A bridge too far?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

pilates56
Hopeful
Hopeful

A bridge too far?

Post by pilates56 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:36 pm

I am spending the Christmas period with my daughter who lives in West Kensington which is a 30 minute walk from Stamford Bridge. I have got myself a ticket to see the game on 29th Jan.

It would be good to spend a bit of time before the game with some Wanderers fans to enjoy a pint and be around and engage in some 'Lanky' talk. Any venues and times where I might indulge in this?

I have seen the Wanderers in most of the London and south-east grounds over the years but never at Stamford Bridge. My only visit there was for an FA cup 3rd round tie in either 1964 or 65. I was a regular member of the De Havilland, Hatfield side then playing in the first division of the Herts County League along with a good number of ex Lostock apprentices who had moved to Hatfield. (any of you out there?). Our game that day had been cancelled because of frost and snow, but Chelsea played Peterborough, and won 5-1. I can't remember any other details apart from we stood at the end opposite the shed, and I think there was a greyhound track around the pitch, and we seemed a long way from the action.

Lets hope that the score is not quite as dramatic as that. I have only seen the Wanderers once in the flesh this season, and that was the 4-1 defeat on my inaugural visit to the Emirates which I really enjoyed apart from the ref. and the result.

Solito34
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: A bridge too far?

Post by Solito34 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:50 pm

Just to correct your facts

Chelsea beat Peterborough 5-1 in the FA Cup 6th round on 6 March 1965.
Bolton played at Charlton the same day and won 3-1.

pilates56
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by pilates56 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:59 pm

Solito34 wrote:Just to correct your facts

Thanks for that. I can usually remember accurately what happened 45 years ago but not 45 minutes ago.

Solito34
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Solito34 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:05 pm

No problem.The only time I stood on that end opposite the Shed was on New Year's Day 1992 when accepting a lift down to London with a Man City fan seemed more attractive than Bolton v Darlington.

pilates56
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by pilates56 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:10 pm

pilates56 wrote:
Solito34 wrote:Just to correct your facts

Thanks for that. I can usually remember accurately what happened 45 years ago but not 45 minutes ago.
I do remember watching a Charlton v Bolton cup tie on my only visit to the Valley in the early 70,s. I think Jimmy Armfield was manager at the time. They played delightful, passing football and were unlucky only to draw 2-2. I remember they won the replay emphatically at Burnden, but being then resident in Herts (and now in Suffolk) I did not see the replay. Of course no TV highlights package then so I only had the newspapers to enlighten me. My dad used to send me the 'Buff' and Lancashire Evening Post's Saturday Sports paper for Wigan Rugby and the Latics who you could support out of sympathy, playing their games in The Lancashire Combination.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:58 am

Pub?

Anywhere between the Eight Bells at Putney and the ground
Sto ut Serviam

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:25 pm

Three Kings right next to West Ken tube station. Lovely pub
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:26 pm

Verbal wrote:Three Kings right next to West Ken tube station. Lovely pub
and very seasonal too! 8) (thought you might want to wait until epiphany)