Carling Cup 3rd Round - Burnley Away

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ClaretCharlie
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ClaretCharlie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:12 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:No worries

Impressed with your typing skills

It must be tricky........

Congratulations anyway...you'll be able to stick tonight up on your honours board
It's been suggested already but unfortunately we'd have to remove one of our league championship winning seasons or runners-up seasons from the board.

Bolton has some spare room though, right? In the spirit of friendship... :P

edit: of != or. -.-

t_o_molloy
Promising
Promising

Post by t_o_molloy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:17 am

Had to get a Bus to Bolton, Train to Blackburn, Taxi to Burnley, Game, Taxi to Bolton, Bus to Farnworth. Wish I hadn't bothered. Oh and a Burnley fan of all people called me an inbred, he was about 12 as well.

Alonso is the slowest full-back I have ever seen, seriously. Anyone who still thinks he should still play ahead of Robbo after tonight, seriously needs a mental health check.
Last edited by t_o_molloy on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:18 am

ClaretCharlie wrote:
Bolton has some spare room though, right? In the spirit of friendship... :Pedit: of != or. -.-
In the spirit of friendship, please don't confuse beating our reserve team 1-0 with a disputed goal as anything worth putting up on a board. Just make you look downmarket. Our bad move, not your good. You won, be content and keep it in context.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:28 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:The result is an irrelevance

However, the famed Coyle management style doesn't seem to be hitting the mark with Mr Klasnic
Whats happening with Klasnic? Is he fit?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:29 am

t_o_molloy wrote:Alonso is the slowest full-back I have ever seen, seriously. Anyone who still thinks he should still play ahead of Robbo after tonight, seriously needs a mental health check.
Somebody thought him worth owt between 1 and 2 million

Anyway, he's a kid in a foreign land

Hopefully, he gets better, but I did have me worries after his 20 minute appearance against the Spaniards pre-season
Sto ut Serviam

ClaretCharlie
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ClaretCharlie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:32 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
ClaretCharlie wrote:
Bolton has some spare room though, right? In the spirit of friendship... :Pedit: of != or. -.-
In the spirit of friendship, please don't confuse beating our reserve team 1-0 with a disputed goal as anything worth putting up on a board. Just make you look downmarket. Our bad move, not your good. You won, be content and keep it in context.
I think you need to take my sense of humour in context. I wasn't seriously suggesting we put this result up on an honours board somewhere. Honest, i wasn't. I think the cup wins against the premiership teams of Chelsea, Arsenal, Villa, Fulham (twice) and Derby would go on such a board ahead of you anyway. (btw, it was actually a Bolton fan's suggestion... just saying.)

Also, yes... we beat your "reserve team". but you made 6 changes to saturday's draw with Villa, we also made 3 so it's not as if you made 10 changes and we put out our first XI.

edit: wtf is it with "of"? -.-

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:39 am

I think Tango is being a bit precious

It'll be his age

Enjoy the rest of the season

When do you play Accy?
Sto ut Serviam

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:42 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:I think Tango is being a bit precious

It'll be his age

Enjoy the rest of the season

When do you play Accy?
Up yours junior. :twisted:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:54 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Sorry to burst the bubble, but that was a far cry from Northampton at home.
Of course, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a bad result.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:31 am

H. Pedersen wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Sorry to burst the bubble, but that was a far cry from Northampton at home.
Of course, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a bad result.
LK was responding to the view that had this been under GM we would be marching on the Reebok with pitchforks and burning torches...

I tend to agree.. not a good result but OC has enough good will to avoid a lynchin' could be worse, we could be Everton.... :mrgreen:
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:05 am

Ok, seeing as there seems to be little in terms of comment about the game I'll add my two penneth here.

Strange game, in that whilst you can't really complain about Burnley deserving to win, had we won equally I don't think there could have been any complaints. End to end stuff at times.

Having said that Bogdan had little really to do and yes they hit the post/bar twice from long range but other than that and the goal they didn't do much else save catch us out on the break once or twice near the end.

