Davo not in England Squad this time

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:14 am

He was at the game today and watched the Spurs game.Could be that he knows enough of what Davies and Cahill have to offer and is using a friendly to look at a few others.I reckon Davies will be in the squad for the next proper game if his form is still good.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:22 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:No cahill either...

Smalling?

Why?

:conf:
Because Cahill can't keep a clean sheet I guess. I know its not always him that makes the mistake but he isn't keeping our defence under control and that's the only reason I can think of.

Not surprised about Davies, but why Boothroyd? and after watching Villa play United I can't see why Agbonlaha (or however you spell it) is in the squad other than for his speed.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:30 am

My word this has put a dampener on a great day.

I think we were prepared, or at least understanding of the fact that if Capello went for a younger outlook, that Davo might not make it in the team, but not Cahill too?? But to miss out to a 28 year old Championship striker is one of the biggest kicks in the knackers ever dished out, surely? And for Cahill to miss out to a player who is his clubs 3rd choice left back and 5th choice centre half, and another who has seen 22 mins of Premiership action.

What message does this send out to younger players?
What exactly is valued by the England manager that would get you into the team?
We're 5th in the league, how high do we need to get before our players are considered? 1st in the championship??

It's just completely baffling. There are at least 2 players in that squad that for the first time I have no logical, rational explanation why they are in there ahead of Bolton players. I'm disappointed, disgusted and will not be watching the game whenever the feck it is.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:31 am

DSB needs to defend himself here. :mrgreen:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

NorthernSoulBWFC
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NorthernSoulBWFC » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:34 am

The Smalling decision is a joke. The Kevin Davies one is at least sort of explanable, due to age, but the Smalling one is crazy. I think Chris Smalling has had one adequate game for Manchester United, in every other game I've seen him play he's scored an own goal or looked ridicuously nervous, not saying he won't be a good player but he's not as good as Gary Cahill. England are terrible anyway, I really couldn't care now if we get beaten, and I won't be watching.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:36 am

He's had 22 mins of Premiership football this season for Man Utd. That's how qualified Smalling is.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:11 am

No surprise really. Bolton fans screaming for his head for not picking Davies will seem very quiet relative to the rest of the country screaming for his head if he did pick Davies again.

ebby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ebby » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:11 am

is it a friendly this one? he'll just be saving kev and cahill for the games that mean something....

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:55 am

Caroll has been ruled out through injury. No sign of him calling up a replacement yet. Davies must be the favourite if he does
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:59 am

I dunno, Bradley Wright-Phillips is whacking em in in League 1 :roll:

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:21 pm

Carlton Cole in. I don't fecking believe it.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:28 pm

He doesn't need to look at Davies in this friendly and already knows exactly what kind of job he can do for the team.No Rooney so can't even look at a potential 1st choice pairing.This is an experimental squad looking at potential full squad members.

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:32 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:He doesn't need to look at Davies in this friendly and already knows exactly what kind of job he can do for the team.No Rooney so can't even look at a potential 1st choice pairing.This is an experimental squad looking at potential full squad members.
This sounds spot on. People like Carlton Cole and what's-his-name from the Championship are just being looked over. Someone like Crouch is probably in danger of losing his spot in any future squads.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:35 pm

SonsOfThunder wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:He doesn't need to look at Davies in this friendly and already knows exactly what kind of job he can do for the team.No Rooney so can't even look at a potential 1st choice pairing.This is an experimental squad looking at potential full squad members.
This sounds spot on. People like Carlton Cole and what's-his-name from the Championship are just being looked over. Someone like Crouch is probably in danger of losing his spot in any future squads.
Not having this. How does he know what Davies can do based on 20 minutes last time? Cole and Crouch have had far longer to prove themselves, so going off your logic surely they wouldn't be in?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:35 pm

SonsOfThunder wrote:
I could understand the "looking over possibles for the future" argument IF Crouch wasn't being called up... how on earth does that fit?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:37 pm

I'm more upset at the exclusion of Cahill to be honest, that I still cannot explain.

But I would disagree that Capello knows what he can get out of Davies. There's still a possibility yet that Davo will have a part to play in in the qualifiers, and international experience isn't to be sniffed at. A full 90 mins under his belt to impress and show what he can do against a World Class back four would be of interest.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:56 pm

Carlton one-goal Cole has been called up

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:58 pm

I can only suggest that Crouch has a certain wild card value that Davies doesn't have. I could be wrong,or just biased, but I have a feeling he will play Davies and Rooney up top in the next proper match.He's taking the opportunity to work with a few other players and get them into the set up.Realistically you've got to hope as England manager he already knows what all the players have to offer.It's intersting that he was at the wolves game as I asssume he'd already decided on his squad. Course there's the danger that Davies being part of a fluent passing team that plays through the midfield may not be able to adapt to the tactics of the national team. :)

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:35 pm

I will guarantee that IF Gary Cahill signs for one of the so called big clubs in January, he will make every single England squad until he is 34.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:08 pm

This honestly doesn't bother me. If anything, it'll spur Cahill and Davies on to play even better in the upcoming games.