Megson Out - Who Next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Next Manager

Mark Hughes
62%
Paul Jewell
4%
Alan Irvine
No votes
Owen Coyle
11%
Billy Davies
2%
Darren Ferguson
5%
Ian Dowie
No votes
Graeme Penis
4%
Neil Warnock
1%
Me & my Mum
8%
Other...................
4%

Total votes: 106

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:51 pm

Bruno wrote:Paulo Sousa would also be superb. Has a terrific style that he uses, and I reckon he'd take it.
Trouble is it took Swansea half a season to adjust and we'd be down by then.

We need instant results initially which is why its so important to get someone who knows the ropes and can get up and running.

Curbs or Hughes for me.

Somehow I don't think we'll get either! Given a few things I know were I a betting man I'd put a LOT of money on Jewell or Reid.

We went for Jewell last time but he wasn't interested then. Reid would love the job and would be seen as a "reliable" pair of hands. For me Reid is too short-termist. Also he is a drinking pal of Allardyce so maybe Gartside wouldn't go there? But it wouldn't suprise me.

Sorry if you've already said this Bruno but who is your top choice given what is likely to be available?

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:54 pm

Ah but Sousa would have better players here than Swansea, I think it would work but as top choice I'd say Hughes without a shadow of a doubt.

However I don't think we could afford him or the transfer budget he'd want.

I'd say between Sousa and Hughes as my top two.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:00 pm

Bruno wrote:Ah but Sousa would have better players here than Swansea, I think it would work but as top choice I'd say Hughes without a shadow of a doubt.

Have you watched us recently?

We'd not manage his type of football with some of the players we have here!

Though it would be an exciting idea, I just feel we need to stay up.

I'm totally in agreement with you on Hughes. I'd do backflips if he came here, but can't see it, he's probably still getting paid by City why give that up to come here with no money?

If he'd been out of work for 6 months I'd feel we had a chance but not quite so soon he'll be weighing up his options!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:05 pm

I've written an article on the candidates, it should be up on the front page as soon as one of the admins can check and upload it.

Why would Mark Hughes come? To clear his name, I suppose.

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruno wrote:Ah but Sousa would have better players here than Swansea, I think it would work but as top choice I'd say Hughes without a shadow of a doubt.

Have you watched us recently?

We'd not manage his type of football with some of the players we have here!

Though it would be an exciting idea, I just feel we need to stay up.

I'm totally in agreement with you on Hughes. I'd do backflips if he came here, but can't see it, he's probably still getting paid by City why give that up to come here with no money?

If he'd been out of work for 6 months I'd feel we had a chance but not quite so soon he'll be weighing up his options!
I think you are right, sadly So long as we are not raiding the bargain bucket again then we should have enough to stop up.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:08 pm

I see Walter Zenga's name is being mentioned in certain circles...

jay180
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jay180 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:20 pm

One of my mates is sure Dave Bassett is on our target list. He claims Bassett is looking to get back into football after leaving Leeds a while ago and that he has made it known he is interested in the job. Supposedly he has known Phil well since the late 80s.

I don't know if that would work out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:23 pm

jay180 wrote:One of my mates is sure Dave Bassett is on our target list. He claims Bassett is looking to get back into football after leaving Leeds a while ago and that he has made it known he is interested in the job. Supposedly he has known Phil well since the late 80s.

Thats gotta be a joke.

Would prefer Mike Basset!

jay180
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jay180 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:28 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
jay180 wrote:
jay180 wrote:George Graham anyone...

He has won titles in his time. Would be better than Iain fecking Dowie anyway.
Get a fecking grip.
??????
It's just a silly notion, that's all.
:shock:

Why?? Graham is a very good manager. Certainly better than some of the shite we are being currently linked with.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:28 pm

I see brolley man, who a rag had us down as lining up has been mentioned by no-one, including the betting.