We played at times some nice football. Its going to be hard to go to Burnley and win without a ball winner in midfield but thats where we were at, and given that we counterattacked well and created things. Having said that, if you're going to play as we did, then you really have to take your chances as its hard to build concerted pressure when the centre of your midfield has all the bite of a pampered poodle. Its also hard when your striker is absolutely disinterested and shite.

A note to anyone Klasnic was abysmal. In every way possible. I'm worried a massive mistake has been made keeping this guy at the 'Bok (and a note for TD Elmander played with neiter Klasnic, who he replaced, or Moreno who Lee replaced at the same time but still). Davies and Elmander are safe up front I feel. And Klasnic storming off won't have helped his case either. Funny to have Bolton fans singing for Elmander with Klasnic on the pitch.

Alonso also looks well, puzzling. Can't defend, is hopeless on the ball and can't take a throw in. He's young, but he's going to have to improve massively. Put it this way, Robinson will not be ousted this season I can guarantee that.

Rodrigo, was more impressive. Clearly has pace and skill and wasn't overawed. Not great end product though. If he can improve on that he'll be very useful indeed. Otherwise he'll be the next Vaz Te. But as a loan he'll be ok, as he'll give us a different dimension from the bench at the very least. He played as a wide right forward and it worked well first half, though he faded in the second. Not sure he's ever going to be a premiership centre forward though, but lightweight for that, but out wide he's an option.

Mark Davies had a good game but as ever faded. Cohen should have scored and generally did what he does, run around without achieving much.

Knight and Ricketts played well as did Steinsson.

Bogdan can't kick won't throw. Jussi back please.

Taylor looks like he can barely run, the mind was willing but the flesh was weak. I do wonder if his illness last season has really knocked him backwards as he seemed to try but just didn't seem to have anything in the tank. Some good set pieces though as ever.

So there we have it, some good elements to our play, probably did as well as we could expect with that team. Had we taken a couple of our chances we'd have won. But we didn't and I suppose overall we can have no complaints.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:15 am

Ricketts was the worst player we had on the park. He kept putting Bogdan under pressure with his decision making. A worrying regression to the first half of last season for me.

Thought Alonso played fine until Taylor stopped putting any effort in down the left. From the decent bits, Cohen, Mavies and Steinsson were probably our best players until we ran out of ideas and started to hide. After that it was the Knight and Steinsson rescue show at the back.

By default that makes Steiner man of the match, but no-one played consistently enough to deserve that.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:19 am

Bogdan - nothing to do
Steinsson - abysmal, as usual
Alonso - can't take a throw-in, very poor
Knight - not bad
Ricketts - best centre half at the club, but was poor
Moreno - good start, faded
Davies - same
Cohen - shithouse
Taylor - lazy, feckless
Blake - started well, did nothing after an hour
Klasnic - woeful

Lee - should have been brought on 20mins earlier
Mandy - should have been brought on 20mins earlier

Oh and we've got some reet mongy fans.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:28 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Ricketts was the worst player we had on the park. He kept putting Bogdan under pressure with his decision making. A worrying regression to the first half of last season for me.

Thought Alonso played fine until Taylor stopped putting any effort in down the left. From the decent bits, Cohen, Mavies and Steinsson were probably our best players until we ran out of ideas and started to hide. After that it was the Knight and Steinsson rescue show at the back.

By default that makes Steiner man of the match, but no-one played consistently enough to deserve that.
We must have been watching a different game I guess.

Ricketts whilst not at his best I thought did pretty well alongside Knight given the midfield offered little in protection.

Alonso looked clueless from the start IMO. I hope he improves.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:36 am

He should have dragged Matty off after about ten minutes, pushed Alonso forward and brought Robinson on. Would have had far better balance on that side as he was trying to do everything the young spanish lad. Felt sorry for him, totally exposed, and Burnley picked up on it and started applying pressure down that side after about half hour.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:41 am

Lord Kangana wrote:He should have dragged Matty off after about ten minutes, pushed Alonso forward and brought Robinson on. Would have had far better balance on that side as he was trying to do everything the young spanish lad. Felt sorry for him, totally exposed, and Burnley picked up on it and started applying pressure down that side after about half hour.
I thought the same although Alonso looked so shaky on the ball I wasn't sure moving him into midfield was a great idea.

