Arsenal v Bolton (match thread)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

RobbieSavagesLeg
Promising
Promising

Post by RobbieSavagesLeg » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:15 pm

potter1989bwfc wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:Saturday is damage limitation
Which means what? Extra midfielder? Which means drop whom? Goalscoring captain/fulcrum or form-finding record signing?

Wenger seems to like Bolton under Coyle more than previously, and any further "You Know What To Expect" would further polish his reputation as Queen Whinge.
Drop Lee, Davies on RW M Davies in Centre

Under this regime, we should start off with a bit more than a 'Backs-to-the-wall-lads' outlook.

At least take it to them with our new wonderful brand of gorgeous football.

And after five minutes of trying that. Then-take off Lee and put on some brick walls.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:22 pm

I am not asking for much, I just want to see Wenger storm off the pitch at the end of the game refusing to shake Coyle's hand. Is that asking to much. I don't think so.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:22 pm

unless Coyle is stupid, after the shakey start Arsenal had against blackburn the other week - the strategy will be to put high balls into the box as often as possible.... if Lee can get out wide and provide some ammo (like he did for elmo's goal at west ham) - then all the better...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
potter1989bwfc wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:Saturday is damage limitation
Which means what? Extra midfielder? Which means drop whom? Goalscoring captain/fulcrum or form-finding record signing?

Wenger seems to like Bolton under Coyle more than previously, and any further "You Know What To Expect" would further polish his reputation as Queen Whinge.
Drop Lee, Davies on RW M Davies in Centre
Er, no. Why would you want to drop an attacking, pacy midfielder who's happy as Larry to have signed a contract for double his salary?
Because he's a pimpley youth!
Lee Chung Yong or Potter? :mrgreen:
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:31 pm

seanworth wrote:I am not asking for much, I just want to see Wenger storm off the pitch at the end of the game refusing to shake Coyle's hand. Is that asking to much. I don't think so.
:mrgreen:

And IIRC Lee tore Arsenal (specifically Traore) a new arsehole when we played the first game last season. He had less joy against Clichy the following week, but it was still a pretty good showing.

jonnyblease
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jonnyblease » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:34 pm

Lee hasn't been on form as much this season but he still more than worthy of a place in the team.

He absolutley took the piss out of traore last season, but clichy's pace was more of a problem for lee.

Im going for a 1-1 with Klasnic coming on to score us a late winner with a silky finish.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:36 pm

No reason at all why we shouldn't just get amongst them and win. None.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:No reason at all why we shouldn't just get amongst them and win. None.
apart from the reason that they are better than us! (That isn't a reason for not getting amongst them - just for not winning!)

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:16 pm

I think we need to play a 4-5-1 stylee for this one. Something like:

Bogdan

Steinsson
Robinson
Cahill
Knight

Muamba
Holden
M.Davies
Lee
Petrov

Davies/Elmander

I would be tempted to go with Elmander, but it aint going to happen. Hopefully Elmander can come on for the last 20-30 mins as Davo tires - but then again we will probably need a goal or two at that point so he would more likely replace one of the midfielders.

pete101
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by pete101 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:33 pm

I cant see us changing from 4-4-2, with the same starting line up unless anyones picked up knocks on international duty. 4-5-1 would put the emphasis on keeping it tight and nicking a goal from a set piece, sounds logical but I think OC will see it as changing a system that he prefers and has gone 3 unbeaten.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Elmander would be ok up front on his own if folk would pass to his feet, or at worst his chest. But despite a complete new back four from the Big Sam days we do seem to like the old nice person forward and hope

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:41 pm

pete101 wrote:I cant see us changing from 4-4-2, with the same starting line up unless anyones picked up knocks on international duty. 4-5-1 would put the emphasis on keeping it tight and nicking a goal from a set piece, sounds logical but I think OC will see it as changing a system that he prefers and has gone 3 unbeaten.
Yeah but Muamba and Holden against Song, Diaby and Fabregas is the stuff of 20% possession nightmares. The current system is a total fail against strong 3 man midfields.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:55 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Elmander would be ok up front on his own if folk would pass to his feet, or at worst his chest. But despite a complete new back four from the Big Sam days we do seem to like the old tw*t forward and hope
and the way arsenal wobbled against blackburn through a sustained arial assault for the first 15mins - it would not be a bad idea... horses for courses...

the key to the game is not scoring too early... anywhere before the 93rd minute and we're doooomed...

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:08 pm

What was the side like away at West Ham? Same idea as the home games?

Would you take Petrov or leave him out due to him not getting stuck in enough?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:12 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:What was the side like away at West Ham? Same idea as the home games?

One says drop Lee, one suggests leaving Petrov out and we spent most of last season crying out for some skill and a better class of fotball. :|

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:What was the side like away at West Ham? Same idea as the home games?

One says drop Lee, one suggests leaving Petrov out and we spent most of last season crying out for some skill and a better class of fotball. :|
not every game is the same Tango. sides who go to the emirates and try to out-pass Arsenal or match them for prettiness and attacking flair are usually slaughtered. Not every battle is best fought in the same way. I'd rather give arsenal what the DON'T like than play into Wenger's hands and then have him patronise us afterwards after they beat us 5-0 yet he says we played the right way.... as others have said - I'd rather after the game he was whining and whinging and throwing his toys out of the pram because we got in their faces and stopped them playing their flowing game.

apart from not scoring too early - a very stupid mistake to make against arsenal! - another key is to constantly harry and harrass and not let them settle on the ball.... high tempo - in your face (and consequently maybe the need to use all our subs - and before the 89th minute - to keep it fresh and at 'em)

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:24 pm

------------Bogdan---------
Steinsson Cahill Knight Robbo
-----------Muamba--------
--------Taylor Holden------
Lee------------------- Petrov
-------------Davo-----------

Would have a decent shout

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:31 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

not every game is the same Tango. )
WOW! Is that from Revelations?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Now, now. We don't need Tango Vs thebish Round 4,763.

I said I'd drop Petrov because Taylor is better at set-pieces and Martin has played two games over this international period. We've got a squad, there's no reason why we shouldn't use it.

It would be nice to believe that all things are equal and that we could go to the Emirates, express ourselves and beat them fair and square, but it's unlikely to happen. If we give Arsenal the same possestion and territorial advantage in the first half as we did West Ham, they will be out of sight.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Now, now. We don't need Tango Vs thebish Round 4,763.

I said I'd drop Petrov because Taylor is better at set-pieces and Martin has played two games over this international period. We've got a squad, there's no reason why we shouldn't use it.

It would be nice to believe that all things are equal and that we could go to the Emirates, express ourselves and beat them fair and square, but it's unlikely to happen. If we give Arsenal the same possestion and territorial advantage in the first half as we did West Ham, they will be out of sight.
Spot on.

And in their faces beginning to end. And hope they have a bad one. And the ref has a fair one. And Davies must play - just to please Arsene...

Nul points, I fear, but not a humiliation...