Cahill an England international - most of second half

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:33 pm

This is coming from a bloke who doesn't understand why full-backs have to tuck in, so I wouldn't worry.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:51 pm

Prufrock wrote:This is coming from a bloke who doesn't understand why full-backs have to tuck in, so I wouldn't worry.
I've said before, and no-doubt will say again, the finest performance I've ever seen given by any one footballer was that given by Paulo Maldini, for Italy, when I was down at Wembley for our WC qualifier in 97. From LB he swept across the back four and overlapped on the wing - and was never out of position once.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:This is coming from a bloke who doesn't understand why full-backs have to tuck in, so I wouldn't worry.
I've said before, and no-doubt will say again, the finest performance I've ever seen given by any one footballer was that given by Paulo Maldini, for Italy, when I was down at Wembley for our WC qualifier in 97. From LB he swept across the back four and overlapped on the wing - and was never out of position once.
Yep Bruce

Maldini - awesome
Moore - awesome

Cahill - promising

Personally I have always preferred defenders who don't have to make last-ditch brilliant recoveries - having snuffed out the danger in the first place

On that point -You missed Hierro - awesome - esp in his prime
What goes around may still come around

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:02 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
That the Zola- Ian Walker 1-0 game? I was only nine so have no recollection of individual performances. Not that that Maldini fella though was he? For about another ten years after that as well. Best individual full -back performance I have ever seen was Yon Cashley against Portugal in Euro 2004. Best individual could be one of about 8 in the second half of Okocha's first season.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Prufrock wrote: That the Zola- Ian Walker 1-0 game?
It was indeed. Walker took all the blame for the goal, but he was no more culpable, for me, than Pearce or Campbell. Not one of the three of them had, in their wildest dreams, ever envisaged Costacurta twatting one, Phil Brown style, diagonally from the halfway line into our penalty arc, and nowhere near enough praise was given to Zola for his control, speed of both thought and of feet, or finish.

In terms of Maldini's performance that night, it reached a point where I actually stopped watching the game and just watched him instead. Seriously.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:01 am

jaffka wrote: :oyea: Sunday morning postive from Nutty. Well done.
Hate to burst your bubble but you'll note the only reason he's being positive is because he thinks Cahill's England debut has driven his price up and improved Megson's "net spend" (:vomit:).

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:28 am

Matthew Upson plays for West Ham.

West Ham are a club in East London.

Fabio would sooner pick (the shockingly bad) Upson than upset the media and pick (the much better) Gary Cahill.
Troll and proud of it.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:18 pm

as wrote:Matthew Upson plays for West Ham.

Fabio would sooner pick (the shockingly bad) Upson than upset the media and pick (the much better) Gary Cahill.
If the rumours a true, Upson had a right old spat at the management after he found out that he wasn't starting the match, hence the reason Cahill came on and not Upson. Tomorrow night we'll see if Capello has the cojones to leave him out again, or risk another player 'retiring' because he's not as good as other people at his job. If he has this attitude problem and he's called off the bench because of an injury, he'll be in no fit state to come on and perform. Capello needs to figure out which defender to upset.. Cahill or Sir Matthew of Londonton

I have no doubt whatsoever that Upson will start. But then again, I had no doubt whatsoever that he'd come on for Dawson!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:30 pm

boltonboris wrote:
as wrote:Matthew Upson plays for West Ham.

If the rumours a true, Upson had a right old spat at the management after he found out that he wasn't starting the match, hence the reason Cahill came on and not Upson. Tomorrow night we'll see if Capello has the cojones to leave him out again, or risk another player 'retiring' because he's not as good as other people at his job. If he has this attitude problem and he's called off the bench because of an injury, he'll be in no fit state to come on and perform. Capello needs to figure out which defender to upset.. Cahill or Sir Matthew of Londonton

I have no doubt whatsoever that Upson will start. But then again, I had no doubt whatsoever that he'd come on for Dawson!
And rightly so Upson complained, the last thing he needed was that the general belief proven that most defenders can do a better job than he himself.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:40 pm

If Upson starts ahead of Cahill i will send an envelope of canine feaces to Mr Capello with mine and Gary's compliments.

he his shit, even the world cup winners fans' reckon he's shit! he is also a complete twathandle!

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Cahill should definitely be starting, I think we all know that. Upson has had many chances in the past and he didn't do himself any favours with them.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Found this article on my internet travels this morning.

http://www.epltalk.com/gary-cahills-fee ... 054?ref=nf

Gary Cahill’s Feel Good Senior Debut Proves Passion Still Exists for Englandby Jesse Chula on September 5, 2010 · 5 comments
Gary Cahill's Feel Good Senior Debut Proves Passion Still Exists for England, 4.4 out of 5 based on 7 ratings

It wasn’t the most opportune of debuts as England center back Michael Dawson lay writhing in pain in the 56th minute of England’s eventual 4-0 win over Bulgaria. But when Bolton defender Gary Cahill’s name was called by Fabio Capello to replace the injured Dawson, it was a proud moment for Cahill himself, his family and friends, and especially his Father, who was said to have burst into tears upon his son’s arrival into the match that saw Cahill earn his first international cap.

