FA Cup Semi Final - Wembley

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: FA Cup Semi Final - Wembley

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:37 pm

Steinsson can handle himself in the air (when he's awake, unlike yesterday).

We need to keep disciplined in the wall at free kicks, and make sure the ref is alert to all the hanky panky that stoke try, like wrestling players out of the way to create a gap...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:55 pm

Steinsson's a decent header of the ball.

His weakness is his positioning at the far post on crosses.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:21 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Steinsson's a decent header of the ball. His weakness is his positioning at the far post on crosses.
Not just him. A few times lately I've been screaming at the screen "back post" when everybody gets dragged into the middle. Only needs a flick instead of a direct header on goal and the back door's wide open. Almost happened again with Bowyer on Saturday.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:23 pm

HMX wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:Equally I'd rather not have Knight vs Etherington. The count down to me buying tickets is on, please let me get them tomorrow!
:grin: You'll get them tomorrow! Where you gonna try and sit?
Got them in Block 531 chief.
Pfffft.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:53 am

danny higginbotham is out for them .. out for 6 months like Stu .. Stoke fans saying it makes us slight favourites .. id rather be without a left back than without a midfielder who makes the team tick.

This quote seems to sum there reaction up.
Bloody feck.

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/ind ... ead=156407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by ChrisC on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:54 am

He's a decent full back. Should mean Chung gets the nod to attack whoever is their second-pick left back. Use Davo as a decoy to keep Hoooooooooth and Shawcross busy whilst Petrov and Mark D work their magic in the midfield.

Piece of piss 8)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:29 am

ChrisC wrote:danny higginbotham is out for them .. out for 6 months like Stu .. Stoke fans saying it makes us slight favourites .. id rather be without a left back than without a midfielder who makes the team tick.

Bloody feck.

I heard him get injured during the game - and thought to myself - hmmmm.. be nice if he can't make the semi - but then they said he came back on again and was running it off, so I thought no more about it...

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:46 am

thebish wrote:
ChrisC wrote:danny higginbotham is out for them .. out for 6 months like Stu .. Stoke fans saying it makes us slight favourites .. id rather be without a left back than without a midfielder who makes the team tick.

Bloody feck.

I heard him get injured during the game - and thought to myself - hmmmm.. be nice if he can't make the semi - but then they said he came back on again and was running it off, so I thought no more about it...

Ruptured knee ligaments according to sky..

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 57,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Danny Higginbotham will miss Stoke City's FA Cup semi-final against Bolton Wanderers after being ruled out for six months with a knee injury.

The defender suffered the injury towards the end of Saturday's 1-1 draw with Chelsea and scans have shown a ruptured ligament.

Higginbotham is expected to be sidelined into next season and the injury has dashed the 32-year-old's hopes of making an appearance at Wembley.

Stoke face Bolton in the last four of the cup later this month and manager Tony Pulis admits he is 'devastated' for Higginbotham.

Big blow

"It's a rupture and I'm devastated for the kid," Pulis told The Sentinel.

"It's a big blow for the team because Danny had just come back into the side and was doing so well.

"He's been such a great servant to the club and is so popular with the fans, and with good reason.

"With the back end to the season we've got coming up, it's a really depressing thing to happen.

"Hopefully, he will be back training by the back end of pre-season in the summer, but it's hard to be precise right now.

"But we look after our own at this football club, so once he gets over the shock of the injury, Danny knows he will be getting the best possible care and treatment."

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:48 am

"We look after our own" - glad to hear that, because my initial thought was that they'd just bin him off and let him recover on his own without any treatment or help from the club :roll:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:00 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:"We look after our own" - glad to hear that, because my initial thought was that they'd just bin him off and let him recover on his own without any treatment or help from the club :roll:
Suprisingly enough... That does actually happen
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:31 pm

definitely some kind of "small club" complex about pulis.

can't say i have much time for him.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:33 pm

I like his little hat 8)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Happy with that! Karma kicking in I think. Stoke's free kick taker out? Do for me...don't think he is as important for them as Holden for us but it goes some way to evening it out a bit!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:09 pm

I know Holden is a massive loss, but I think it's our wingers who are the key for us. The thing with Stoke is, you don't have to be that good to be better than them in central midfield, which is by far their worst area. Delap is a walking throwing machine, and Whitehead and Whelan are different degrees of average. They'll work hard, but they won't trouble us much from there. For me it is important we get at their fullbacks, Wilson who has looked solid, but isn't a right back, and (presumably) Collins who is UTTER shite. Chungy has to play wide right for me, coz he'll rip him to bits. Ashley Young proved a tiny bit of clever movement is all it takes to baffle Collins, and Chungy has got footballing intelligence running through him. Get him at Petrov at the fullbacks, coz the only way we'll create chances is by getting Shawcross and Huth out of the middle. As good as Davo is, they'll be comfortable with stuff chucked up long and straight at them. MD key for me in getting the wide boys the ammo.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:46 pm

Two teams (other than the "Big 4") who Davies has no impact against.....Fulham n Stoke (Hangelaand and any of the stoke giants). They cope with aerial stuff, but he'll be a good decoy.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Prufrock wrote:I know Holden is a massive loss, but I think it's our wingers who are the key for us. The thing with Stoke is, you don't have to be that good to be better than them in central midfield, which is by far their worst area. Delap is a walking throwing machine, and Whitehead and Whelan are different degrees of average. They'll work hard, but they won't trouble us much from there. For me it is important we get at their fullbacks, Wilson who has looked solid, but isn't a right back, and (presumably) Collins who is UTTER shite. Chungy has to play wide right for me, coz he'll rip him to bits. Ashley Young proved a tiny bit of clever movement is all it takes to baffle Collins, and Chungy has got footballing intelligence running through him. Get him at Petrov at the fullbacks, coz the only way we'll create chances is by getting Shawcross and Huth out of the middle. As good as Davo is, they'll be comfortable with stuff chucked up long and straight at them. MD key for me in getting the wide boys the ammo.
Playing Lee and Petrov is great if you think we'll shade an 11 goal thriller
Sto ut Serviam

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:14 am

Davies got player of the round in the quarter finals.

Well done him
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:18 am

CAPSLOCK wrote: Playing Lee and Petrov is great if you think we'll shade an 11 goal thriller
Based on what? We've done it plenty of times.. Never been in an 11 goal thriller
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:22 pm

boltonboris wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote: Playing Lee and Petrov is great if you think we'll shade an 11 goal thriller
Based on what? We've done it plenty of times.. Never been in an 11 goal thriller

Aye we've played Petrov and pissing Elmander last god knows how long. Elmo and Chungy both put in the legwork and CYL has improved massively in terms of knowing where to actually run. Petrov worries me a bit in so much as he doesn't defend and Robbo vs Pennant could get ugly.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Youri06
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Youri06 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:48 pm

What's this all about? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 450431.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;