Smackems v The Trotters

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Smackems v The Trotters

Post by jmjhb » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:25 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Have I missed the suspension situation, what we on?

I don't agree that this game will define anybody's season. It's a game that Sunderland are expected to win, and it won't kill us if we lose it.

Sunderland have a lot in their team that we struggle with - pace, movement, fullbacks not scared to get forward.

Only thing I'll say is that I think we can hurt them at their end of the pitch. Bramble and Anton vs Davo and Elmo.

Should be a good game.
Knight and Robbo are both on 4 suspensions so are fine for this game.

Bramble and Ferdinand are injured, it'll be John Mensah and Onuoha.

TheMackem
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TheMackem » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:26 pm

East Lower wrote:
TheMackem wrote:Good evening Bolton fans.

First of all let me just congratulate you on your fantastic performance's so far this season, Owen Coyle looks to be a fantastically talented manager and the football you're playing is a far cry from the kick and rush game favoured by Gary Megson and previously Sam Allardyce.

On to this Saturday's game, I am actually really looking forward to it, Sunderland sitting in seventh and Bolton in sixth means there is something else at stake and the match could be a defining one in both clubs season's with us both in the European shakeup heading into Christmas.

I don't think we will lose, our home form is exemplarary and after going unbeaten against Manchester United, Arsenal and Manchester City at the Stadium of Light this season I would certainly be very annoyed if we lost against Bolton, its coming up to just one defeat in a year now at home, with the SoL proving to be abit of a fortress for us under Steve Bruce.

Though I would love a win I wouldn't be too disappointed if both teams shared a point.

I hope to see you at the Stadium of Light this weekend and wish you luck for the rest of the season.
Are your stewards still a set of complete arsewipe bullied-at-school power-crazy wankers?
Aye unfortunately.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:29 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:IMHO there is nothing wrong with the long ball. We still use it, but we now also include a variety of other approaches including passing the ball on the ground in what our hockey announcers call tic tac toe fashion. Two recent long balls resulted in outstanding goals, when Kevin Davies flicked the ball to Petrov and Holden. I think the simple fact is we are no longer one dimensional in attack and concentrate less on defense than in times of yore.

Thing is, we're bloody effective at it, but we don't and shouldn't use it all the time as the defence can adapt to that. I think it's great we can pass it about and get it down either wing, we've got two decent fullbacks to overlap and have someone who can move with the ball in the middle of the pitch. And every now and again up it goes to Captain Kev and it invariably ends up in the path of a team mate.
Erm... I think that was what I meant, HRG. If we always punted it to Kev they would be waiting most of the time - now when we mix it up the defense has to cover other things, making the long ball an effective tool along with those other approaches.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:29 pm

I wasn't disagreeing with you

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:43 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:I wasn't disagreeing with you
Ah, sorry. When anyone responds to me starting: 'Thing is' it usually means I'm in trouble... :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:02 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:IMHO there is nothing wrong with the long ball. We still use it, but we now also include a variety of other approaches including passing the ball on the ground in what our hockey announcers call tic tac toe fashion. Two recent long balls resulted in outstanding goals, when Kevin Davies flicked the ball to Petrov and Holden. I think the simple fact is we are no longer one dimensional in attack and concentrate less on defense than in times of yore.

Thing is, we're bloody effective at it, but we don't and shouldn't use it all the time as the defence can adapt to that. I think it's great we can pass it about and get it down either wing, we've got two decent fullbacks to overlap and have someone who can move with the ball in the middle of the pitch. And every now and again up it goes to Captain Kev and it invariably ends up in the path of a team mate.
The return of plan B...... C....... and occasionally D.........
In my standard perverse way 18 months of Voldermeg almost makes the last three uner OC seem even better..
So much so I'm beginning to think it may almost have been worth it....
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:07 pm

jmjhb wrote:http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=549048

Their reaction to this thread.
Interesting that our 'banter' over the years has got a few of them wound up. I don't mind Sunderland at all, very similiar club to us in terms of where they have been over the last 10-20 years. Prefer them to the jawdees and their occasionally special following, Sunderland fans always seem relatively grounded.

Anyway onto more important things....the game....I think Knight is suspended? Robinson not suspended? Mark Davies out for two now?

