Should I(E) stay or should I(E) go?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should Ian Evatt stay as Bolton manager?

Stay
61%
Go
39%

Total votes: 38

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Should I(E) stay or should I(E) go?

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun May 26, 2024 2:02 pm

Evert rates himself as a top manager. He should take a leaf out from the book of the best...Pep. City lost in the FA Cup.. none of I dont know what happened, menatal toughness of players need looking into, players mistakes at the back etc... Pep simply said I got it wrong in the first half with my plan.

United, blocked the midfield, allowed City all the posession at the back and countered them. Sounds familiar. Pep changed it in the 2nd... bringing on a winger, taking off his midfield general after he made a bad cross after having a mediocre game. They came back into it but too late. He said, it was his fault with his tactics.

Hope our boss understands one day that he got it wrong at Wembley.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 27, 2024 9:56 am

https://x.com/marciles/status/179498969 ... o4TppbHkNQ

Gethin Jones “'I have been here now for four years and I can think of only a few times where we have really come up with a performance when the pressure was really on…….And 100 per cent the criticism we have had is fair on that, we just haven’t come up to standard in the big games. Collectively, we have to be better than that, we can’t drop that many points and expect to get promotion.”

Maybe these underlying issues can now at the least be put in the open. Instead of being dismissed. We haven’t performed in big games on a consistent basis. And that needs addressing with personnel who do and will. You won’t change that mentality in this group. It’s too ingrained in them. So either a whole new group of players or a change of manager.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon May 27, 2024 10:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 9:56 am

Gethin Jones “'I have been here now for four years and I can think of only a few times where we have really come up with a performance when the pressure was really on…….And 100 per cent the criticism we have had is fair on that, we just haven’t come up to standard in the big games. Collectively, we have to be better than that, we can’t drop that many points and expect to get promotion.”

Maybe these underlying issues can now at the least be put in the open. Instead of being dismissed. We haven’t performed in big games on a consistent basis. And that needs addressing with personnel who do and will. You won’t change that mentality in this group. It’s too ingrained in them. So either a whole new group of players or a change of manager.
I accept it might need a change of manager, but it only takes 2 or 3 players that wont accept lower standards or attitude to drag the rest up. It has to start with the manager though.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 27, 2024 10:57 am

I think we can add a couple - one at centre half and one centre mid - who will raise standards and drive others on. One needs to be a new captain, unless they are giving it team talk Thomason. For me we don’t need to rip up the squad. I think a couple will be enforced - Charles i am sure will leave, he won’t sign a new deal and this summer is our best chance of a profit.

I think if Evatt was off we would know by now. Sadly that means the recruitment we need won’t get done, or it will and we’ll have to appoint a manager willing to work with it when it inevitably goes to shit after a bad run. Theres not a chance we won’t have a bad run under Evatt and fans will not be quiet this time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 27, 2024 11:00 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 10:55 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I accept it might need a change of manager, but it only takes 2 or 3 players that wont accept lower standards or attitude to drag the rest up. It has to start with the manager though.
Yeah maybe. I think it needs maybe 4 or 5 experienced players who have done this before. Got out of this league. Who are mentally and physically strong and will demand the same from others. But I doubt Evatt will be able to do this as it would need sacrifices and compromise in what he wants to do.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon May 27, 2024 12:33 pm

I agree with Dibs, if he's gone I think that we would have heard by now (at least a rumour or 2) - therefore unfortunately I think he's staying so its highly to be more of the same, I would be shocked (although pleasantly surprised) if he brought in 2 or 3 combative, mentally strong leader types in, as a minimum a CB & midfielder.

I also think that we need a pacy, tricky winger & big strong CF so that we can change things up when required - again I would be shocked, but pleasantly surprised if he (Evatt) did this.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 27, 2024 1:17 pm

You'd think he was the worst manager in the league, not one of the best..?

