Flogging the family silver........

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:15 pm

thebish wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote::?
Who the hell is going to pay us £17.5mil for Cahill?

a good question - and one I asked sirNut a good while ago when he announced that we would sell Cahill for £25million...

stranger things have happened, though - and I reckon we should not be that surprised, annoyed or distressed if we cash in on him now - my guess would be a lot closer to 8-10 million than 15 or 17.5
Considering we bought him as an unproven player for £5m and since then he's become one of the better players in the league and represented his country I'd be appalled if we let him go for only £8m.

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:19 pm

jimbo wrote:
thebish wrote:

a good question - and one I asked sirNut a good while ago when he announced that we would sell Cahill for £25million...

stranger things have happened, though - and I reckon we should not be that surprised, annoyed or distressed if we cash in on him now - my guess would be a lot closer to 8-10 million than 15 or 17.5
Considering we bought him as an unproven player for £5m and since then he's become one of the better players in the league and represented his country I'd be appalled if we let him go for only £8m.
Me too, he would be a steal at £8m!
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:20 pm

jimbo wrote:
thebish wrote:

Especially considering we've already paid more than £3 Million in wages to him..
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:22 pm

boltonboris wrote:
jimbo wrote:
thebish wrote:

Especially considering we've already paid more than £3 Million in wages to him..
Only we could sign a bright young thing, make him a world beater, sell him to a big club, and make a loss at the end of it!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:23 pm

boltonboris wrote:
jimbo wrote:
thebish wrote:

surely that's not how transfer fees are calculated? his wages were what we at the time considered reasonable for his performances over the time we have had him - we don't seek to recoup his wages cost surely???

I'm not desperate to sell at 8-10 mill - just gently suggesting that this is a more realistic figure than the £17.5 million figure. We might get lucky with a bidding war - but, if we don't - then I think we'll take the cash...

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:25 pm

thebish wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
jimbo wrote:
thebish wrote:

surely that's not how transfer fees are calculated? his wages were what we at the time considered reasonable for his performances over the time we have had him - we don't seek to recoup his wages cost surely???

I'm not desperate to sell at 8-10 mill - just gently suggesting that this is a more realistic figure than the £17.5 million figure. We might get lucky with a bidding war - but, if we don't - then I think we'll take the cash...
No they're not, but when selling surely you'd consider something like that in the money that you have invested in a player. Take the Elmander thing. We may 'only' get £3m for him, but we'd also save the 40k per week he's on until the end of the season which is another million.

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pm

The thing is, we're certainly not DESPERATE to sell. Regardless of the financial info that was released this week, we are in a position to hold out for the right bid. These aren't the days of Eidur, Per & Claus where a bid of £4m would instantly see us accept. I do believe it's going to take a bid of £14m + to see Cahill leave.
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:33 pm

thebish wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
jimbo wrote:
thebish wrote:

Not normally, but in this case I think it would be factored in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Villa have some sort of sell on clause on him.

So I'd suggest that 8M would leave us breaking even or even making a loss.

We won't sell for 8M.

Bish is right though in that he's probably not worth the 15-17M unless Citeh come sniffing round.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Villa have some sort of sell on clause on him.

We won't sell for 8M.

Bish is right though in that he's probably not worth the 15-17M unless Citeh come sniffing round.
He may or may not be worth that amount of money but it's written into the contract that we don't have to listen to any bid that's below the £17.5m. They've (Garty/Davies) that everyone knows that and doesn't forget it, why have the clause in there in the first place if we accept a £8m bid in January?

Not meaning t cause an argument, these are genuine questions
Pfffft.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:06 pm

thebish wrote:

Change the record!

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:20 pm

Another Bolton curse is the one that ensures ANY player that leaves the club is taking a step on the donward escalator. Anelka may think he's dodged it but it will get him in the end!

Eidur (you can argue this one but I'd still say 'Hmmmm'), McAteer, Stubbs, Caldwell, Thompson, Gavin, Sasa, Gunlaugsson, Per.

They've got the mogger!
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:23 pm

I've thought all along that we won't be rejected any fee significantly over £10mil for Cahill. The £17.5mil release clause is meaningless when we're actively touting him around.

It would be a shame to lose him, but keeping Elmander is more important. Lose Cahill for £10mil+ and buying a replacement should be fairly straightforward. Lose Elmander for £3mil and then what? Our entire system is based around him and Davies running themselves into the ground every week.

