Would you like to see the club badge changed?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Would you like to see the club badge changed?

No
32%
I don't care either way
15%
Yes
53%

Total votes: 68

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Would you like to see the club badge changed?

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed May 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:Does anyone know why it changed from being a proper badge to being 4 letters?
Apparently a competition was held circa 1970 and the round thing was the winner! :shock:
We must be the only club in the world to 1) have our initials as a club badge, and 2) have the badge chosen from a competition... and possibly 3) to have an anthem no-one's heard of.

Unique is good. COYW!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:20 pm

keveh wrote:The reason I don't like the ribbons is that I think they come out too far, they are around the same size of the logo, so when being printed etc our actual initials become less prominent.

I also think they spoil the symmetry of it as well. You have these perfectly round initials, then something just hanging down the sides.
Absolutely spot on. You certainly seem to have more of a grasp of design than whoever was responsible for the current badge.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:We must be the only club in the world to 1) have our initials as a club badge, and 2) have the badge chosen from a competition... and possibly 3) to have an anthem no-one's heard of.

Unique is good. COYW!
But uniquely bad isn't.

Plenty of teams both here and abroad have their club initials as their badge.

Believe it or not, Brian Clough had a hand in the re-design of both the Derby and Nottingham Forest badges.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:They spent fook loads on the old one, went to the trouble of copyrighting it, printing it everywhere, basing a worldwide campaign to push the 'brand' with it, and folk reckon they'll change it coz fans don't like the ribbons, and someone has come up with a pretty alternative. Nice to discuss but I wouldn't waste my time.
If that was true then no company would ever change their branding. It's not that expensive to phase a new one in and phase the old one out, it doesn't have to be done overnight.

YtarmyYtarmy
Promising
Promising

Post by YtarmyYtarmy » Wed May 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:Does anyone know why it changed from being a proper badge to being 4 letters?
Apparently a competition was held circa 1970 and the round thing was the winner! :shock:
We must be the only club in the world to 1) have our initials as a club badge, and 2) have the badge chosen from a competition... and possibly 3) to have an anthem no-one's heard of.

Unique is good. COYW!
I know Fulhams have their initials as their badge, but apparently they changed it to attract the younger generation (possibly because they're illiterate and can't spell Fulham Football Club). Not sure if points 2 and 3 apply

I like the BWFC in the circle part, ribbons i can take or leave, but as a few of said it fairly irrelevant

http://www.comenplay.com/profiles/defau ... ?mid=15857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Wed May 11, 2011 8:41 pm

It was a competition, i seem to remember from mid 60's to early 70's we didn't have a badge on the shirt. I think it was mid 70's when the badge on shirt reappeared.
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Wed May 11, 2011 8:47 pm

It was 1975 when the badge changed then 2001 when the ribbons came in.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bolton_ ... derers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Born to be a Wanderer!!

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Wed May 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Sorry correct Webpage

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bolton_ ... derers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Born to be a Wanderer!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 11, 2011 9:05 pm

Turkish Trotter wrote:I seem to remember from mid 60's to early 70's we didn't have a badge on the shirt. I think it was mid 70's when the badge on shirt reappeared.
I've searched the Press Association (it's a perk of the job) and you're right. There are frustrating gaps but:

in 1965/66 we had the Modish round-neck collar with the B/W badge atopped by elephant.

The next BW PA pics are from a July 1969 photoshoot and there's no badge (and all-white kit with no trim).

Same in 70/71 - all white, no badge, no trim.

Then there's no pics till January 74 (John ByromByromByrom's hat-trick v Stoke) and we're back in blue shorts but no trim or badge.

Not sure about 74/75 (no pics) but in Aug 1975 there's another pre-season photoshoot and we've developed the circular badge - hand-stitched by the looks of it, enclosed by one red then one black circle (nothing outside it).

Not sure about 76/77 (no pics) but by the Aug 77 team photoshoot the badge had been developed into the neater-lettered, uncircled classic with the red rose and red banner underneath.

That remained for years, only changing (apparently in 1990/91) to red lettering when Reebok first sponsored us (but didn't yet make the kits).

In 95/96 we developed an odd blue box round the badge; in 97/98 this changed to a blue circle; in 99/00 back to a boxy thing; then in 2000 came the ribbons...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 11, 2011 10:51 pm

keveh wrote:The reason I don't like the ribbons is that I think they come out too far, they are around the same size of the logo, so when being printed etc our actual initials become less prominent.
You really did need to start that post with "I'm not gay or owt, but.... " :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed May 11, 2011 10:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
You really did need to start that post with "I'm not gay or owt, but.... " :lol:
Because our logo is less visible? :conf:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 12, 2011 9:47 am

keveh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
No. Because you actually have an issue with it. Less oestrogen on your corn flakes. :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 12, 2011 10:00 am

keveh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
wake up Keveh - it's "gay" to think about ribbons and fashion and how something looks - interior design - all "gay".

it's heterosexual to fanny about worrying what kind of wine you have with your dinner or which Italian restaurant is slightly better than another one. :wink:

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu May 12, 2011 10:02 am

Well said. It certainly is.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 12, 2011 10:05 am

thebish wrote:
keveh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
wake up Keveh - it's "gay" to think about ribbons and fashion and how something looks - interior design - all "gay".

it's heterosexual to fanny about worrying what kind of wine you have with your dinner or which Italian restaurant is slightly better than another one. :wink:
Correct. I knew you'd caught on just as soon as I saw that you have woodchip on your walls. Well done you. :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 12, 2011 10:11 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:
keveh wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Correct. I knew you'd caught on just as soon as I saw that you have woodchip on your walls. Well done you. :wink:
how "gay" of you to notice :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 12, 2011 10:13 am

Oooooh, get Penelope Cheapskate there! :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 12, 2011 10:15 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Oooooh, get Penelope Cheapskate there! :D
calm down dear - type slower - you'll chip your nails! :wink:

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu May 12, 2011 1:18 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Elephants !

We want elephants.

... & I'm not going to watch the Wanderers live again till we get Navy Blue shorts back.

Megson out !!
Wise words from a wise man. :grin:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu May 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I've searched the Press Association (it's a perk of the job)
So we do have a representative in the national media! Nice work!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.