Welcome to Bolton. Wrexham (h), 18/08, 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Welcome to Bolton. Wrexham (h), 18/08, 3pm

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:11 pm

Sure, but we also have to use our superiority to win. If we just show up for a scrap we'll lose.

Our superiority to them is technical.

"Earn the right to play" is true, but you do have to play.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:13 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:11 pm
Sure, but we also have to use our superiority to win. If we just show up for a scrap we'll lose.

Our superiority to them is technical.

"Earn the right to play" is true, but you do have to play.
Absolutely but you have to win the fight first that lets you play. Your better players will come to the fore when you’ve demonstrated you won’t be outfought.

I don’t think this will be disimilar to the Wigan game at home last season albeit Wrexham probably are a slightly less experienced side. But that’s it. We go out expecting a real fight and wanting one.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:19 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 3:37 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 3:31 pm
Why a Sunday fixture?
TV.
Ah, ta. Should have known.

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:09 pm

In both games so far we've scrapped and been pragmatic. We've not played possession football for the sake of it.

Against Orient we recognised their press was killing us, so we went in behind them.

Against Mansfield we understood it was too many changes (and too early in many of their Bolton careers) to be tidy, so we played a more combative and direct game. - regularly hitting Vic, who put in a superb centre forward display.

Wrexham may beat us on the day, but if they do it'll probably be because we've been too disjointed. It won't be because we're unwilling to to do the other side of things.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:23 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:09 pm
In both games so far we've scrapped and been pragmatic. We've not played possession football for the sake of it.

Against Orient we recognised their press was killing us, so we went in behind them.

Against Mansfield we understood it was too many changes (and too early in many of their Bolton careers) to be tidy, so we played a more combative and direct game. - regularly hitting Vic, who put in a superb centre forward display.

Wrexham may beat us on the day, but if they do it'll probably be because we've been too disjointed. It won't be because we're unwilling to to do the other side of things.
It’s not about that it’s about the mentality of the players in a big game. You can’t expect it to be easy. So we all go back to those games last season where Evatt himself has said we had issues. Rolling the ball around getting pressed losing it conceding, hands on hips.

It will be a fight. A scrap. And there will be a lot of pressure. Every player has to want to fight to impose themselves on their opponent. And be able to. If they have that attitude and do it we will probably win. If they let the opposition intimidate them or push them back we may well not.

Naive was part of the problem. It’s also mentality.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:57 pm

Not sure there's much to disagree about here, Insane.

It'll be a game where they try to impose themselves physically, but the same was true of Orient and Mansfield.

If the only thing is to point out there will probably be more pressure at the Wrexham game. Yeah. Probably.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Thu Aug 15, 2024 5:11 pm

Looking forward to this game. The media - hyped Wrexham against a quality Bolton team and the return of Parkinson who is well respected by the Bolton fan-base. A chance to show that with our new signings, a big crowd at home will not "freeze" us as before, and Cogley, Thomasson, Matete and Schon will give as good as they get across midfield and ensure that their press fail, with our forwards running in behind at their dangerous best, and scoring a couple. Expecting a 100% effort culminating in victory. Lets show them who is boss in L1.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:08 am

So team id pick…on basis that Evatt won’t change the system….

Baxter
JDC
Toal
Santos
Johnston (assuming ok after Tuesday)
Schon
Matete
Thomason
Charles
Vic
Collins

I can see a case for Charles on the bench at Arfield starting to offer more midfield control and am torn on those two. Other than that seems pretty straightforward to me.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:35 am

Bloody hell Insano! I like JDC as much as the next fan but playing both WB positions in the same match? Even his fitness levels might drop a bit :shock: Plus I think we're only allowed 11 players on the pitch, same as everyone else :D
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:42 am

Not that it’s what I’d do, but I’m guessing that Evatt will start Iredale and Sheehan.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:57 am

Whichever side kicks off, secret plan is ball back to central defence and a hoof into enemy territory (if it's us, we might ping pong a couple of balls prior to each other ), then we can get on with it.

Saying nothing you don't already know, but As ever, chances will almost certainly be the critical pivot for either side with a chess match caution against chasing the ace. Dion (if he starts) will want to put his errors to bed and I'm not sure he'd be my first strike option. Of those currently fit, Vic plus one of Dion, Collins, McAtee, Schon look to be the choices with some midfield impact from Thomason etc but a big Que Sera for all of it. Parky is no mug and you can bet he's done his homework , so no slip-ups please lads.
I'm sure few will agree, but when fit I'd put Jones at left back and leave him there. Just my view.

