Should I(E) stay or should I(E) go?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should Ian Evatt stay as Bolton manager?

Stay
61%
Go
39%

Total votes: 38

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Should I(E) stay or should I(E) go?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 22, 2024 4:39 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 4:33 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 4:12 pm
By the relegation Gartside was already in full on disaster mitigation mode. He was trying to persuade Eddie not to turn the taps off and already knew it was a trickle at best. It was already too late. Coyle should have gone in the November the season before. Not making that decision was fateful. I think not that long into that champo season he’d already started trying to find backing to buy the club from ED as he knew things wouldn’t last for that long. He said that we had to stick with the manager and back him as persuading ED to keep putting money in with a new manager would be impossible. The line was ‘a blip’ we were unlucky we will get back. But I don’t think it made a lot of difference. When we lost to Villa at home Coyle should have been sent packing then. Think Phil knew it too.
I don't understand what you're hoping to do here.

You're relating events to me that I was there for.

I was speaking to Phil almost every day at this point. I was at Euxton with Owen discussing his processes.

I'm genuinely lost as to what makes you think you can teach me about my own life during this period.
So you will know how disastrous it was they didn’t sack Coyle in the November of the premiership season. We’d have had a chance of staying up and avoiding the worse that was to come.

It’s a prime example of a terrible non decision. And my point is Phil knew it later too. But now we shouldn’t make the same mistake again. If Evatt stays he should not be kept on unless he is clearly going to deliver against target. Backing a manager when they aren’t is not the answer in every situation.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 22, 2024 4:58 pm

Alex Neil going to Birmingham apparently.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed May 22, 2024 5:50 pm

I still cant see Evatt staying... no money .. goodwill lost ...tactically found out... standing on a banana skin with fans... I would recommend he takes the best offer out there and leave.

If he stays, I will back him and the club as I always do and hope for the best.. but deep down I know that's a dream as my heart tells me failure. But I will support no matter what. Its my team.

Better yet... if he stays and recruit wingers and solid defenders/midfielders ready for battle to complement some of what we will still have (we will need to sell some of our stars to balance the budget), I will be more optimistic that we can compete. If not, then give someone else the opportunity to get us out of the Division and make some money for the investors. Lets hope common sense and not sentiments prevail.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 22, 2024 6:04 pm

We had a good side, a very good side, and we almost got there. I.E got it wrong in that one game and it cost us. The world keeps turning. Our time will come.

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 22, 2024 6:31 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 5:50 pm
If he stays, I will back him and the club as I always do and hope for the best.. but deep down I know that's a dream as my heart tells me failure. But I will support no matter what. Its my team.
Damn right, my friend.

It's my team no matter who's in the dug-out - whether I like them or not.

It's my team no matter who's in the kit - whether I like them or not.

It's my team no matter who's in the boardroom - whether I like them or not.

It's my team. It's your team. It's our team. It's an entity that shifts and changes but it's our team. That's why we're here.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 22, 2024 6:37 pm

Home and away, come hell or high water.

I will back them every game. Doesn't mean I won't "have a view" between matches.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 22, 2024 6:48 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:37 pm
I will back them every game. Doesn't mean I won't "have a view" between matches.
Of course. We’ve all served enough time to have an opinion, and I’ll defend the right to do so, even if to me that opinion is literally as well as nominatively insane

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 22, 2024 6:53 pm

61-39 in the voting now. I'm running short on emails for alt accounts, though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 22, 2024 7:00 pm

I want to win every game, get promoted, play at all times like we mean it and justify my handing over £60 of hard earned to watch it. If it was a marriage, there'd be a pre-nup. It doesn't matter much whether I like them or not.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 22, 2024 7:03 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:53 pm
61-39 in the voting now. I'm running short on emails for alt accounts, though.
118 a piece across here and WW - you probably need to sign up for a few alts over there too. :D

Edit: Given the question "what's our media team doing" - we might have our answer! :mrgreen:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 22, 2024 7:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 7:03 pm
118 a piece across here and WW - you probably need to sign up for a few alts over there too. :D
I'm not slumming it :D

Is "Bolton Nuts" or whatever it was still a thing?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu May 23, 2024 1:23 pm

For me, whether Evatt stays or goes comes down to one thing.......wil lhe revert back to 4-3-3, his preferred formation? For me why can't he recruit players flexible enough to play either 5-3-2 AND 4-3-3? There's your plan A and B. Which one is which depends on who the opposition is? If he is not going to move from 5-3-2 just to accommodate Santos then he has to go, it's as simple as that for me. But at the end of the day it's going to be down to Sharon and the Board. Whatever is going to happen, then we need to be hearing from the club now, not next week and not just from the player.
Last edited by sonicthewhite on Thu May 23, 2024 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 23, 2024 2:00 pm

^^ It is possible we'vd not heard from Shaz/Ian/Board, because it's not occurred to them that it's even a thing...

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu May 23, 2024 2:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 2:00 pm
^^ It is possible we'vd not heard from Shaz/Ian/Board, because it's not occurred to them that it's even a thing...
That is a possibility as well my friend, but I don't feel that. As an owner Sharon will be switching between her rose tinters and her business goggles. Her rose tinters will be telling her "Oh dear, so near in the end, lets try again next season". Her business goggles will be telling her " Damn! We NEEDED promotion".

It's going to be an interesting summer whichever way you look at it.
Last edited by sonicthewhite on Thu May 23, 2024 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 23, 2024 2:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
In terms of sacking him at least. She could hardly go from the lavish praise in parliament to binning him off in one game.

Hard to imagine they're not all acutely aware of the online chatter, however. Fan outreach has been one of their primary goals.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 23, 2024 2:45 pm

Darrell Clarke has been appointed Barnsley head ‘coatch’ their spelling not mine.

I actually think that’s a good appointment. I’d have had him here.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 23, 2024 4:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
They've obviously told Ian to get away for a week or so, shut the blinds, turn the phone off and have some time away to reflect and come back with his plans for next season. They will not get rid of him at this stage. Ball is in his court.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri May 24, 2024 9:12 am

The longer it is before we hear from either Evatt or the board, the more difficult it will get if he stays.

IMO we need to hear something next week.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri May 24, 2024 9:37 am

Or.....
Maybe the thought of walking/sacking hasn't crossed either IE's/Sharon's minds, and only exists in a few anonymous internet forummers (is that a word?) & BEN story commenters (another one - is that a word, or is it commentators?) opinions, so nobody feels any form of official statement is necessary???

I'd personally prefer it if they've all been given a week or so off to reflect and lick their wounds, and then come back and start preparing for next season, without the need for grandiose statements or (oft infamous) votes of confidence for something they don't feel is necessary...........

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 24, 2024 10:13 am

^^ There's only a few anonymous internet forummers wanting him to stay and the board say nowt (if you're judging on an equitable basis) :-)

Ghost suggests they'd have probably spotted some discontent through their media team, but I do agree, to make some sort of statement would be not unadjacent to the "vote of confidence," and on that basis, I wouldn't say much, apart from maybe "Managers, players had a week off and are now raring to go" type of generic bullshit.