TKIZ's impossibly brilliant all new Transfer Rumours thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Re: TKIZ's impossibly brilliant all new Transfer Rumours thr

Post by Beefheart » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Riviman wrote:
thebish wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
While none of our midfielders have scored all that many goals, I think theres a stat out there that we've had the highest number of different goalscorers in the premier league this year (Cohen adding to that figure). Im not certain of the exact figures, but I'd have a feeling this has been a good season in terms of goals scored compared to previous ones.
that can't be right - surely?? I'd be gobsmacked if that was anywhere close to being true. Arsenal must have more goalscorers than us for instance....
Quick count, may have missed odd one, but I think we've had 18 different scorers, not including own goals by the opposition.
I've tried google, and I cant find any evidence, but I'm sure I read it somewhere, it was earlier in the season, and may not still be true.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:17 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Riviman wrote:
thebish wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
While none of our midfielders have scored all that many goals, I think theres a stat out there that we've had the highest number of different goalscorers in the premier league this year (Cohen adding to that figure). Im not certain of the exact figures, but I'd have a feeling this has been a good season in terms of goals scored compared to previous ones.
that can't be right - surely?? I'd be gobsmacked if that was anywhere close to being true. Arsenal must have more goalscorers than us for instance....
Quick count, may have missed odd one, but I think we've had 18 different scorers, not including own goals by the opposition.
I've tried google, and I cant find any evidence, but I'm sure I read it somewhere, it was earlier in the season, and may not still be true.
It was an opta stat, where I spotted something similar, but it was a while ago.. January maybe. But it could still be a league record.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:18 pm

scorers:
Elmo, Klasnic,K Davies, Blake, kight, Petrov, CYLee, Steinsson, Holden, M Davies, Muamba, taylor, Rodrigo, Sturridge, Cahill, Cohen. + 2 own goals
:D
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:23 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:Coyle has obviously not had the level of funds available to him as previous managers.

However whatever money he gets to spend this summer, I think he could do better than spend the largest chunk (though I would guess Petrov cost about the same, all things considered) of it on a reserve left-back, deemed to be so inferior to the (pub-standard) incumbent, that we went to such drastic measures in the lead up to the Cup semi.

I'm sure Alonso will prove to be decent given time, but it was an odd way to utilise a small budget while working with a small squad.

------

On another note, we could probably do with looking for a midfielder who can score goals. Tamir Cohen hasn't played all season and yet he now sits on the same amount of goals as Muamba, Taylor and Mark Davies, one behind Stuart Holden and just two behind Petrov and Chung Yong Lee. Pratley?

I wonder if this is the first season since we returned to the Premier League, where we've had strikers who score the goals instead of the midfield?
Could be higher than any other Prem team this year @ 16 different scorers. Not our highest number of different goalscorers in the Prem yet. In 1995/6 I think we had 16 different players (excluding OG's) too.

In terms of total goals, we're on 48. Our best was 49, in both 2004/5 and 2005/6.

Arsenal are also on 16 different scorers for the season and there's a couple on 15.
Last edited by Worthy4England on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:Coyle has obviously not had the level of funds available to him as previous managers.

However whatever money he gets to spend this summer, I think he could do better than spend the largest chunk (though I would guess Petrov cost about the same, all things considered) of it on a reserve left-back, deemed to be so inferior to the (pub-standard) incumbent, that we went to such drastic measures in the lead up to the Cup semi.

I'm sure Alonso will prove to be decent given time, but it was an odd way to utilise a small budget while working with a small squad.

------

On another note, we could probably do with looking for a midfielder who can score goals. Tamir Cohen hasn't played all season and yet he now sits on the same amount of goals as Muamba, Taylor and Mark Davies, one behind Stuart Holden and just two behind Petrov and Chung Yong Lee. Pratley?

I wonder if this is the first season since we returned to the Premier League, where we've had strikers who score the goals instead of the midfield?
Could be higher than any other Prem team this year @ 16 different scorers. Not our highest number of different goalscorers in the Prem yet. In 1995/6 I think we had 16 different players (excluding OG's) too.

In terms of total goals, we're on 48. Our best was 49, in both 2004/5 and 2005/6.
Sorry to be a pain, but what was our highest scoring month?

This term, we got 15 in November
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote: Could be higher than any other Prem team this year @ 16 different scorers. Not our highest number of different goalscorers in the Prem yet. In 1995/6 I think we had 16 different players (excluding OG's) too.
Couldn't be arsed to look at all 20 teams but out of the top 10 we seem to be tied with Arsenal on 16. Interestingly Sunderland are bottom of those 10 with only 8 different scorers. They've flogged one of them to Villa and the other two in their top three are reported to be out for the rest of the season.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:43 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Beefheart wrote:

------

Sorry to be a pain, but what was our highest scoring month?

This term, we got 15 in November

Post War, we've beaten that tally in the top division twice.

Our best in the Prem was 12 in December 2006 - 6 games, Reading L 0-1, West Ham W 4-0, Aston Villa W 1-0, Man City W 2-0, Newcastle W 2-1, Portsmouth W - 3-2.

Prior to that, we bagged 17 in March 1959 - 7 games. Chelsea W 6-0, Blackpool L 0-4, Villa L 1-3, West Ham L 3-4, Leicester D 3-3, Spurs W 4-1, Leicester D 0-0.