Cahill’s Dad has followed Gary everywhere throughout his career, even sharing in the horror that Gary experienced last February when a mysterious blood clot in his left arm kept him out of action for a number of months and dashed any chances of the 24 year old representing England at the World Cup.

“My dad was crying his eyes out when I went on – he will still be bouncing off the walls at the moment”, Cahill confessed to the media after making his senior debut on Friday. Although an incredible experience for his family and friends, his appearance at the expense of an injured player was bitter-sweet for Cahill.

“My arrival wasn’t ideal as when you see a team-mate on the floor looking in pain like Michael did, it took the edge off it a little bit, but I was happy to be playing and extremely proud to represent my country”.

Cahill’s affluence of family support and his pride displayed in donning the England shirt combined with his abilities as a defender optimistically point to a long and productive international career. His passion in finally representing his country will hopefully rub off on a few of the ‘business as usual’ England players who may or may not have lost the true ideal of what it means to play for England. As allegations have recently emerged concerning the late night galavanting of one Wayne Rooney, Cahill’s innocence and feel good story hopefully won’t be over shadowed by the behavior of the aforementioned and the illicit.

I’d like to think of Cahill as a young positive influence in the England camp and the kind of player who brings that much needed sense of optimism with him. Cahill is a player who has had to overcome adversity through injury and playing his club football with the not-so-glamorous Bolton Wanderers football club thus having to work that much harder to be noticed for international duty. Cahill isn’t a flash player or prone to steal the newspaper headlines, but he’s a big, strong defender with quickness who goes about his business in a quiet manner. As so many footballers seem to get caught up in activities not pertaining to the benefit or betterment of their club or country, Cahill’s call up comes as a welcomed distraction from the ridiculous decision making of those who’ve stole headlines in the past year.

As the now sidelined John Terry and Rio Ferdinand continue to look more injury prone, it will be the young Cahill who will be on the minds of England fans as likely understudy to one or the other. Cahill should now get his chance to start with Everton’s Phil Jagielka as central defenders on Tuesday away to Switzerland. Combined with other players deemed ‘fresh blood’ such as Ashley Young, Joe Hart and Adam Johnson, Gary Cahill has helped to breathe new life into the stuttering England squad from a few months ago.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:29 pm

I thought he played well, but also agree with CAPSLOCK that he has never been as good for us as he was in that first six months.

Maybe he needs to shave his head again, Samson-style.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:31 pm

the not-so-glamorous Bolton Wanderers football club

:shock:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:33 pm

East Lower wrote:I tagree with CAPSLOCK that he has never been as good for us as he was in that first six months.
I didn't say that

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:34 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
East Lower wrote:I tagree with CAPSLOCK that he has never been as good for us as he was in that first six months.
I didn't say that
I must have misread your post then, apologies.

In my opinion, Cahill has never been as good for us as he was in that first six months.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:the not-so-glamorous Bolton Wanderers football club

:shock:
True though innit? Bit of a self-fulfilling statement though I reckon.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:46 pm

I don't understand why everyone seems to me to be blinded by the relative abilities of Knight and Cahill. Knight's poor start and his resemblance to one of those inflatable tube men they always have at the Nou Camp, which makes a mistake seem constantly imminent, mean a game without a f*ckup is counted as a 'good game'. Cahill it seems has to perform like a cross between Bobby Moore and Franco Baresi to even get an acceptable. Expectations are high, but IMO he's pushing Muamba and Elmander as our best player so far this season.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:I don't understand why everyone seems to me to be blinded by the relative abilities of Knight and Cahill. Knight's poor start and his resemblance to one of those inflatable tube men they always have at the Nou Camp, which makes a mistake seem constantly imminent, mean a game without a f*ckup is counted as a 'good game'. Cahill it seems has to perform like a cross between Bobby Moore and Franco Baresi to even get an acceptable. Expectations are high, but IMO he's pushing Muamba and Elmander as our best player so far this season.
Completely agree about his form this year - I thought he let his standards slip last season, and I'm very glad indeed that he seems to be back on track now. I think he's definitely better than the likes of Upson and Lescott (who isn't?), but wouldn't have him better than Jagielka or Dawson for England just yet.

It's just a shame that as soon as Ferdinand and Terry are fit that they'll walk back into the team.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:I don't understand why everyone seems to me to be blinded by the relative abilities of Knight and Cahill. Knight's poor start and his resemblance to one of those inflatable tube men they always have at the Nou Camp, which makes a mistake seem constantly imminent, mean a game without a f*ckup is counted as a 'good game'. Cahill it seems has to perform like a cross between Bobby Moore and Franco Baresi to even get an acceptable. Expectations are high, but IMO he's pushing Muamba and Elmander as our best player so far this season.
Think there is an element of truth in that Pru.

However, Knight when he's not trying to do more than the very basics is probably a more resilient out and out defender than Cahill is. Obviously all round player stakes, Cahill wins hands down!