Wiggin

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Wiggin

Post by Salford Trotter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:49 pm

seanworth wrote:
FaninOz wrote:On performances we should beat Wigan easily, but we wont as our bubble has burst at present and we haven't played any good passing football for a few games now. Also, we rarely beat them at Bolton and remember it's a "cup final" for them so a draw is the most likely result.

Also, especially as our small squad will still be knackered, Holden still unavailable and we can't keep a clean sheet often enough so likely score is 2-2, but I dream of a 4-0 win to us.
Is that confirmed?
not as far the physioroom is concerned
http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_ ... _table.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Voice Of Reason

Eire_Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Eire_Trotter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:58 pm

That Joey O brien fella is taking the piss at this stage. Next time I bump into the bollox I'll have to tell him to get his finger out :twisted:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:10 pm

I like the sound...
From Bobby Laticus Martinez on 606: "That Wigan display was simply not good enough, no passion, no energy and no ability to pass a simple ball. nothing short of embarrassing and we will be relegated from the premier league. I just hope Bobby leaves because he is a poor manager."

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:12 pm

BwfcDan wrote:3-0 Bolton... 21,465... 800 Wigan fans...
If you are correct on all three counts here I will ; -
a). buy you beer
b). employ the space between thee lions at the Town Hall, sans coulottes
c). inform the betting authorities

I mean .... 3-0 !!!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:46 pm

FaninOz wrote:On performances we should beat Wigan easily, but we wont as our bubble has burst at present and we haven't played any good passing football for a few games now. Also, we rarely beat them at Bolton and remember it's a "cup final" for them so a draw is the most likely result.
It's after remarks like this that FiO should highlight the disclaimer in his siganature. :wink:

I was at Wigan away and they were an absolute bloody handful with their pace up front. Knight was left chasing shadows and Cahill had picked up a booking after about five minutes. They stretched us and both Petrov and Lee were a waste of time on the wings. If Rodallega wasn't a mumper in front of goal (see also recently, DJ Campbell and Peter Odemwingie ) they'd have stuffed us. As Owen Coyle says, "There's a coat of paint between a dozen or so clubs in this league and we need to come out on the right side of the margins".

With respect, we won't "be beating anyone easily".
May the bridges I burn light your way

Choppers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Choppers » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Watching them today against Newcastle, I'd be quite disappointed if we don't beat them convincingly.

They were utterly awful up front, not troubling Newcastle whatsoever. All the pressure they exerted and they barely trouble the back four, let alone the keeper.

That said, you know damn well that they will raise themselves for our match.
http://www.godisageek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | A Videogame Site With A Difference
http://www.twitter.com/jebusf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Twitter

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:36 pm

It's their cup final, they'll improve for it.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:03 pm

Feels like a crucial game now in terms of getting back on track or slipping down to a midtable position.I hope there is some backing for Coyle in the window as we are looking threadbare and the regulars are looking tired. If he's not backed to some degree we can have no real arguement should Coyle waltz off to a bigger(non top 6 ) club in the summer with a budget that stretches beyond 4 cans of skol

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:10 am

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Feels like a crucial game now in terms of getting back on track or slipping down to a midtable position.I hope there is some backing for Coyle in the window as we are looking threadbare and the regulars are looking tired. If he's not backed to some degree we can have no real arguement should Coyle waltz off to a bigger(non top 6 ) club in the summer with a budget that stretches beyond 4 cans of skol
Not sure I'm holding me breath on that score.