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon May 27, 2024 1:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 11:00 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 10:55 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yeah maybe. I think it needs maybe 4 or 5 experienced players who have done this before. Got out of this league. Who are mentally and physically strong and will demand the same from others. But I doubt Evatt will be able to do this as it would need sacrifices and compromise in what he wants to do.
Short of a few of the likes of Dion leaving I don't think we're seeing 4 or 5 of the sort you're talking about. If we can get a couple in, along with a couple more decent signings at WB/wing/LB/RB (depends what we're playing next year), and an adjustment from Evatt himself, we can improve enough. Going to need the right ones though, We don't need to totally rip things up. Can't see the Board and finances allowing for that unless we get big fees for the ones we can clear out.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 27, 2024 1:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 1:17 pm
Wouldn't you just :roll:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 27, 2024 1:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:

It’s not that though - he’s failed, twice. He’s probably at the moment a reasonable league one manager. He’s had backing from the board and the fans. He won’t get the latter next season if/when we have a bad run. He’s not a bad manager but eventually everyone’s time runs out - his will this season without a 95 point effort.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 27, 2024 2:53 pm

Playoffs. P5 W1 D1 L3.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 27, 2024 3:03 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 1:48 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wouldn't you just :roll:
I think he’s what he is. A league one manager at a big club. Like Lee Johnson at Sunderland. Or Phil Neal here. He’s hit a ceiling. And now his players are saying exactly what I’ve said for two seasons about the lack of character and mental fortitude in the side.

He’s in with a large group of lower league managers except he’s had better opportunities but failed to take them.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon May 27, 2024 10:03 pm

Once more, leave the sense of entitlement will you please.

We are NOT a big club. We are a once big club that almost was wiped out of the league and are trying to rebuild.

I think some.fans need a big dose of a reality check. If some could get off their high horses about us having a divine right to be higher than league 1 and accept us for what we are, maybe it would be easier to get behind the team (& manager) and actually support them rather than constantly looking for fault and blame.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 27, 2024 10:14 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 10:03 pm
Once more, leave the sense of entitlement will you please.

We are NOT a big club. We are a once big club that almost was wiped out of the league and are trying to rebuild.

I think some.fans need a big dose of a reality check. If some could get off their high horses about us having a divine right to be higher than league 1 and accept us for what we are, maybe it would be easier to get behind the team (& manager) and actually support them rather than constantly looking for fault and blame.
I hear you. But Ian has been backed. An additional £4.5m from the fans. + what the board have put in. So please spare me, your bleating heart, whilsr I politely applaud.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 27, 2024 10:20 pm

That's £4.5 Million pounds...just in case I didn't mention. Not Bury terrirtory.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon May 27, 2024 10:25 pm

He has been backed. Considerably.
He has also failed to deliver on the targets he went public with. I get it.

However, through all his failings, until he isn't, he's our manager. And all those spineless bottlers are our players until they're moved on.

We need to support them and get behind them, but more importantly some of us need to very quickly get over this ridiculous notion that we somehow deserve more due to being such a "big" club, where anything less than champions league football in 2 years is abject failure and somehow a disgrace....

We have no more a rightful place in the league than that of an improving club amongst the best in the 3rd tier. I - like all fans - want more than that, but to cling into the idea we somehow deserve more is quite frankly embarrassing....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 27, 2024 10:43 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 10:25 pm
He has been backed. Considerably.
He has also failed to deliver on the targets he went public with. I get it.

However, through all his failings, until he isn't, he's our manager. And all those spineless bottlers are our players until they're moved on.

We need to support them and get behind them, but more importantly some of us need to very quickly get over this ridiculous notion that we somehow deserve more due to being such a "big" club, where anything less than champions league football in 2 years is abject failure and somehow a disgrace....

We have no more a rightful place in the league than that of an improving club amongst the best in the 3rd tier. I - like all fans - want more than that, but to cling into the idea we somehow deserve more is quite frankly embarrassing....
When you say "some of us," I'm thinking you mean "some people who think differently than me." I think he's been well backed, comparatively - the guy at Accrington would welcome £4.5m in our division.

With the financial backing he's had, the only embarrassing thing, is we're still in it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 27, 2024 11:01 pm

Despite their commercial values, Ronaldo, M'Bappe or Harry Kane can't guarantee to score every game, nor can their teams guarantee to win them all. Que Sera, Sera...

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon May 27, 2024 11:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 10:20 pm
That's £4.5 Million pounds.
Us getting £4.5m from the fans and Evatt being backed with £4.5m this season are not the same thing and I think you're well aware of that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 28, 2024 12:17 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 11:13 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 10:20 pm
That's £4.5 Million pounds.
Us getting £4.5m from the fans and Evatt being backed with £4.5m this season are not the same thing and I think you're well aware of that.
I am, wonder which way the fans who dipped in might see it? We're told it all counts, add two home wins on for advertising hoardings and reconcile in your mind, that we splurged £1m? (Was it?) On Dan.

I am truly greatful.