ends well at Wembley - ask Eric Bell.
Aye, Oxford were v well drilled and executed well. They let Santos and Toal have it, the wingers half and halfed between the wing back (so the only way there was a risky pass) but narrow enough that Sheehan couldn't drop in and take it off the centre halves away from Harris. And Harris cut off Sheehan. When it went between Santos/Toal they changed their angles.

We didn't move the ball quick enough, and were terrified of putting the ball at risk. Was very Barnsley last year for Toal as well, there were lots of times the ball to Ogbeta was on but he didn't trust himself to play it with his left and so cut off the angle. Was noticeable how much quicker they were onto Geth who they did not let have it.

Though given Nat's performance not sure that would've made the difference!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 21, 2024 11:45 am

Tue May 21, 2024 11:31 am
We have four contracted central midfielders - Sheehan, Thomo, Morley, Dempsey - so we need more, whatever the manager and whatever the formation. Unless it's Ossie's 5-0-5. Or Mike Bassett's 4-4-2.
Bizarrely our BWFC website, list 5 - the 4 above and Williams (if I ignore Maghoma as he's now gone). Wonder why Williams is listed MF, and JDC and Ogbeta as defenders? Dunno.

Anyhow, I think in that department, I'd want a replacement for Maghoma and someone to pressurise Sheehan. I think Josh has worked hard on the defensive side of his game, but there's no amount of convincing you could do for me, that he didn't cleverly hide behind their 9 (whilst not disputing the point that the 8's were a train journey away). Depending on the overall squad composition, I think we need to work out what to do with Morley, somewhere in that mix...

I am somewhat concerned that the positioning of the 8's was part of the plan, which would have taken some mighty brave out-balls to find them under the circumstances. Whilst not thinking Ric covered himself in glory, the movement in front of him was awful.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 21, 2024 11:46 am

Randy is many things, but none of them are *central* midfielders.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 21, 2024 11:47 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 11:45 am
I am somewhat concerned that the positioning of the 8's was part of the plan, which would have taken some mighty brave out-balls to find them under the circumstances. Whilst not thinking Ric covered himself in glory, the movement in front of him was awful.
Absolutely agreed. If it was the plan, it needed changing by 10 minutes in. If it wasn't, what the chuff were they doing?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 21, 2024 11:53 am

Tue May 21, 2024 11:47 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Absolutely agreed. If it was the plan, it needed changing by 10 minutes in. If it wasn't, what the chuff were they doing?
I think as he was expecting to have to go a bit longer, having the 8's higher would give us second ball wins, but Oxford didn't even let us do that. They either leant in, pinned the forwards and allowed the ball through to the keeper, or out of play, or headed it wide so the full backs could hook it.

Evatt was completely out-thought in every department and the fact he's trying to sound smart by saying he knew what was coming, makes him sound a bit daft.

A massive learning curve for him (hopefully)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 21, 2024 11:56 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 11:53 am
Worthy4England wrote:
I think as he was expecting to have to go a bit longer, having the 8's higher would give us second ball wins, but Oxford didn't even let us do that. They either leant in, pinned the forwards and allowed the ball through to the keeper, or out of play, or headed it wide so the full backs could hook it.

Evatt was completely out-thought in every department and the fact he's trying to sound smart by saying he knew what was coming, makes him sound a bit daft.

A massive learning curve for him (hopefully)
This, in spades, or he can clear off.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 21, 2024 11:57 am

Worthy4England wrote:
You would have thought if it wasn't, that he could've sent a message on asking precisely what you suggest - wtf are you doing? I think it was maybe 35/40 minutes in when Maghoma started dropping for the ball....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 21, 2024 12:24 pm

It was fairly clear as early as 10-15 minutes that we'd started badly and whatever we were attempting to do, wasn't working.

Given how often we've frozen, choked or been outfought in previous high profile games, I'm unconvinced that Evatt is capable of learning from this most recent one.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 21, 2024 12:40 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 11:57 am
Worthy4England wrote:
You would have thought if it wasn't, that he could've sent a message on asking precisely what you suggest - wtf are you doing? I think it was maybe 35/40 minutes in when Maghoma started dropping for the ball....
Quite. I did see him at one point turn in exasperation and gesture at his bench buddies - the international language of "WTF?!" - but the fact that it didn't improve smacks of Trouble with a capital T. Did he not know what to do? Does everything have to be agreed in advance? Can he not communicate quickly and effectively? Where were his "on-field generals"?

As Pru notes elsewhere, he's not a man beholden to one way and one way alone - purely in terms of strikers, he's adapted several times to several types. But it's always disappointed me that we just make these rare (if sometimes massive) changes from one formation to another rather than constantly having them all as options. Is he too prescriptive? Can he change that?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 21, 2024 1:00 pm

I get all the ‘tactical talks’ and it is a weakness. But fundamentally I think it’s Evatts character that’s the underlying problem.

I don’t think he’s got that fire to drive him on to do every little thing to squeeze every little result out.

He talks about performances and process but I think there is too much focus on ‘we just do what we do’ and not nearly enough on stopping the opposition.

You need to be nasty. Cold. Ruthless and economical to win this league. If you can’t win a game one way you need to do it another. And I think the whole ‘plan B’ is overplayed. Teams need tactical tweaks and changes in game and between games. But that isn’t really the issue. It’s that the way Evatt has told us you ‘have to play’ is always going to be one dimensional.

He would need to accept entirely that his way is wrong and change it lock stock and barrel. And have the attitude that every single league game needs to be won and we need to show a hunger and desire and fight to win it. This is a scrappers league. Unless we sign outstanding players in a number of positions we won’t go up next season trying to play like we are.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 21, 2024 1:56 pm

Last para. Can't see that happening because he won't believe it, so even if he tried, it would be difficult to pull off and there are almost certainly better managers for any lock, stock and barrel scenario ( by which I mean, if you changed to everyone's favourite witch, hoofball, there's certainly better managers at that than Evatt would be at hoofball)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 21, 2024 2:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 1:56 pm
Last para. Can't see that happening because he won't believe it, so even if he tried, it would be difficult to pull off and there are almost certainly better managers for any lock, stock and barrel scenario ( by which I mean, if you changed to everyone's favourite witch, hoofball, there's certainly better managers at that than Evatt would be at hoofball)
I don’t think we should play hoofball. But practically every team I’ve seen go up bar maybe Ipswich who spent ridiculous sums of money has more or less been solid and hard to breakdown with enough quality in forward areas to win games. They can play front foot football - but at a higher tempo than us, keep the ball when needed but also do what Oxford did in their run in. Sit on top of the oppositions midfield and dominate it.

We have for me systemic and structural problems. We never look convincing when pressed. Our midfield is always fragile. When teams go more direct against us we look rattled too. And ultimately I think we are having to do too much running since we are always stretching the pitch out and it catches up with us as the season goes on. I fundamentally believe the ‘Evatt project’ has failed. If he is to continue he’d need to entirely abandon it and go with something more befitting a side desperate to get out of this league. Mousinho with no experience managed this at Portsmouth. They didn’t have to play like we did they win games in all sorts of ways. Thats got to be what we strive to do if we want success.