Think we'll probably try and grab a couple of loanees, I'd be stunned if we signed any permenant transferees >£1m or so, unless someone is transferred out for good money.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:05 am

Neither am I,unless someone goes then he might get half the income as spends. It's a shame though as you can see a bit of extra dosh could push the team on and take the weight off the core 11. If the team performs to a similar standard in the 2nd half of the season there will be plenty sniffing around Coyle in the summer and Coyle inspite of his affinity with Bolton would most likely take the next step on his career ladder.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Neither am I,unless someone goes then he might get half the income as spends. It's a shame though as you can see a bit of extra dosh could push the team on and take the weight off the core 11. If the team performs to a similar standard in the 2nd half of the season there will be plenty sniffing around Coyle in the summer and Coyle inspite of his affinity with Bolton would most likely take the next step on his career ladder.
I'm not sure it's in our "targets for the season", to push on - we probably wouldn't end up in a CL spot and t'other comp, we wouldn't have broke even cash-wise until the semi's, so whilst I'm sure the Club wouldn't turn a Europa League place down, I'm not convinced they'd want to spend good money to chase such a prize either.

I reckon safe as soon as possible + top half (increased Rev from league position) would be where the Club want us to be. Maybe a dart at the FA Cup as a bonus.

As to OC, he made no secret that he's ambitious, so I'm sure he'll be off when an opportunity that's Prem and with some money to spend comes knocking. Let's face it, Sam was an exception to the rule in the length of time he stayed with us (outside of Wenger and Red Nose). I'm not holding my breath that Coyle will still be here in 7 years time.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Probably true but it won't feel good slipping back down to mid table after the quality of the first half season.Coyle is talking about adding a couple of players.Maybe we should keep an eye on who Holloway is watching and do a celtic on them. :D

NorthernSoulBWFC
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NorthernSoulBWFC » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:35 pm

3 - 1 to us. Wigan are absolutely there for the taking. A win is most important obviously, but a good performance would be lovely too, 3 points in coming to us though for sure!
Keep The Faith

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:14 am

Choppers wrote:Watching them today against Newcastle, I'd be quite disappointed if we don't beat them convincingly.

They were utterly awful up front, not troubling Newcastle whatsoever. All the pressure they exerted and they barely trouble the back four, let alone the keeper.

Which is effectively what I said as well but got criticised for it!
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:47 am

FaninOz wrote:
Choppers wrote:Watching them today against Newcastle, I'd be quite disappointed if we don't beat them convincingly.

Which is effectively what I said as well but got criticised for it!
you weren't criticised - you were disagreed with!!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:51 am

Holden out for this.

And I don't think we've won a league game without him this season.

And quite frankly I can't see it changing much here sadly. Mark Davies and Muamba are simply not good enough together in a 4-4-2.

1-1 at best, though I can see Wigan sneaking it. We're in our slump I tells you.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Holden out for this.

And quite frankly I can't see it changing much here sadly. Mark Davies and Muamba are simply not good enough together in a 4-4-2.

1-1 at best, though I can see Wigan sneaking it. We're in our slump I tells you.
I agree that Mark Davies and Muamba aren't good enough together. Davies doesn't do half the tackling of Holden.

The "not won a league game without Holden" bit. Might well be correct, but he's only missed three and two of them have been Chelsea (Away) and Liverpool (Away) - the other being Blackpool at home (who we've never beaten in the Prem ;-) )

I still have us down to win this one.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:48 am

Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Holden out for this.

I agree that Mark Davies and Muamba aren't good enough together. Davies doesn't do half the tackling of Holden.

The "not won a league game without Holden" bit. Might well be correct, but he's only missed three and two of them have been Chelsea (Away) and Liverpool (Away) - the other being Blackpool at home (who we've never beaten in the Prem ;-) )

Did he not miss City away too?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:02 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote: ... he's only missed three and two of them have been Chelsea (Away) and Liverpool (Away) - the other being Blackpool at home (who we've never beaten in the Prem ;-) )

Did he not miss City away too?
He picks his matches to miss very well, methinks.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Did he not miss City away too?
Not too - my bad - he didn't miss Chelsea (Away) - knew it began with a "C"...

I think you're right in that we looked really shite against Blackpool - first half, Liverpool second half and City for most of it. I think he makes a huge difference. Davies is a different type of player altogether to both Holden or Muamba. The only one Muamba hasn't started, was Blackburn so it's a bit difficult to tell if Holden and Davies could work together. I'd be as worried with that pairing as I am with Davies and Muamba.