On the way to the top or Sinking Ship?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

m_taylor
Promising
Promising

On the way to the top or Sinking Ship?

Post by m_taylor » Thu May 05, 2011 9:31 am

Hey all,

Was in the pub the other day and me and my friends were talking about whether we thought Bolton were on the way back to being a team hovering around the Euro places or heading back to be a team struggling to survive?

We have key players leaving like Elmo and Cahill (although not certain, i think we all know its going to happen) and we seem to depend a lot on a young loanee players like Sturridge who aren't given the chance at there parent club that we can't afford to buy after!

With all the talk a couple of months ago with us having so much debt is Coyle going to get any money to spend to replace these key player?

I think if we can keep CYL and keep Holden and Mavis fit then I think our midfield is very good but i do worry about our back 4 and Forwards.

SKD has one season left IMO and from what i have seen and heard of Tom Eaves he is a few years of being ready, and I have heard a lot about Danny Ward too but is he going to storm the 'Barclays Premier League' soon?

My worry is that we have key players, Jussi, Cahill, SKD, Sturridge and Elmo who are either leaving, getting older or are too expensive to buy back. The players that we are being linked with don't fill me confidence. I believe in Coyle and i am huge fan of what he is trying to do but will he be given the budget to make us into the team we all want to see?

Just wanted to see what other fans thought?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: On the way to the top or Sinking Ship?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 05, 2011 9:35 am

Its quite evident that our midfield is most definitely NOT "very good".

This summer is a big crossroads for the club. I don't believe we can get away with " a few coming in" and more or less "bumbling along as we are". But folk will argue that we're 8th. For the reasons you outlined above I don't think that strategy will maintain 8th position.

However, Coyle is determined, his career probably hinges on our performance next season and I'm fairly sure there will be some money made available. I think its blatantly obvious that we need new players.

On the plus side get Holden, Sean Davis and Ricketts fit as soon as possible and we'll be stronger already!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu May 05, 2011 9:43 am

We've improved immeasurably on last year. So we're heading in the right direction.

For the moment, we have the resources within the goalkeeping depratment in abundance.

We do have a decent set of defenders, one or two additions covering those leaving would see us right.

The midfield is pretty decent, when the first choices are available. What we need are more first choices, less dross and more availability would be the key. So replace Cohen, O'Brien and Gardner with 2 better players. If possible. But hopefully, with the wages freed up from those three, plus one goalkeeper, Cahill and Elmander (if reinvested) would be relatively straightforward to do.

Its the forward line that needs attention. What we've got is lots of supersub and squad strength there. So we need a good first teamer. Thats where the big investment needs to be made. That will make or break us for next season.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu May 05, 2011 10:27 am

Who the f uck is Mavis

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 05, 2011 10:31 am

m_taylor
Promising
Promising

Post by m_taylor » Thu May 05, 2011 10:34 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Who the f uck is Mavis
Mark Davies.

I think once all our midfield are fit then its our strongest area. CYL, Holden, Mavis!

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu May 05, 2011 10:35 am

Jesus wept :doh:

Mavis = old biddy from Corrie
Mark Davies = injury prone tubster

m_taylor
Promising
Promising

Post by m_taylor » Thu May 05, 2011 10:36 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Jesus wept :doh:

Mavis = old biddy from Corrie
Mark Davies = injury prone tubster
Lol, i take it your not a fan of his?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu May 05, 2011 10:43 am

He's alright. Nothing special.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 05, 2011 10:52 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:He's alright. Nothing special.
It worries me when you talk sense.

:shock:

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu May 05, 2011 10:55 am

I always talk sense. Folk should listen more. 8)

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Thu May 05, 2011 10:56 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not much sense to me ;), I think he'll be quality in the next few years should he keep his head down

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu May 05, 2011 10:56 am

What does that actually mean?

m_taylor
Promising
Promising

Post by m_taylor » Thu May 05, 2011 10:57 am

HMX wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not much sense to me ;), I think he'll be quality in the next few years should he keep his head down
I agree, i think with Holden a long side him he could be a great player for us!

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Thu May 05, 2011 10:59 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:What does that actually mean?
If he works hard, watches his weight and behaves himself. Not that he's liable to the opposite of those.

camposol-john
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by camposol-john » Sat May 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Time to remove the rose tinted glasses,any team that can't win or score just has to play the wanderers.
Take away the 6 points we got from the hammers and the points pinched from WBA and Blackpool and we would be in the relegation fight.
Not sure about the manager yet,at least twice we were second best against ten men.
For me its not about who he brings in to the club this summer but who is able to offload.
Cahill is going this only leaves CYL Al habsi and possibly Knight and Holden worth keeping.
WE wont finish in the top ten and this has not been a good season (how many times do Stoke put 5 past us.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 07, 2011 6:32 pm

camposol-john wrote:Time to remove the rose tinted glasses,any team that can't win or score just has to play the wanderers.
Take away the 6 points we got from the hammers and the points pinched from WBA and Blackpool and we would be in the relegation fight.
Not sure about the manager yet,at least twice we were second best against ten men.
For me its not about who he brings in to the club this summer but who is able to offload.
Cahill is going this only leaves CYL Al habsi and possibly Knight and Holden worth keeping.
WE wont finish in the top ten and this has not been a good season (how many times do Stoke put 5 past us.
Do fcuk off.

Add on the points we lost against Everton and Spurs and we'd be fairly comfortable top 10.

If you don't see the improvement from this over last season, then the rose tinting of your glasses is the least of your worries. I'd be putting in for a new guide dog if I were you.

Do I think there's plenty of areas to improve on - yes absolutely - we're shite in the middle of MF and defensively out on the flanks.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat May 07, 2011 11:23 pm

We're still in a transitional phase despite Owen Coyle being at the helm for a season and a half. A lot of this current team is made up of different managers signings.

The glass is definitely half full as far as i'm concerned. Coyle has been working wonders with a squad he's had very little involvement in signing.

We're on the up and up. We had a trip to Wembley, one game away from Europe (the Stoke game) and we're set for a top ten finish. If thats not heading in the right direction from last season then I don't know what is.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun May 08, 2011 12:17 am

Mar wrote:We're still in a transitional phase despite Owen Coyle being at the helm for a season and a half. A lot of this current team is made up of different managers signings.

The glass is definitely half full as far as i'm concerned. Coyle has been working wonders with a squad he's had very little involvement in signing.

We're on the up and up. We had a trip to Wembley, one game away from Europe (the Stoke game) and we're set for a top ten finish. If thats not heading in the right direction from last season then I don't know what is.
(you forgotm to mention Megson has gone silly boy)