16 in December 1948 - 5 games - PNE W 5-3, Everton L 0-1, Sunderland W 4-1, Sheffield Utd D 1-1, Sheffield United W 6-1

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:37 pm

As we've gone statty: we're on 46 points with 15 left to play for. The "four tops" seasons in which we finished top-eight, we got:

2003/04 - 53pts (8th)
2004/05 - 58pts (6th)
2005/06 - 56pts (8th)
2006/07 - 56pts (7th)

Some targets there...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:50 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:As we've gone statty: we're on 46 points with 15 left to play for. The "four tops" seasons in which we finished top-eight, we got:

2003/04 - 53pts (8th)
2004/05 - 58pts (6th)
2005/06 - 56pts (8th)
2006/07 - 56pts (7th)

Some targets there...
Only in 2004 did we have fewer points after 33 games than this season.

2004 we had 41
2005 - 52
2006 - 48
2007 - 54

Our final 5 games those years yielded the following points hauls.

2004 - 12 points (our best last 5 game tally in the Prem)
2005 - 6 points
2006 - 8 points
2007 - 2 points (our worst last 5 game tally in the Prem)

6/7 points is our most likely, which would put us on 52/53.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
It does make me laugh though that there are certain posters who were last close season extolling the virtues of "putting the entire squad up for sale" and "totally rebuilding with new players" seem to have changed their tune.
I'm guessing this is a reference to your own jumping-off-beachy-head-we're-so-shit posts straight after the Stoke game, right?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:47 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
It does make me laugh though that there are certain posters who were last close season extolling the virtues of "putting the entire squad up for sale" and "totally rebuilding with new players" seem to have changed their tune.
I'm guessing this is a reference to your own jumping-off-beachy-head-we're-so-shit posts straight after the Stoke game, right?
:pray:
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:42 pm

jmjhb wrote:If we're setting our sights higher, then obviously there's no point discussing potential targets from the Championship like Pratley then, is there? F*ck it, let's just sign Messi and be done with it.
Read my further point before diving in with the knobishness........... whoops... too late!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:You've had a bit of a mare there Bruce.
Only in your eyes, but then you're an arrogant prick that thinks your opinion is the one to have. You've had the mare, mate. Not me. just look at those Wolves players that you mentioned again. Oh, my giddy aunt! :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:02 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
jmjhb wrote:If we're setting our sights higher, then obviously there's no point discussing potential targets from the Championship likthe e Pratley then, is there? F*ck it, let's just sign Messi and be done with it.
Read my further point before diving in with the knobishness........... whoops... too late!
What further point was that? If you think that only 3 of the 55 first-team players from the relegation candidates would improve the squad in some way, then I'm afraid there's not much more to say. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Any of the other players I mentioned would be a better squad option than the likes of Joey O'Brien, J'Lloyd Samuel and Sean Davis and in most cases would be available relatively cheaply. Otherwise we can spunk money on Hollywood signings and play with 4 subs on the bench again.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:14 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:You've had a bit of a mare there Bruce.
Only in your eyes, but then you're an arrogant prick that thinks your opinion is the one to have. You've had the mare, mate. Not me. just look at those Wolves players that you mentioned again. Oh, my giddy aunt! :roll:
Doyle didn't play as he is injured.

Are you seriously trying to say that Doyle and Jarvis wouldn't be decent additions?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:15 am

Neither are better than what we have.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:38 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Neither are better than what we have.
Depends what we have I guess. Sturridge stays and you're right Doyle wouldn't be better but then again, Elmander and Sturridge leave and he'd be better than a front two of Davies and Klasnic. Better by a long way.

Jarvis is very good IMO, but you are right that he probably wouldn't get in ahead of LCY. Again depends if LCY is here next season, as Liverpool are sniffing round him again. Equally though he can play on the left so would give a good option down there and arguably an improvement over Taylor, going forwards at least! I think he's a good player who's gone a little quiet this season but will still be a good buy for someone.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:39 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Depends what we have I guess. Sturridge stays and you're right Doyle wouldn't be better but then again, Elmander and Sturridge leave and he'd be better than a front two of Davies and Klasnic. Better by a long way.
Dunno about that but the point is he would offer options. If/when Elmo and Studger leave, our back-up for Davies and Klasnic would be Blake, Ward and Eaves*. I suspect we'll need a touch more depth, and that depth might just come from nicking PL-standard squad players from clubs who drop. How we could have done with an O'Hara to step in after Holden's injury...

*Assuming Rodrigo's loan isn't converted into a transfer at the current daft asking price of £6m

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:52 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dunno about that but the point is he would offer options. If/when Elmo and Studger leave, our back-up for Davies and Klasnic would be Blake, Ward and Eaves*. I suspect we'll need a touch more depth, and that depth might just come from nicking PL-standard squad players from clubs who drop. How we could have done with an O'Hara to step in after Holden's injury...

*Assuming Rodrigo's loan isn't converted into a transfer at the current daft asking price of £6m
Is Blake out of contract in the summer?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:53 am

I think he was only signed on a one-year deal, aye. If not, I'd imagine Coyle would let him leave anyway.