Megson Out - Who Next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Next Manager

Mark Hughes
62%
Paul Jewell
4%
Alan Irvine
No votes
Owen Coyle
11%
Billy Davies
2%
Darren Ferguson
5%
Ian Dowie
No votes
Graeme Penis
4%
Neil Warnock
1%
Me & my Mum
8%
Other...................
4%

Total votes: 106

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:46 pm

If the rumours of Coyle and Curbishley are true, then hats off to the board. Even if they don't get past interview stage, it shows they are singing off the right hymn sheet. I'm still hoping Hughes is in the mix, though. And if I hear that they've sounded out Ferguson aswell, then Gartside has well and truly pulled his bollox out of the fire as far as I'm concerned.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:35 pm

For anyone who's interested, here are the canditates from His Shaftship's last poll before GM's appointment:

Jewell
Boothroyd
Warnock
Burley
Davies (Billy)
Strachan
McLeish
Dowie
Brown
Roeder
Souness
Hoddle
Fatty
Other...

Megson is not on there (as nobody even considered him a realistic prospect). Are we in for a similar suprise this time?

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:06 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 435968.stm
Burnley say Bolton have not been in contact over Coyle

Burnley boss Coyle was linked with the Celtic manager's job last summer
Burnley insist no contact has been made by Bolton to speak to boss Owen Coyle about their vacant manager's post following Gary Megson's exit.

It has been reported that Bolton want the Burnley boss to replace Megson but Coyle has also played down that rumour.

"There has been no discussion about our manager's future and no contact from Bolton regarding Owen Coyle," a Burnley spokesman told BBC Radio Lancashire.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:36 am

Wandering Willy wrote:For anyone who's interested, here are the canditates from His Shaftship's last poll before GM's appointment:

Jewell
Boothroyd
Warnock
Burley
Davies (Billy)
Strachan
McLeish
Dowie
Brown
Roeder
Souness
Hoddle
Fatty
Other...

Megson is not on there (as nobody even considered him a realistic prospect). Are we in for a similar suprise this time?
Peter Reid isn't in the thread Poll this time round!!
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:39 am

FaninOz wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:For anyone who's interested, here are the canditates from His Shaftship's last poll before GM's appointment:

Jewell
Boothroyd
Warnock
Burley
Davies (Billy)
Strachan
McLeish
Dowie
Brown
Roeder
Souness
Hoddle
Fatty
Other...

I would hope we don't repeat the mistake of going for the cheap option this time round.
Was right all along

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:44 am

Bruno wrote:
FaninOz wrote:

Jewell
Boothroyd
Warnock
Burley
Davies (Billy)
Strachan
McLeish
Dowie
Brown
Roeder
Souness
Hoddle
Fatty
Other...

I would hope we don't repeat the mistake of going for the cheap option this time round.
Don't worry, we'll never choose someone totally inappropriate who isn't in the poll.

Would we?

tony cunninghams willy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tony cunninghams willy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:55 am

Would going for Coyle be the right move?

OK he is well thought of by the fans and clearly Gartside rates him, but we are in a relegation fight with a team who are under-performing. Coyle has never had to deal with top level footballers, their salaries and egos and I fear he would need to be a big big personality to gain the respect of the squad.

IMO Reid fits the bill better for the position we are in.

What we need is someone who isn't afraid to drop Taylor and has got the balls to kick Ricketts, Knight, Muamba et al into shape. We need someone who can command the respect of the dressing room with what they have achieved or their larger than life personality, of which Megson had neither. The players need an arse kicking at the moment, so we need a strong character to do that.

We have got rid of one wet lettuce, please don't let the next manager be another.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:04 am

tony cunninghams willy wrote:Would going for Coyle be the right move?

OK he is well thought of by the fans and clearly Gartside rates him, but we are in a relegation fight with a team who are under-performing. Coyle has never had to deal with top level footballers, their salaries and egos and I fear he would need to be a big big personality to gain the respect of the squad.

What we need is someone who isn't afraid to drop Taylor and has got the balls to kick Ricketts, Knight, Muamba et al into shape. We need someone who can command the respect of the dressing room with what they have achieved or their larger than life personality, of which Megson had neither. The players need an arse kicking at the moment, so we need a strong character to do that.