Overall though, there is something very depressing about the idea that as soon as we begin to put together a team that could see us emulate the Big Sam years, we can't afford to keep any of them.

-------

Seen as it was mentioned before, here are the players U25 Owen Coyle has bought since coming to England...

Martin Paterson - £1mil
Kevin McDonald - £500k
Diego Penny - Free
Chris Eagles - £1.25mil+
Steven Fletcher - £3mil
David Edgar - Free
Richard Eckersley - Free
Brian Easton - £350k
Andre Bikey - £3mil
Stuart Holden - Free
Marcos Alonso - £2.2mil

Total: £11.1mil (£7mil recouped from selling Fletcher). Decent enough I think.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:27 pm

coffeymagic wrote:Another Bolton curse is the one that ensures ANY player that leaves the club is taking a step on the donward escalator. Anelka may think he's dodged it but it will get him in the end!

Eidur (you can argue this one but I'd still say 'Hmmmm'), McAteer, Stubbs, Caldwell, Thompson, Gavin, Sasa, Gunlaugsson, Per.

They've got the mogger!
Yeah, playing for Chelsea (winning trophies) and Barcelona is a real shitter! Bet he wishes he'd have stopped on and forged a real partnership with Bob Taylor instead of Hasselbaink and Eto'o!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Tombwfc wrote:I've thought all along that we won't be rejected any fee significantly over £10mil for Cahill. The £17.5mil release clause is meaningless when we're actively touting him around.

It would be a shame to lose him, but keeping Elmander is more important. Lose Cahill for £10mil+ and buying a replacement should be fairly straightforward. Lose Elmander for £3mil and then what? Our entire system is based around him and Davies running themselves into the ground every week.

Overall though, there is something very depressing about the idea that as soon as we begin to put together a team that could see us emulate the Big Sam years, we can't afford to keep any of them.

-------

Seen as it was mentioned before, here are the players U25 Owen Coyle has bought since coming to England...

Martin Paterson - £1mil
Kevin McDonald - £500k
Diego Penny - Free
Chris Eagles - £1.25mil+
Steven Fletcher - £3mil
David Edgar - Free
Richard Eckersley - Free
Brian Easton - £350k
Andre Bikey - £3mil
Stuart Holden - Free
Marcos Alonso - £2.2mil

Total: £11.1mil (£7mil recouped from selling Fletcher). Decent enough I think.
Eckersley cost them about £300k after a tribunal

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:29 pm

East Lower wrote:
thebish wrote:

Change the record!
no - DJs choice - sod off back to the dance floor.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:30 pm

East Lower wrote:
coffeymagic wrote:Another Bolton curse is the one that ensures ANY player that leaves the club is taking a step on the donward escalator. Anelka may think he's dodged it but it will get him in the end!

They've got the mogger!
Yeah, playing for Chelsea (winning trophies) and Barcelona is a real shitter! Bet he wishes he'd have stopped on and forged a real partnership with Bob Taylor instead of Hasselbaink and Eto'o!
I said I'd say it and I will 'Hmmmmm.'
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:38 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Villa have some sort of sell on clause on him.

We won't sell for 8M.

He may or may not be worth that amount of money but it's written into the contract that we don't have to listen to any bid that's below the £17.5m. They've (Garty/Davies) that everyone knows that and doesn't forget it, why have the clause in there in the first place if we accept a £8m bid in January?

Not meaning t cause an argument, these are genuine questions
It would depend how desperate we are for cash. And if they feel his value is maximised in January (because that market is often the best to sell in to desperate chumps league teams) and of course his contract starts ticking down from then on so his value goes down and the best we could get for him was 10M then what would they do?

They'd sell, because waiting till the summer when he's about to go into the last year of his deal won't get us more money.

Difficult balancing act but I'd suggest thinking logically if we don't sell him in January for whatever he can attract on the market then we risk losing him for half of that later on.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:40 pm

coffeymagic wrote:
East Lower wrote:

They've got the mogger!
I said I'd say it and I will 'Hmmmmm.'
I join you in that "Hmmmm". Eidur moved to Chelsea, and yes, Chelsea won trophies while he was there, but I can't say that I remember him ever being a regular 1st teamer...same for Barca.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:41 pm

If the rumours are true he did rack up on big fecking slate with the bookies.

twitter @thetonycoffey