I did select Hughes, but I think Verb's comment's struck the biggest chord with me, and he's right Hughes doesn't have a great record defensively. He would always be waiting for a bigger job to come along too. I'd also argue that he needs money to be successful. He did spend more at Dirtburn than we'd offer him.

I'd slightly side on Curbhishley, on the basis that his most successful period came at a small club with little budget. He'd do the boring stuff, he'd organise us and motivate us and possibly wheel and deal a bit in Jan.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:34 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:I see brolley man, who a rag had us down as lining up has been mentioned by no-one, including the betting.

I did select Hughes, but I think Verb's comment's struck the biggest chord with me, and he's right Hughes doesn't have a great record defensively. He would always be waiting for a bigger job to come along too. I'd also argue that he needs money to be successful. He did spend more at Dirtburn than we'd offer him.
I'd slightly side on Curbhishley, on the basis that his most successful period came at a small club with little budget. He'd do the boring stuff, he'd organise us and motivate us and possibly wheel and deal a bit in Jan.
Possibly, but not much more.

And he had a cracking defence at Blackburn.

My two concerns with Hughes are that yes he'll be off if he does well and that his personality is actually not far off Megsons. Hit a bad patch or don't start well and I can see things with the fans getting a bit tetchy again! Still he'd be my first choice though I think its a moot point as I think we'd struggle to attract him!

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:36 pm

jay180 wrote:One of my mates is sure Dave Bassett is on our target list. He claims Bassett is looking to get back into football after leaving Leeds a while ago and that he has made it known he is interested in the job. Supposedly he has known Phil well since the late 80s.

The very same T wat of a Bassett who, on SSN this morning implied we were lucky to have such a manager as megson, and I quote " Certain teams like Bolton have a shelf life, and I think they are past thiers by now"........................complete T wat....................

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:37 pm

Claudio Ranieri anyone????????????

jay180
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jay180 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:40 pm

Il Pirate wrote:Claudio Ranieri anyone????????????
Isn't he at some Italian CL club?? Again out of our reach I would say.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:41 pm

jay180 wrote:
jay180 wrote:
jay180 wrote:George Graham anyone...

He has won titles in his time. Would be better than Iain fecking Dowie anyway.
Get a fecking grip.
??????

Why?? Graham is a very good manager. Certainly better than some of the shite we are being currently linked with.
I did think, at first, you were joking.

You actually aren't ... are you ??

Wow !!!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:42 pm

There's only one man who can save us.

Step forward Fabian Zanzibar De Freitas.

Viva La Portable Radio!

jay180
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jay180 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:43 pm

Il Pirate wrote:

The very same T wat of a Bassett who, on SSN this morning implied we were lucky to have such a manager as megson, and I quote " Certain teams like Bolton have a shelf life, and I think they are past thiers by now"........................complete T wat....................
There is something about Bassett though, I like his style. I think if given some funds he could do a very good job.

Certianly better than Megson and more likeable as well.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:45 pm

... and again ?!?!?!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jay180
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jay180 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:45 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
jay180 wrote:
jay180 wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Get a fecking grip.
??????

I did think, at first, you were joking.

You actually aren't ... are you ??

Wow !!!
I dont see what the problem with Graham is.. He is a very good manager and has won many trophies.

The thought of Irvine,Dowie and Sturrock doesn't give me the same confidence.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Possibly, but not much more.

And he had a cracking defence at Blackburn.

My two concerns with Hughes are that yes he'll be off if he does well and that his personality is actually not far off Megsons. Hit a bad patch or don't start well and I can see things with the fans getting a bit tetchy again! Still he'd be my first choice though I think its a moot point as I think we'd struggle to attract him!
Glad someone's said it. I was beginning to think my memory was failing me. He dd well at Blackburn, under what would be very similar conditions to Bolton.

Forget how he got on at Man City, apart from he is probably the most high profile manager that Bolton could realistically attract, which has the knock on effect that he can attract better players than someone like an Alan Irvine for example. Also as he showed with Santa Cruz, he can spot a very cheap bargain abroad as well.