TKIZ's impossibly brilliant all new Transfer Rumours thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: TKIZ's impossibly brilliant all new Transfer Rumours thr

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 16, 2011 9:25 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:
Sunderland are closing in on Blackpool midfielder David Vaughan, 28, who is a free agent at the end of the season.
Full story: Daily Mirror
He'd be worth a go, on a free. Impressed me at weekend.
I think he'd be an excellent addition on a free.

Just goes to show though, that there are players who can step up to the premiership and do a job who you don't have to spend a fortune on. I think thats the big test of managers at clubs like ours, picking the right ones.

Megson bought well mainly, but spent a lot of money to do it and in doing so wasted some money.

Allardyce signed mainly older players who did fantastic jobs but the model was not sustainable longer term.

Coyle wants to get younger players which is good but I think raiding the lower leagues for the likes of Vaughan etc will be important.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon May 16, 2011 9:44 am

Going to be an interesting summer. I think Coyle works best with players hungry to prove themsevles and who work hard, and buy into the team ethos - obviously at top level you have to try and marry this with the type of quality player our status now demands, and sometimes it doesn't quite work all the time, they possess more skill than out & out passion & hard work...sometimes this works for you, sometimes it doesn't.

ReliantRobbo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ReliantRobbo » Mon May 16, 2011 11:19 am

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but how about Michael Johnson from City? I think i heard somewhere City want to get rid of him and a few others either out on loan or permanently, wages would probably be a barrier though :|

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon May 16, 2011 11:20 am

Isnt he a fat boozehound?

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon May 16, 2011 11:21 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Isnt he a fat boozehound?
Aye with back problems, he's got a glass back.

David Vaughan had a great game, reliable and I think would work very well with Holden.

Also thought Reo-Coker had a good game against Arsenal as well
Last edited by TKIZ! on Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pfffft.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon May 16, 2011 11:22 am

ReliantRobbo wrote:Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but how about Michael Johnson from City? I think i heard somewhere City want to get rid of him and a few others either out on loan or permanently, wages would probably be a barrier though :|
Not for me, too many injuries and too many tales of off-field indulgence (in a whole load of different things).

Get O'Hara instead.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 am

O'Hara is a good shout but I think if Wolves stay up he's said he wants to stay there
Pfffft.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon May 16, 2011 11:30 am

No doubt they've pre-arranged a fee, but I'd like to think we could offer him more than a place in a midfield at a side who will never be more than 15th downwards....

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon May 16, 2011 11:31 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:No doubt they've pre-arranged a fee, but I'd like to think we could offer him more than a place in a midfield at a side who will never be more than 15th downwards....
True that chief, you'd like to think so wouldn't you. This is were the fun begins now, how mnay midfielders are we going to be linked with? Every team knows that it's what we lack, we'll get quoted ridiculous amounts for players because of the Cahill transfer.
Pfffft.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Vaughan looks a very Coyle type of player. And you have to say DJ Campbell keeps doin' the do.

I'd be very interested in Jonathan Spector, now out of contract at West Ham. Can play across the back four and has also impressed in midfield - especially against his old club the Rags in that cup game this season. Provided he doesn't want sky-high wages I reckon he could be a very good freebie squaddie.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Thing with DJ Campbell is he misses a lot of chances. He missed a few at the Bok this season, Blackpool should have been well away before we came back to 2-2.

At Blackpool he gets away with missing them as they are an attacking side and just keep pouring forwards and there is usually another chance round the corner. He also doesn't have any crowd pressure or a manager who will criticise him.

I can't think of many other clubs where all of that would be the case. And he strikes me as a confidence type of player. Miss a couple of chances for us get the crowd on his back cost us a few points and I could see him dissapearing quite quickly in games!

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Mon May 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Carlos Cuellar cant be too happy bench warming - another Villa CH anyone?
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon May 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Oh hells no

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon May 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Cuellar is a donkey
Pfffft.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Vaughan looks a very Coyle type of player. And you have to say DJ Campbell keeps doin' the do.

I'd be very interested in Jonathan Spector, now out of contract at West Ham. Can play across the back four and has also impressed in midfield - especially against his old club the Rags in that cup game this season. Provided he doesn't want sky-high wages I reckon he could be a very good freebie squaddie.

it's not that long ago he was considered to be a complete joke - has he improved?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 16, 2011 4:34 pm

thebish wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I'd be very interested in Jonathan Spector, now out of contract at West Ham. Can play across the back four and has also impressed in midfield - especially against his old club the Rags in that cup game this season. Provided he doesn't want sky-high wages I reckon he could be a very good freebie squaddie.
it's not that long ago he was considered to be a complete joke - has he improved?
Well, it helped when he left his last club. His signing wouldn't make the summer but my impression from the occasions I've seen him is that we'd struggle to get a better utility-playing Prem-experienced squad member on a free.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon May 16, 2011 4:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
thebish wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I'd be very interested in Jonathan Spector, now out of contract at West Ham. Can play across the back four and has also impressed in midfield - especially against his old club the Rags in that cup game this season. Provided he doesn't want sky-high wages I reckon he could be a very good freebie squaddie.
Well, it helped when he left his last club. His signing wouldn't make the summer but my impression from the occasions I've seen him is that we'd struggle to get a better utility-playing Prem-experienced squad member on a free.
Agreed. I wonder how many of Owen's targets will actually have a price tage attached to them?
Pfffft.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon May 16, 2011 6:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Thing with DJ Campbell is he misses a lot of chances. He missed a few at the Bok this season, Blackpool should have been well away before we came back to 2-2.

At Blackpool he gets away with missing them as they are an attacking side and just keep pouring forwards and there is usually another chance round the corner.
He also doesn't have any crowd pressure or a manager who will criticise him.

I can't think of many other clubs where all of that would be the case. And he strikes me as a confidence type of player. Miss a couple of chances for us get the crowd on his back cost us a few points and I could see him dissapearing quite quickly in games!
Davies doesn't shoot, but Elmander and Sturridge have scored a similar amount to Campbell, and at times they miss chances for fun.

My only problem with DJ is that I just couldn't see him reproducing his current form elsewhere. He's 29 years old and previous to Blackpool, he last scored more than 10 goals in a season for a side when he was playing in the Ryman League.

I have the same worries about a lot of Blackpool's players. Generally speaking they are a group of career lower league players, pushing 30, on an incredible fairytale run. If they get relegated and the team breaks up, I'm not sure the individual parts will be up to much. I would be happy enough with Vaughan.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon May 16, 2011 7:50 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Isnt he a fat boozehound?
Aye with back problems, he's got a glass back.

David Vaughan had a great game, reliable and I think would work very well with Holden.

Also thought Reo-Coker had a good game against Arsenal as well
Buy him and get him to go on all fours, be a nice feature table in the boardroom :)

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:00 pm

I'd like us to sign that Dyer bloke from Swansea. Rapid.