Taylor I watched him last night and he was trying, but its like there is nothing there in his legs. I don't think I've ever seen a player look like that, from the start. He was pumping to get back but was just nowhere near at times. I do wonder like I say what his illness last year has done and whether it has lasting effects. Glandular fever does has a habit of knocking you out a bit.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:47 am

A few people have mentioned that they thought Steinsson played well.. I thought he was extremely poor, both defensively and with his distribution. The amount of times he got murdered down his side or stood off and watched his man cross or shoot was incredible.

Definite weak link for us. Get Ricketts in that spot when Cahill returns
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:50 am

boltonboris wrote:A few people have mentioned that they thought Steinsson played well.. I thought he was extremely poor, both defensively and with his distribution. The amount of times he got murdered down his side or stood off and watched his man cross or shoot was incredible.

Definite weak link for us. Get Ricketts in that spot when Cahill returns
Personally I thought he did well, the danger mainly came down the other flank IMO.

I've been critical of Steinsson in the past but he was decent last night and lets face it, is a better right back than Ricketts (who looks best to me at Centre Half). His distribution is hit and miss but he was ok last night. And Rodrigo hardly tracked back at all to cover him.

If Alonso was a bit exposed by Taylor struggling to get back, Steinsson was left wide open. And still did a decent enough job IMO.

bwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bwfc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:00 am

This performance was dire.

Coyle should have played a stronger side, why go half and half?

Burnley knew how we were going to play, they had us well sussed even before a ball was kicked in the second half and we had no plan B. The possession stats will make interesting reading. We didn't even give them a game.

Eagles took the pi55 out of everyone in the back 4 we couldn't handle the orange piece of 5hit whilst a 40 year old bossed the midfield, they really gave us the run around.

All this crap about we want to get through in the cup competitions is pure bull5hit, Coyle daren't take the risk to lose at his old club with our full side as his ego wouldn't take it and as such put us out of the cup.

I thought we would try in the cups under Coyle with his pedigree, but now we have survival/FA cup to go for and its our season over. A cup run would have been a great confidence booster for players and fans alike.

The result shows to me Coyle is very naive, in my eyes he has a lot to do to win me over, he says the right things (Over and over) but things don't translate on the pitch.

I am pi55ed off that I bothered going, waste of a tuesday night. Not just saying it but this was poor very poor, not one player showed anything like their quality and the tactics were even worse if you could tell what we were trying to do in the second half then send answers in on the back of a fag packet because that where they must have been devised.

Add to this I was sat in an 80 year old stand with wooden seats, we should get a bloody refund.

Sort it out Coyle.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:10 am

bwfc wrote:This performance was dire.

Coyle should have played a stronger side, why go half and half?

Burnley knew how we were going to play, they had us well sussed even before a ball was kicked in the second half and we had no plan B. The possession stats will make interesting reading. We didn't even give them a game.

Eagles took the pi55 out of everyone in the back 4 we couldn't handle the orange piece of 5hit whilst a 40 year old bossed the midfield, they really gave us the run around.

All this crap about we want to get through in the cup competitions is pure bull5hit, Coyle daren't take the risk to lose at his old club with our full side as his ego wouldn't take it and as such put us out of the cup.

I thought we would try in the cups under Coyle with his pedigree, but now we have survival/FA cup to go for and its our season over. A cup run would have been a great confidence booster for players and fans alike.

The result shows to me Coyle is very naive, in my eyes he has a lot to do to win me over, he says the right things (Over and over) but things don't translate on the pitch.

I am pi55ed off that I bothered going, waste of a tuesday night. Not just saying it but this was poor very poor, not one player showed anything like their quality and the tactics were even worse if you could tell what we were trying to do in the second half then send answers in on the back of a fag packet because that where they must have been devised.

Add to this I was sat in an 80 year old stand with wooden seats, we should get a bloody refund.

Sort it out Coyle.
Jeesus. Get a grip. He wanted to do well in the cups but he has a squad and he needs to use it.

He picked a team good enough to go through.

That team created chances and missed them and lost to the only (controversial) goal of the game.

In terms of entertainment this game was pretty good with end to end stuff and chances and we did try and play football.