Does the club need an anthem?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Yes
43%
No
38%
Not Bothered
19%

Total votes: 42

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Mon May 16, 2011 4:36 pm

Just wanted to see what people feel about an anthem. There's a lot of talk about the lack of atmosphere at the club, would an anthem change this? And does anyone have an suggestions as to what that anthem should be?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Does the club need an anthem?

Post by thebish » Mon May 16, 2011 4:37 pm

no.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon May 16, 2011 4:38 pm

A thousand times no

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Mon May 16, 2011 4:38 pm

My suggestion would be Ben E. King - Stand By Me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg7YoXiKn0

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:40 pm

Voted "Yes". I've got feck all idea what this anthem might be, but I'm always envious of Liverpool or Sto...St...nope. They sound amazing when they're all belting out a song, and it creates a real sense of intimidation around the ground. Somehow "We're the one and only Wanderers (boom boom boom boom)" doesn't quite have the same effect...

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon May 16, 2011 4:40 pm

Nope.
Pfffft.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon May 16, 2011 4:40 pm

truewhite15 wrote:Voted "Yes". I've got feck all idea what this anthem might be, but I'm always envious of Liverpool or Sto...St...nope. They sound amazing when they're all belting out a song, and it creates a real sense of intimidation around the ground. Somehow "We're the one and only Wanderers (boom boom boom boom)" doesn't quite have the same effect...
I think it does

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:Voted "Yes". I've got feck all idea what this anthem might be, but I'm always envious of Liverpool or Sto...St...nope. They sound amazing when they're all belting out a song, and it creates a real sense of intimidation around the ground. Somehow "We're the one and only Wanderers (boom boom boom boom)" doesn't quite have the same effect...
I think it does
When it properly gets going, I agree with you. The trouble is that even that doesn't get the proper half an hour sing-a-thons nowadays.

For a brief amount of time, our adopted club anthem was "Amarillo"; this, too, seemed to lack the power that "You'll Never Walk Alone" or "Delilah" seems to show...

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon May 16, 2011 4:46 pm

Doesn't really make any difference though, in the long term - Liverpool look like a load of song-stealing pikeys with theirs, and the less said about 'Delilah' the better. Peasants.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon May 16, 2011 4:53 pm

depends what you define as an anthem. The way Stoke picked up Delilah and is such a big part of their matchday persona, and likewise with City and Blue Moon and those lovely big club people at West Ham who will now be taking their bubble blowing to the Championship...

If that's the sort of identity thing then yeah, we definitely need something.

If your idea is a conga with us all raising a flask to "the wanderer" by Status Quo.... not happening

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Mon May 16, 2011 4:56 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:depends what you define as an anthem. The way Stoke picked up Delilah and is such a big part of their matchday persona, and likewise with City and Blue Moon and those lovely big club people at West Ham who will now be taking their bubble blowing to the Championship...

If your idea is a conga with us all raising a flask to "the wanderer" by Status Quo.... not happening
That is what I meant, yeah.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon May 16, 2011 4:56 pm

I wonder how Gartside's 'anthem' is coming along?
Pfffft.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:58 pm

TKIZ! wrote:I wonder how Gartside's 'anthem' is coming along?
Wasn't that what they played for us at Wem...sorry, forgot, they can't have played anything for us, it never happened...

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon May 16, 2011 5:01 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Wasn't that what they played for us at Wem...sorry, forgot, they can't have played anything for us, it never happened...
Seriously? That's what that was? It was instantly rubbish!
Pfffft.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:03 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
Seriously? That's what that was? It was instantly rubbish!
It definitely sounded like Danny from McFly...or rather, didn't, cos I wasn't there, and neither was anyone else...

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon May 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Gaz Tomorrow wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:depends what you define as an anthem. The way Stoke picked up Delilah and is such a big part of their matchday persona, and likewise with City and Blue Moon and those lovely big club people at West Ham who will now be taking their bubble blowing to the Championship...

I agree with you too, but if we get anything it'll be something by McFly, whoever they are :(

It needs to be something classic from a few years back. On the wandering theme you could have something like 500 miles by the Proclaimers. Or, I've already said we should use Son of my Father by whoever that 70s band were.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Mon May 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Gaz Tomorrow wrote:

I agree with you too, but if we get anything it'll be something by McFly, whoever they are :(

It needs to be something classic from a few years back. On the wandering theme you could have something like 500 miles by the Proclaimers. Or, I've already said we should use Son of my Father by whoever that 70s band were.
Good track for it, just wonder whick version would be sung :lol: Which is why i said Stand By Me, i think lyrically it is the right sort of thing, not difficult lyrics either.

Simon_BWFC
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Simon_BWFC » Mon May 16, 2011 5:26 pm

What about the "We dont carry hammers, we dont carry lead" song from the 70/s , anyone remember the other lines??
or " your goin home in a f**kin abulance"
only joking guys, found it funy tho,,,,, :Jedi: :whack:
First Match: Sat 17 August 1974 BWFC v Portsmouth Won 3-0

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon May 16, 2011 5:30 pm

what about this one :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTN6Du3MCgI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Nobbys Belly
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Nobbys Belly » Mon May 16, 2011 5:36 pm

An anthem would be good, most clubs have a song does'nt have to be all that clever or even football related. For example delilah is a crap song but its pretty impressive when you've 30,000 singing it in unison. Plus it would save us all going wtf when wembley play us a song we should all know.
As long as the wind blows, fortunes can change.