Bolton vs York City

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bolton vs York City

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:40 pm

The 5-2 was Todd in our record breaking season.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:york city beat us 2-0 in t'FA Cup in t'3rd round in 1971.

we beat York City 2-0 in t'FA Cup in t'3rd round in 1951.

we have had 3 FA cup encounters - a 2-0 win each (as above) and a win for us after a replay (again, in the 3rd round - in 1958)

in t'other cup - more recently (1991) - an aggregate 4-3 win to us.

to complete the statitical jigsaw...

in ALL 20 games we have ever played - 10 wins to Bolton - 5 wins to York - 5 Draws... an aggregate score of 30-19 to Bolton!
I was actually thinking more of our League Cup exit against Northampton... :-)
I know - I wanted to divert attention from the memory of that particular ghost.... (I was in a tent in France listening for the results on a very crackly little radio tuned to R4 - LW was the only frequency working... very, very depressing...)

Sue Hargreaves
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Sue Hargreaves » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Danny_York_City wrote:
Sue Hargreaves wrote:I am hoping for a lot of goals against the non-league part-timers and my son is really looking forward to only his second match. It will be interesting to see some of the other squad players and although not a full team would still like to think 4 or 5 nil at least?
(Just correcting, before the usual outrage hits this thread ;))

We're a full time professional club, always have been, and were league for 95 percent of our history until two successive dodgy chairman destroyed the club and resulted in us going down and slipping into the BSP.

What was your son's first match out of interest? Should be a good atmosphere, so I'm sure he'll enjoy it.
Sorry about that Danny - I was obviously assuming non-league= part-time, showing my ignorance!

My son has only just reached seven and his first game was on Wednesday, taking advantage of the cheap tickets! :)

I am sure it will be a great game and atmosphere if York are bringing over 4,000 supporters! All the best for 2011 (after Saturday!).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:55 pm

For whatever reason I'm more excited about this than I've been since we played Burnley.

Perhaps its cos we're playing someone different who are bringing a big following and its the start of a cup run we can try and do well in because (touch wood) we don't have to worry about being sucked into an ugly relegation battle at present.

Mind I know that by 3.30 on Saturday I'll be cold, bored staring at a half full ground wondering why Petrov just blased a 40 yard effort over the bar!

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:For whatever reason I'm more excited about this than I've been since we played Burnley.

Perhaps its cos we're playing someone different who are bringing a big following and its the start of a cup run we can try and do well in because (touch wood) we don't have to worry about being sucked into an ugly relegation battle at present.

Mind I know that by 3.30 on Saturday I'll be cold, bored staring at a half full ground wondering why Petrov just blased a 40 yard effort over the bar!
Yes, you will be - but shouldn't we be used to that by now?
I despair for those who can get bored at a football match featuring their team - besides, hopefully we should be a couple of goals to the good by then.
Yes, but that's the nature of cup matches - they never command a full attendance. You could always look at the South Stand and their flares, for a bit of a giggle?
Probably, but with any luck, what we'll actually be wondering is why that didn't go in like the other 5...

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:17 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:For whatever reason I'm more excited about this than I've been since we played Burnley.

I despair for those who can get bored at a football match featuring their team - besides, hopefully we should be a couple of goals to the good by then.
Yes, but that's the nature of cup matches - they never command a full attendance. You could always look at the South Stand and their flares, for a bit of a giggle?
Probably, but with any luck, what we'll actually be wondering is why that didn't go in like the other 5...
Some wishfull but very colourful thinking there :)
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Half full? That's optimistic.

There'll be 5000 of their cock-wavers poncing about with banners and such, plus about 1,500 of us sat there wishing we'd stopped at home and watched that paint dry.

6-0 to us.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:35 pm

truewhite15 wrote:

Perhaps the "bored" bit wasn't explained well. Bored as in watching a turgid game of York defend and us attack badly!

rockthereebok
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by rockthereebok » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:08 pm

One thing we have to worry about - York City are magic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mba1sse8BP0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:26 pm

Bit late for a preview but anyone going, a match report would be welcomed.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:31 pm

I expect Coyle would be putting out his reserves for this but I just remembered we only have 4 reserves.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:41 pm

I'm going for 4-1

RobbieSavagesLeg
Promising
Promising

Post by RobbieSavagesLeg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:51 pm

I'm not sure if I've got a good feeling about this or not.

Of course I do :-

I've got a good feeling about this™.

Still going for a Coyle goal.
Clean sheet too please.
I'd rather support Bolton than be you.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:55 pm

RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'm not sure if I've got a good feeling about this or not.

Of course I do :-

I've got a good feeling about this™.

Still going for a Coyle goal.
Clean sheet too please.
It was all looking pretty sound work until I got to the bit in bold...

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:19 pm

A few gems off-of the BBC website
• Defeat would see the Trotters exiting at the third round stage for the third time in four years.

• The four times winners, who last lifted the trophy in 1958, have not been knocked out by a non-league club in 90 years.

• Chesterfield were in the Midland League when they won the first round tie 2-0 at Bolton's Burnden Park in January 1911.
But what's the relevance of the Chesterfield one? :conf:
Businesswoman of the year.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:21 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:A few gems off-of the BBC website
• Defeat would see the Trotters exiting at the third round stage for the third time in four years.

• The four times winners, who last lifted the trophy in 1958, have not been knocked out by a non-league club in 90 years.

• Chesterfield were in the Midland League when they won the first round tie 2-0 at Bolton's Burnden Park in January 1911.
But what's the relevance of the Chesterfield one? :conf:
Last time we were knocked out by a non-league Club with some bad maths involved?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:03 pm

ratbert wrote:Bit late for a preview but anyone going, a match report would be welcomed.
I'll do yer a report

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:We beat them 6-1 because we got twatted 5-2 at Southend the week before, and the players wanted to go one better. I remember that much.
Those two matches were my Tripe N Trotters headline-writing nadir. "Bell-End Of The Pier Show" was followed by "Sixual Healing".
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:04 pm

Wasn't it White Love by then?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:15 pm

C-. Must do better.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you