So that will mean

-----------------------Jussi--------------------
Steinsson---Ricketts-----Cahill---Robbo-
Lee------Muamba----Holden----Petrov
-----------Elmo----------Davies------------

Not sure we have seen the Ricketts/Cahill centre half partnership before?
Ricketts got sent off here last year......we could do with avoiding our umpteenth sending off of the season here really, we'll suffer if we do. Good outfit at home this lot.

Some form of draw (probably scoring as we can't keep clean sheets!) and I'll be happy.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:08 am

Take a point. Their support...Geordie levels of delusion, not as funny. Which says more for them as a football club, but less as 'entertainment', which football shouldn't be about, but North East football should. As for this rivalry...nothing much. Some of their lot saying they were getting Allardyce, Jussi, Cahill, Taylor, bit of banter, but nothing serious surely? Couldn't believe a couple of their comments!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:12 am

The mention of Warthog is quite funny.

Wasn't he banned from here for insulting, or had he just had enough?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:17 am

I thought it had been explained as a disagreement behind the scenes.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:57 am

jmjhb wrote:Bramble and Ferdinand are injured, it'll be John Mensah and Onuoha.
Shite .... BOTH of them ??

That's a blow to our chances then.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:51 am

Lord Kangana wrote:The mention of Warthog is quite funny.

Wasn't he banned from here for insulting, or had he just had enough?
He just had enough and moved on. Not banned.

He did write a couple of "thought provoking" articles that they took offence at.. :D

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:04 am

Have two Sunderland-supporting friends who are not at all delusional, but are genuinely puzzled and frustrated and stoical about the enduring enigma that is Sunderland (and, indeed, their much-loved Geordie neighbours). Indeed, by now they are in the third or fourth generation of puzzle as the seasons turn, one after the other, chill of wind, empty of silverware. This club could attract close to 50,000 supporters when moderately successful (indeed I was in what might have been their last 50,000 crowd at Roker in - I think - 1977, when they beat us 2-1, with Sam scoring and Peter Reid the best player on the pitch). They should be a massive club. but aren't. Neither are Newcastle. Massive clubs win things. Those that are merely well-supported are massive only in their catastrophic under-achievement.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:08 am

:pissed: I don't mind Sunderland at all,

Many years ago a few of us were walking behind what used to be Bolton Tech, on the way to BW V Sunderland, intending on calling into the 'King Bill' for a few before the match, when a white tranny (van that is); pulled up in front of us. The back doors flew open and a load of mackems spilled out. Thinking 'Oh F*ck! Here we go' I turned to see a lot of my so called mates hot-footing it down the road. Chief mackem shouted something at the three of us who were left. When asked if he spoke english, he tried his best, and we worked out they were looking for a pub. In those days, away fans weren't welcome in pubs around the ground at all, not many landlords allowed 'em in. We went in the back of the van, showed them somewhere (safe ish) to park and headed into the back of the King Bill. As we were regulars on matchdays, the landlord, who's name I forget, let them stay. We did not pay for a drink all afternoon and had one of the best times I've ever had at the footy. So for that alone, I've always had a soft spot for 'em. We'll still win 1-2 on sat though.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:02 am

Hi all. Match preview and report volunteers reqd.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Well a relief that we aren't as screwed defensively as originally thought. I think we can get something out of this game. So far this season we have only lost to Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool. Sunderland are not in the class of those teams, well neither is liverpool for that matter, so don't believe we will lose the game. Likely result a draw, but still have a chance for a win. 2-3 Bolton will Petrov scoring the winner around the 85min mark.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:16 pm

ratbert wrote:Hi all. Match preview and report volunteers reqd.

Report?

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:29 pm

ratbert wrote:Hi all. Match preview and report volunteers reqd.

Report?
You're on.

RokerReport
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by RokerReport » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:30 pm

Howdy Trotters.

I operate a Sunderland Blog, and we're building up the weekends big game. Today I've had an interview with Marc Iles, Chief Football Editor of The Bolton News, which you can see here - http://rokerreport.wordpress.com/2010/1 ... marc-iles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And coming in the next two days my own preview of the game, and Fan Focus where I speak to one of your lot before and after the game, for predictions and reactions.

If you're interested have a look.

All the best for the rest of the season, as well as a Merry Xmas & Happy New Year.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:54 pm

Roker ?
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham