Bolton v Liverpool Match Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Don't be a Steiner hater, it's not like we've done terribly with this current 11 players.
Pfffft.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:32 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Don't be a Steiner hater, it's not like we've done terribly with this current 11 players.
I don't hate him, I just think he's a pretty terrible full-back.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:44 pm

East Lower wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:Don't be a Steiner hater, it's not like we've done terribly with this current 11 players.
Problem is that Ricketts has been pish at RB. We don't have another option.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:47 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
East Lower wrote:
Problem is that Ricketts has been pish at RB. We don't have another option.
We do - we give Ricketts another chance - we've given Steinsson plenty

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:52 pm

East Lower wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
East Lower wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Robinson is better than Steinsson IMO.
I'm better than Steinsson.
No. You're not.
Oh dear
Indeed

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:28 pm

East Lower wrote:
You're getting like Sir Nut now.

You can't have ever watched us when we were sh*t then.

We're Bolton, if you want 'world class' then f*ck off to OT with the rest of the sheep.
Troll and proud of it.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:13 pm

as wrote:
East Lower wrote:

We're Bolton, if you want 'world class' then f*ck off to OT with the rest of the sheep.
So because we were sh*t ages ago, we should put up with players, who aren't good enough for the level we play at now?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:40 pm

boltonboris wrote:
as wrote:
East Lower wrote:

So because we were sh*t ages ago, we should put up with players, who aren't good enough for the level we play at now?
He's not good enough for the PL?

Where'd you get that gem from then?

:lol:
Troll and proud of it.

t_o_molloy
Promising
Promising

Post by t_o_molloy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:58 am

as wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
as wrote:
East Lower wrote:

He's not good enough for the PL?

Where'd you get that gem from then?

:lol:
You're quote was pretty outrageous to be fair, you were making out we should put up with crap players or support United.
Steinsson is a pretty awful right-back, he always lets wingers inside him - but it's okay because he beats his chest, kisses his badge and throws his shirt into the crowd after the match. :crazy:

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:24 am

He's clearly not awful though, as will be proven when inevitably at some point Sam Ricketts gets back into the team. He won't be very good, Steinsson will be back in and the whole process will repeat.

All he really has to do is hold onto his place until Taylor replaces Petrov, any criticisms of Steinsson will then be totally drowned out by the whining over how Taylor is the worst player to ever lace boots.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:30 am

You're right, we shouldn't attempt to improve ever :roll:

Steinsson offers many things - he's decent on the ball, got a good cross on him (though he needs to be free to execute) and is decent in the air. What lets him down is some questionable positioning that easily gets exposed by good wingers and crosses come in the box from his wing far far too often.

Ricketts for me was just prone to concentration lapses. He's a better defender and pretty nifty going forward too (possibly even a better crosser).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:34 am

hisroyalgingerness wrote:

Steinsson offers many things - he's decent on the ball, got a good cross on him (though he needs to be free to execute) and is decent in the air. What lets him down is some questionable positioning that easily gets exposed by good wingers and crosses come in the box from his wing far far too often.

Ricketts for me was just prone to concentration lapses. He's a better defender and pretty nifty going forward too (possibly even a better crosser).
As a right back Ricketts was very shaky. All over the place at times.

I think Steinsson is the better right back out of the two. IMO at least.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:36 am

One of the many troubles with Steinsson is that since Chung has come into the team he has been unable to bomb down the wing - something that masked his defensive deficiencies, as he has to hang back because he knows that Chung will not be busting a gut to cover any forward runs that he makes.

That and him being out of position constantly, and showing wingers onto their stronger foot.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:45 am

Poppycock.

Sod off to OT and kiss Gary Neville's:arse:
Troll and proud of it.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:38 am

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/Thou_Shalt_Not-927

Preview time, with a religious angle.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:40 am

as wrote:
East Lower wrote:

:D
Last edited by TKIZ! on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pfffft.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:45 am

Where did I mention about not improving? All I said was don't be a Steinsson hater. Plus if you play with wingers invariably put pressure on your full backs unless you're an absolute world class team. Lee and Petrov aren't the most defensive minded players now
Pfffft.

Horza
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Horza » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:09 am

Definitely think he's gone backwards viz defence this year - it's been painful watching him back off the likes of Rodallega. However, is Ricketts the answer? Probably not. Meh.
"Any useless person; any liar; any drunkard; anyone under the influence; anyone high on drugs; can talk on the Internet, and you read what he writes and you believe it."
- Muammar Gaddafi, 16/1/2011

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:12 am

ratbert wrote:http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/Thou_Shalt_Not-927

Preview time, with a religious angle.
Nice one thebish.

I guess this doubles as your sermon too?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:09 pm

Tombwfc wrote:He's clearly not awful though, as will be proven when inevitably at some point Sam Ricketts gets back into the team. He won't be very good, Steinsson will be back in and the whole process will repeat.

All he really has to do is hold onto his place until Taylor replaces Petrov, any criticisms of Steinsson will then be totally drowned out by the whining over how Taylor is the worst player to ever lace boots.
Truer than true
Sto ut Serviam