We have got rid of one wet lettuce, please don't let the next manager be another.
Aye, and some would say we got rid of one useless scouser who points and shouts a lot, let's not have another.

Now, where did I put the keys to the air raid shelter?

tony cunninghams willy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tony cunninghams willy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:08 am

Wandering Willy wrote:
tony cunninghams willy wrote:Would going for Coyle be the right move?

Aye, and some would say we got rid of one useless scouser who points and shouts a lot, let's not have another.

Now, where did I put the keys to the air raid shelter?
:lmfao:

Fair piont but for Peter Reid, read Souness, Hughes, Graham, Keegan.

Just any fecker who commands a bit of respect will do thank you very much.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:17 am

Agreed. Though I suspect Coyle does have some respect at the moment given his recent, albeit short, achievements. I said earlier that I perceive it to be a risky appointment but one we may have to make given our circumstances. I also believe that this would be a (baby) step upwards for Coyle and one he might relish.

tony cunninghams willy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tony cunninghams willy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:57 am

I agree it would be a step forward in the career of Owen Coyle, but can he go from dealing, with the greatest respect to Burnley Football Club, Championship division footballers (Chris Eagles excepted, probably) and Scottish Premier League rejects like Fletcher to dealing with established internationals like Jussi, Gardner, Klasnic and Steinsson, and overhyped Premiership footballers like Taylor, Knight, Samuel, McCann, Muamba and Ricketts.

Wanderers players will be on thousands of pounds per week more than Burnley players, would he be able to deal with the overpaid and underachieving "stars" that we currently have and more so gain the respect of these so called athletes who have looked like they have only turned up for pay day since August?

I would rather Bolton Wanderers have a manager who isn't afraid to throw a few tea cups around the dressing room at half time, bollock players who are under-performing and go on Match Of The Day saying the referee was a complete and utter wanker, than one who has a calm, boring and monotone personality.

I don't want Allardyce or Rioch back, but want someone who shows the same passion that those two managers showed for Bolton Wanderers.

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:58 am

I agree. I think Coyle has gone as far as he can with Burnley, the only way is downhill for him there.
Was right all along

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:12 am

tony cunninghams willy wrote:
I would rather Bolton Wanderers have a manager who isn't afraid to throw a few tea cups around the dressing room at half time,
this is often said - but are there ever actually tea-cups in a premiership dressing room? I thought players drank hyper-isotonic-miracle-hydration-sports drinks out of plastic bottles?

I, for one, hope there are still teacups - with saucers - and little sugar cubes - it suggests a gentler pace of dressing-room life - but maybe not one we're after?

(or maybe there are teacups - but they are only there to be thrown?)

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:13 am

thebish wrote:
I would rather Bolton Wanderers have a manager who isn't afraid to throw a few tea cups around the dressing room at half time,
this is often said - but are there ever actually tea-cups in a premiership dressing room? I thought players drank hyper-isotonic-miracle-hydration-sports drinks out of plastic bottles?

I, for one, hope there are still teacups - with saucers - and little sugar cubes - it suggests a gentler pace of dressing-room life - but maybe not one we're after?

That's a health and safety risk
Was right all along

tony cunninghams willy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tony cunninghams willy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:28 am

thebish wrote:

There are still tea cups in the Reebok dressing rooms, and its proper tea with one of those strainers which goes over your cup.

And they have a cake stand laden with french fancies and danish slices.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:29 am

thebish wrote:

There are still tea cups in the Reebok dressing rooms, and its proper tea with one of those strainers which goes over your cup.

That's be from Per Frandsen's day?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:29 am

Bruno wrote:
thebish wrote:

That's a health and safety risk
plastic

cost savings introduced to help cover Mandy's fee!

tony cunninghams willy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tony cunninghams willy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:31 am

thebish wrote:
thebish wrote:

That's be from Per Frandsen's day?
It was actually from Stig Toftings day. Per was more of a danish bacon type of fella.

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:32 am

I'd have thought the fairy cakes would be there to help out our lazy left-footer
Was right all along

senorjoeyo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by senorjoeyo » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:40 pm

Ivan Campo gives his verdict on who should manage us, also some words on Megsons departure.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... or_Whites/