Semi Final Match Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

elfil76
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Semi Final Match Thread

Post by elfil76 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:20 am

I went to bed after the 4th goal went in (it was 1.30 am in SG) feeling very bitter and embarrassed for the lack of fight we gave the potters. Deep inside I was hoping we will get a couple of goals back but in fact I had nightmares that the final score was 6 or 7 - nil for stokes.

I read through this thread and I feel for all of you especially those who made it Wembley - respect to you all and hopefully you will get justice as you deserved. I would have reacted similarly if I am there I supposed, TV did cushion the disappointment a bit because I am not in the face of Stoke fans and walking out of the stadium together with them.

I hope the Wanderers will continue their transition to a better team. It is difficult to accept that performance knowing that we are capable of better football and should have at least went down fighting.

I think we should be giving other lads a chance now, bring in Wheat, Alonso, Bogdan and perhaps some from the reserve team and set them up for next season. Let's play roddo to see if he is worth the effort to keep him next year, let sturridge have a good run. I would rather have them in the team and not pick a point till the end of the season rather than those who have been given a fair amount of game. Btw, I don't see elmo staying anyway, unless he comes out and signs with us, I say drop him and give his slot to those we want to develop.

All the best to the fan that quit his job to watch this game. I wish you will still be a wanderer.

p.s. I am secretly thinking of flying to watch the final if we have made it through. :crazy:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:58 am

I'm afraid to say I missed the first half because i was in rehearsal (though did have a radio and so knew what was going on for the odd snatches of commentary i could get away with)

I was home for the second half - but opted to pretend it wasn't happening and watched Come Dine with Me with the kids (turning over once during the adverts to look at BBC teletext and discover it had got worse)

now the fact I couldn't go seems like a blessing - I would feel worse if I'd been - I'm finding it tough enough to hear the half-hourly R5 radio reports about Stoke winning and how glorious it all was for them...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:00 am

as fb friend Jo Marchment said on fb today....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNY376o2 ... r_embedded

Seamus' good leg
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Seamus' good leg » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:15 am

Brilliant - my 1st laugh out loud reaction to a post/clip; it was certainly needed - it's going to be a long day!

Marks
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marks » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:11 am

The whole team were shit from top to bottom. I cannot believe after the 2 games that we have already played this season that it was decided that lump long balls up to Davies would be a good idea. He hardly won a header against them at the Reebok this season and we were extremely lucky to come away with a win that day.

We need two new full backs as any half decent wingers can do as the please against Steinsson and Robinson. Robinson in paticular yesterday was utter shite. He had to give pennant 10 yards just to stay with him, and then turns his back to find Pennant has threaded Jones in and its 3-0.

Petrov is a lazy useless nice person (nuff said).

Jussi should have saved Huth's effort and again spilled one in the second half that went un punished. Al Habsi needs to be brought back for next season.

Even Kevin Davies's body language at 2-0 (!!!!!) was that of a defeated man.

Can't understand the mentality of the "fans" that stayed at home either. Door to doot for £60, its not exactly re-mortgage stuff is it? The amount of empty seats were a joke. Sure we would have sold the final out in record time though :roll:

Never felt as low or as annoyed as a Bolton fan. I thought the gutless performance against Watford in the play off's was as bad as it could get but this crew of bottlers dived to new depths.

Youri06
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Youri06 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:16 am

The morning after and as expected i feel just as awful as leaving the stadium yesterday. I don't even feel that if we win the remaining 6 games 5-0 it will make up for that complete obliteration we witnessed in our biggest game for years . I can't see myself getting excited for another cup run ever again as it seems that everytime we're in a massive match at a neutral stadium we completely bottle it, Preston in 2001 being the exception. Watford in 1999 we were favourites and i can't recall being in that game. The huge build up to Middlesbrough at Cardiff and after 7 minutes it was as good as game over. Hopefully i'll be proved wrong if we ever make it back to Wembley, i just can't remember feeling so low after a football match.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:26 am

Reading?

Perhaps we used up a lifetimes worth in that?

Better to have mad a semi and f*cked it up than just never bothering. It was shit, but football sometimes is like that. At least we made it far enough to be pissed off. It used to feel like this every other week not so long ago.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:31 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Reading?