I notice Jon Bod has signed for an Icelandic side (a bit regretfully because I reckon there was another season in him and Jerome, but...) so good luck to him. Nowt more to add except..COME ON YOU WHITES..

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:59 am

I think he'll go:

Bax

JDC - Toal - Santos - Johnston - Schon

------------Sheehan ------Tommo--------------

---McAtee --------Dion ----------------Collins

The four question marks are Iredale (Johnston's fitness), Vic, tough to leave out at the moment, Matete looks good but I think not quite done enough yet, and Randy who I was surprised managed a full 90 so further along than we'd thought.

McAtee will have a point to prove, has been signed to play and suits that deeper role more than either Dion or Vic. I think they're largely fighting over one spot.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:15 am

I think Victor will start, McAtee on the bench.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:17 am

I think McAtee will want to show Wrexham what they could have had.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:24 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:59 am
I think he'll go:

Bax

JDC - Toal - Santos - Johnston - Schon

------------Sheehan ------Tommo--------------

---McAtee --------Dion ----------------Collins

The four question marks are Iredale (Johnston's fitness), Vic, tough to leave out at the moment, Matete looks good but I think not quite done enough yet, and Randy who I was surprised managed a full 90 so further along than we'd thought.

McAtee will have a point to prove, has been signed to play and suits that deeper role more than either Dion or Vic. I think they're largely fighting over one spot.
Matete and Victor were the two best players on Tuesday. McAtee was not at their level of impact yet.

If its based on ability and form Matete and Victor play. McAtee off the bench.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:55 am

The issue with Matete is he played the full 90 fairly cold. Asking him to play another at the weekend might be a bit much.

I think it'll be Thommo and Sheehan at home.

McAtee is still finding his legs, but he's available in a position where we're suddenly a bit short.

It's Collins, Dion and one other in that front 3. I don't think Arfield starts three in a week (could be wrong). We will want Vic off the bench if Dion starts. So at the minute that leaves McAtee or Dan. We've been managing Dan's hamstrings, so I suppose it depends why he was left out on Tuesday.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:57 am

Not necessarily based on form though. Evatt has been very clear that he's sets up the starting XI to complete against specific opposition.

Whether he always gets that right or not will define our season I guess, but it may lead to the odd surprise for some fans in games...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:17 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:55 am
The issue with Matete is he played the full 90 fairly cold. Asking him to play another at the weekend might be a bit much.

I think it'll be Thommo and Sheehan at home.

McAtee is still finding his legs, but he's available in a position where we're suddenly a bit short.

It's Collins, Dion and one other in that front 3. I don't think Arfield starts three in a week (could be wrong). We will want Vic off the bench if Dion starts. So at the minute that leaves McAtee or Dan. We've been managing Dan's hamstrings, so I suppose it depends why he was left out on Tuesday.
I will be stunned if Matete doesn’t start. Looks very fit and his experience is going to be really useful.

We need our best players for games like this.

Also be amazed if Vic doesn’t start. He’s playing really well - better than Charles in this system and was outstanding on Tuesday.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:25 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:17 am
I will be stunned if Matete doesn’t start. Looks very fit and his experience is going to be really useful.
Yeah, but you don't like Sheehan - whereas Evatt does. He was the heartbeat of the side last season.

Matete has come off two years of injuries and it just seems unlikely we'll push him to do two 90s in a week at this stage.

Nice to see Vic making our "better players" list now, though.

If we start both, great. Hard to put out a bad team now. I think Charles and Sheehan are most likely.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:42 am

Not sure you're into "form" off the back of one cup game where the teams made 18 changes. Good performances help, but tough to say anyone has made an unanswerable case. I think the baseline is last sat and changes from there.

Is Arfield starting three in a week? Doubt it. So then it's one of McAtee and Vic. Vic started strong but played 90 on Tuesday and we don't tend to play anyone through the middle for 90.

Matete and Randy played 90 off not much. As did Johnson but he seems further ahead, and centre half is less demanding. Iredale wouldn't surprise me at all though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.