Should I(E) stay or should I(E) go?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should Ian Evatt stay as Bolton manager?

Stay
61%
Go
39%

Total votes: 38

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Should I(E) stay or should I(E) go?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:00 am

I think our system is actually restrictive in terms of how we deploy our forwards. Let’s be honest there are games we want to be able to hold it up. That needs a certain type. And given we also need to operate in partnerships it limits imo the players we can get on the pitch. Then there is the excessive pressing we ask them to do.

Yes there are games Collins can drift wide but it relies on space opening up and the game being transitional enough for that to work. I don’t really see us playing for example Charles, CMG and Collins in the same side often bar maybe if chasing the game. But I think as a three that could be quite exciting.

Posh had a multitude of fast attacking players and they often played across their front three. It gave them options but also of course meant they could play in roles that suited them.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:00 am
I think our system is actually restrictive in terms of how we deploy our forwards. Let’s be honest there are games we want to be able to hold it up. That needs a certain type. And given we also need to operate in partnerships it limits imo the players we can get on the pitch. Then there is the excessive pressing we ask them to do.

Yes there are games Collins can drift wide but it relies on space opening up and the game being transitional enough for that to work. I don’t really see us playing for example Charles, CMG and Collins in the same side often bar maybe if chasing the game. But I think as a three that could be quite exciting.

Posh had a multitude of fast attacking players and they often played across their front three. It gave them options but also of course meant they could play in roles that suited them.
I can't see us seeing much of CMG this season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:05 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:42 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Sure it it’s more indicative of a type of player. Someone who might run at defences and beat their man.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:28 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Could CMG fill the Paris role?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:34 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:28 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Could CMG fill the Paris role?
Not this season as he's likely to be out for most of it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:24 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:34 pm
Did they notify us of a set-back in his recovery? Ordinarily you'd have expected him to back on grass in time for preseason.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:05 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:24 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:34 pm
Did they notify us of a set-back in his recovery? Ordinarily you'd have expected him to back on grass in time for preseason.
Think prognosis was 9 months which would be November/December.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:43 pm

So we're currently on:

Dion, Williams, Nlundulu, Vic - hoping back for preseason, but not sure.
CMG - out beyond preseason.
Johnston - Recovered, but likely to need plenty of time to get back fully.
Santos - Was playing through injuries. Nothing confirmed.

That's over 1/3 of the squad at the minute. Anyone I've missed?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:53 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:43 pm
So we're currently on:

Dion, Williams, Nlundulu, Vic - hoping back for preseason, but not sure.
CMG - out beyond preseason.
Johnston - Recovered, but likely to need plenty of time to get back fully.
Santos - Was playing through injuries. Nothing confirmed.

That's over 1/3 of the squad at the minute. Anyone I've missed?
Do we only have a squad of 18? I mean, if 3 or 4 of those are good by kick-off, leaving maybe CMG and Johnston as the really toughies, then it sounds about "normal" for a squad with a couple of long term injuries...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:53 pm
Do we only have a squad of 18?
As things stand it's either 18 or 19, depending on whether you think Matheson is a proper first team player or not.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:55 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:29 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:53 pm
Do we only have a squad of 18?
As things stand it's either 18 or 19, depending on whether you think Matheson is a proper first team player or not.
Ta. The squad is always likely to shrink when we release the not retained list. I don't think we'd expect to head into season with 18, and you're still likely to be hoping all but a couple don't get there for the start. Work to be done.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:55 pm
Ta. The squad is always likely to shrink when we release the not retained list. I don't think we'd expect to head into season with 18, and you're still likely to be hoping all but a couple don't get there for the start. Work to be done.
Absolutely, I'm just trying to keep track of where we actually stand in terms of available players.

We will of course make signings, but whether we need 4 or 6 or 8 new players will depend on who is fit. That impacts how much we can actually spend on each player and probably the quality of each recruit.

Hopefully most of the lads are back fit for preseason.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:39 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:29 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Absolutely, I'm just trying to keep track of where we actually stand in terms of available players.

We will of course make signings, but whether we need 4 or 6 or 8 new players will depend on who is fit. That impacts how much we can actually spend on each player and probably the quality of each recruit.

I would be absolutely delighted with 4 new players, providing they are all starters.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:56 pm

There is also the not remote possibility that some of our squad may be the subject of bids that fall into the too good to turn category.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:06 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:39 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:29 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

I would be absolutely delighted with 4 new players, providing they are all starters.
We're presumably 2 strikers down from last season and a LB (John / Ogbeta / Ashworth leaving).

If anything, the B-team needs refreshing.
Flint, Lockett, Sithole, Toure, Tweedley, Yoro have all been released / out of contract.

We could do with a backup striker. Perhaps Carty is that player, perhaps not.

Charles, Adeboyejo, Collins, CMG, Nlundulu, Carty

compared to

Charles, Adeboyejo, Collins, CMG, Nlundulu, Jerome, Bodvarsson, (Carty loaned)

I don't particularly think we need to invest in another striker, perhaps the investment needed is in keeping our strikers injury free. All too often we had players out of action leaving Jerome to come in, and whilst his goalscoring prowess was left a little too late.

I'd settle for a couple of attacking midfielders who can play up top if needs be and a fresh LB.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:18 pm

We're definitely a striker short, as things stand.

Nludnulu we're not sure on, with his hamstrings. CMG is apparently out beyond preseason. Dion has an MCL injury. Vic wasn't back fit at the end of the season.

For a team that absolutely has to have 4 strikers available we are almost certain to be short.

*edit* If that striker is a 6 month loan, or a really promising B Teamer (or Carty, if they feel he's ready), then fine. We can't go in short in that area. We saw the impact it has.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:14 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:56 pm
There is also the not remote possibility that some of our squad may be the subject of bids that fall into the too good to turn category.
Well I thought Dion was a nailed on exit. Less sure now. Santos possibly given the contract situation. Morley?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:13 pm

Hopefully they'll be asking each other a lot of questions to sort out our current concerns.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:12 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:13 pm

Hopefully they'll be asking each other a lot of questions to sort out our current concerns.
So he's not gone then !

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:18 pm
We're definitely a striker short, as things stand.

Nludnulu we're not sure on, with his hamstrings. CMG is apparently out beyond preseason. Dion has an MCL injury. Vic wasn't back fit at the end of the season.

For a team that absolutely has to have 4 strikers available we are almost certain to be short.

*edit* If that striker is a 6 month loan, or a really promising B Teamer (or Carty, if they feel he's ready), then fine. We can't go in short in that area. We saw the impact it has.
Yeah, as it stands we need 4 strikers per game (typically 2 for 20 minutes). So a long term and a Saturday sickie and we're stuffed with 4.