That Manager Of The Month Fallacy - Is It True?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

That Manager Of The Month Fallacy - Is It True?

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:17 am

Lack of sleep and without anything better to do, I got thinking about how the slump we're in has coincided with Beano winning Manager of The Month. I know there's been a lot said about the MotM curse being a fallacy, but I decided to look at the numbers:

Before November - Coyle's PPG was 1.2
During November - Coyle's PPG was 2.2
Since November - Coyle's PPG is 1 (had Ronald Zubar not delivered that great cross for Welbeck, it'd have been 0.8 )

So, November was more than extraordinary, but since then it suggests that there has been a major dip in form from the day he won the redundant (for Coyle) bottle of champers.

yes, we can take into consideration that we played Chelsea and Man city, and we gift wrapped our annual six points to MediawankfestPool in this time, but is it a coincidence? Or is it a case of ignoring the ramblings of Old Pinky Liberal?

Edit: fecking smileys. I want to write an 8 and close the fecking brackets. Not make it look like a fecking child's text message
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: That Manager Of The Month Fallacy - Is It True?

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:06 am

you win manager of the month if you have an extraordinarily good month - ie - wayyyyy better than average. hence - usually - the following month you won't do as well - you will be back to merely ordinary - unless you have two extraordinary months in a row.. but the more that happens - it would cease to be extraordinary, wouldn't it?

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:12 am

But would .8ppg over the past two months have been reverting to ordinary? Would 1? It's not like we reverted back to that 1.2ppg at the start of the season.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:28 am

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:But would .8ppg over the past two months have been reverting to ordinary? Would 1? It's not like we reverted back to that 1.2ppg at the start of the season.
1 was Coyles average for the previous season...

anyway - I dunno - all I know is that in the vast majority of cases you will drop in form after a MoM month - simply because you are rewarded for extraordinary success - hence - the "curse"

whether it is the norm to drop down to below your average performance - I don't know (though my guess would be not) - and to prove it, you'd have to show a lot more data than the 3 months you have! Then you'd have to find a way of factoring in the relative ease of point-winning of the actual fixtures on offer in those particular months - plus, maybe other factors (injuries... Asia Cup call-ups) - all of which would confuse the picture and make a causal conclusion very difficult to draw..

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:33 am

I hate Manager of the Month.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:25 am

It's not a curse, its just statistics. Deviation from the mean and all that.

If you perform above expectations one month, or infact better than any other team in the league, any subsequent month would be seen as a disappointment or 'curse' unless you were to win it again.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:27 am

Beefheart wrote:It's not a curse, its just statistics. Deviation from the mean and all that.

If you perform above expectations one month, or infact better than any other team in the league, any subsequent month would be seen as a disappointment or 'curse' unless you were to win it again.
I think KB understands that.

he is asking whether after MOM award you don't simply deviate to the mean - but you usually drop well below the mean the following month.

to prove such a causal link would be very tricky.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:29 am

I think a tricky (in terms of games) and congested fixture list had more to do with it.

To be honest if we manage 1ppg between now and the end of the season that will be ok.

Currently I can't see us doing much better!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:03 am

in february 2011 - we are averaging 3ppg - which is cracking form!

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:43 am

thebish wrote:in february 2011 - we are averaging 3ppg - which is cracking form!
Bet it still won't please everyone though. :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:50 am

seanworth wrote:
thebish wrote:in february 2011 - we are averaging 3ppg - which is cracking form!
Bet it still won't please everyone though. :wink:
8)

in february we are undefeated - have a 100% win rate - have won all our games at home and all our games away - have 100% clean sheet record and and average of 3ppg..

Coyle OUT!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:44 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:05 pm

thebish wrote:
Beefheart wrote:It's not a curse, its just statistics. Deviation from the mean and all that.

he is asking whether after MOM award you don't simply deviate to the mean - but you usually drop well below the mean the following month.

No, I'm not. I'm well aware of the facts. The question is being asked in this particular case of Coyle dropping below even the "ordiinary" before November. I've identified that November was way above ordinary. I just wanted to see how the stats backed up how much of a downturn from the ordinary the aftermath of the MotM month was. Turns out, on the basis of the ordinary before the MotM, it's 20%.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:13 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
thebish wrote:

No, I'm not. I'm well aware of the facts. The question is being asked in this particular case of Coyle dropping below even the "ordiinary" before November. I've identified that November was way above ordinary. I just wanted to see how the stats backed up how much of a downturn from the ordinary the aftermath of the MotM month was. Turns out, on the basis of the ordinary before the MotM, it's 20%.
hmmm - but you haven't shown it was caused by the MoM award!

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:21 pm

Hard to show it was without saying "here's what we acheived before the award, here's what we acheived in the time the award was deserved, and here's what we acheived afterwards". Which I have.

Coincidence, then. Just asking the question, rather than presenting a thesis on it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:35 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Hard to show it was without saying "here's what we acheived before the award, here's what we acheived in the time the award was deserved, and here's what we acheived afterwards". Which I have.

Coincidence, then. Just asking the question, rather than presenting a thesis on it.
Three out of our last ten years in the Prem, our manager has been awarded the MotM in November. I don't think that's a spooky coincidence.

Our runs for the two months following it have netted:

14 points in 2003/4 - from 9 games. We also had 6 League and FA cup games over the same period. We beat Liverpool away in the league cup, beat Chelsea away and drew with Arsenal at home during this time.

7 points in 2008/9 - from 9 games. With only a single cup game in the same period.

7 points in 2010/11 - from 9 games. With only a single cup game in the same period.

So I think it's probably a bit of a fallacy.