Better to have mad a semi and f*cked it up than just never bothering. It was shit, but football sometimes is like that. At least we made it far enough to be pissed off. It used to feel like this every other week not so long ago.
Pretty much this. Has been a few years since we have had a season like this. The Spurs game earlier this season, the cup run and many others. The high points certainly outnumbered the low points.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:35 am

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:very difficult not to knee-jerk after that but i'll try.
dont buy the criticism of Coyle - apart from possibly Wheater for Knight (who was far from the worst in a white shirt) selection seemed fine. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Elmander seemed like the best option as CM given Davies could not have been fully match fit
not that arsed about who outsung who or who left early though i can NEVER understand leaving any game early.just really disappointed by the 11 who started- no leadership,no taking responsiblity and ineptitude all over the pitch.
Steinsonn and Robinson unfortunately lived down to my lowest expectations. Stoke's wide players on not that much possession ripped them apart and their full backs who are as poor as ours never got tested by Petrov and Lee. Dont agree that Jones pissed on our centre halves- the difference was their creative players created ours didnt and their full backs even at 4-0 defended properly ours didn't.
Yeah like at the time 5 goals we were going to score and fooking traffic and being tempted to boo a bunch of w*nkers off the pitch! the lot of them should be fooking shot.
BTW Coyle fecked up by playing Klasnic from the off our front line was so static it was a piece of piss for the Stoke defenders.
No Sturridge and frankly unless irts a set piece we are toothless up front down the middle!

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:37 am

Well that could have gone better.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 am

it's inexcusable what happened yestarday

but lets pick ourselves up and give Arsenal a good tonking

COYWM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODkVkpa ... ure=relmfu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:28 am

James B wrote:
The last time that Man City beat Man Utd in an FAC SF, they went on to lose the final v Bolton (1926)
name on the trophy guys 8)
name on the trophy next year 8)

as good of a day out as you can have losing a 5-0 semi. not sure what you can say on it really. quite simply reserved our worst performance of the season for the biggest game. stoke probably saved their best.

Owen_Coyle
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Owen_Coyle » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:49 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Reading?

That's how I see it my noble Lord. I had a great day down there yesterday until 4.11pm; cost me a fortune but wouldn't have missed it even after that result.

But sometimes it happens like that. When you are 2 down after 17 minutes and 3 down after 30 then we were always chasing the game, and as much as the players were always trying, it just didn't happen. And I know the players and OC are as gutted as anyone about how it went.

A bad day at the office and that is how I'll view it.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:55 am

Marks wrote: Can't understand the mentality of the "fans" that stayed at home either. Door to doot for £60, its not exactly re-mortgage stuff is it? The amount of empty seats were a joke. Sure we would have sold the final out in record time though
So you only spent a total of £60 for all of yesterday?

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:right now I'd like to see every fooker who played today transfer listed and moved on in the summer.
Go and stand in the corner with the other cock who wants Owen Coyle sacked.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:21 pm

Stoke fan1 wrote:Stoke fans can't believe what happened today.
They're not the only ones.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:21 pm

BL3 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:right now I'd like to see every fooker who played today transfer listed and moved on in the summer.
Go and stand in the corner with the other cock who wants Owen Coyle sacked.
Just a knee-jerk reaction - you have to account for these things in the heat of the moment.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:23 pm

keveh wrote:
Marks wrote: Can't understand the mentality of the "fans" that stayed at home either. Door to doot for £60, its not exactly re-mortgage stuff is it? The amount of empty seats were a joke. Sure we would have sold the final out in record time though
So you only spent a total of £60 for all of yesterday?
After petrol etc it was the best part of £100.00, thats most of my disposable monthly income and a complete waste of money and still so bloody angry about the lack of committment from some players I will keep my money to myself.

Don't blame Robbo, he had to defend against 2 players cos that useless cnut Petrov preferred to watch the match than get involved - should never wear a Bolton shirt again

Still mad and that was still a fcuking disgusting display, can say its the worst I have ever seen us, at least previous teams showed some commitment and passion that lot did nothing and a final place was at stake. I'm also still trying to think of any players we have had that were less effective that Klasnic and Petrov.
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:25 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:Yeah if you are being objective our fans were poorish. Most left early some at 3-0 (!!), we were very quiet.
What were you expecting? A wall of noise from our end at 5-0 down? The only people i saw 'leaving' at 3-0 were people who were going to the bar downstairs before half-time. They reappeared in the second half.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:28 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Well that could have gone better.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

At last something that made me smile

Oh and the new Wembley, still pretty much a shitehole with no charisma, Millenium was just as good and a lot cheaper to build, well done the FA
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!