Does the club need an anthem?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Does the club need an anthem?

Yes
43%
No
38%
Not Bothered
19%

Total votes: 42

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Re: Does the club need an anthem?

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Mon May 16, 2011 10:39 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Clubs develop anthems simply by repetition over a long time.

If they're going to do it, pick a song and stick with it for more than a couple of home games. It'll catch on sooner or later, even if people moan in the short term. |

Theres no magic formula.
As long as it isn't that 'just cant get enough rubbish'!

So, what happens now, I think a poll on this subject is a tad pointless seeing as most people are up for the idea and even those who aren't on board aren't against the idea in principle. If we can continue the suggestions, get a shortlist/ poll going on them and then branch out to BWSA/other websites first. Anyone on twitter/facebook want to spread the word??
I dont use Twitter or FB but we can get a shortlist of songs going here?

Chicory Tip - Son Of My Father

Ben E. King - Stand By Me

Those are my suggestions for a shortlist 8)

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Mon May 16, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm 20, my taste in music sucks, i'll have to pass on this one :( :( :(

Gaz Tomorrow
Promising
Promising

Post by Gaz Tomorrow » Mon May 16, 2011 11:00 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:I'm 20, my taste in music sucks, i'll have to pass on this one :( :( :(
I'm 17 next month :wink:

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue May 17, 2011 8:46 am

Are the Houghton Weavers still going? Is Howard Broadbent still alive?

That's what the club will be thinking, if at all.

Gartside (on phone): "Bernard Wrigley? Can you do us a favour?"

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:34 am

If anyone is interested in adopting 'The Lion of Vienna' as the club anthem, then Tony Berry can be contacted via [email protected].

According to him it's not going to cost anyone anything and they're willing to donate the proceeds to a Nat Lofthouse statue fund. However they need the backing of both the club and the town.

It's a no brainer. The campaign should start here.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 17, 2011 12:48 pm

TKIZ! wrote:How come our resident rock star/god hasn't recorded anything for us yet, DSB? :D
Sorry folks. Busy rehearsing for summer festivals (six and rising) and new album (studio next month).

Thing is, as has been said, you can't prescribe an anthem – particularly as a quick glance over this thread shows that any new song is guaranteed to be sneered at and you'll never get consensus on existing ones. Had the internet existed in the 60s, would Celtic and Liverpool fans have agreed to adopt a Carousel showtune about a failed bank robber committing suicide? Would Stokies have chosen a waltz-time tune about a spurned lover turned murderous and then begging pathetically?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 17, 2011 12:51 pm

Sheff United fans singing "Greasy Chip Butty" to the tune of "Fill up my senses" is a great anthem. I get really envious when I hear fans belting out a song that has their 'mark' on it..

But again, our fans are ashite vocally. The few kids that sing only sing a song that some big lad they look upto inanely warbles at away games. If another section of the crowd begin one, they refuse flat out to get involved
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue May 17, 2011 3:03 pm

boltonboris wrote:Sheff United fans singing "Greasy Chip Butty" to the tune of "Fill up my senses" is a great anthem. I get really envious when I hear fans belting out a song that has their 'mark' on it..

But again, our fans are ashite vocally. The few kids that sing only sing a song that some big lad they look upto inanely warbles at away games. If another section of the crowd begin one, they refuse flat out to get involved
Annie's Song is my favourite as well, but obviously with the St Helens slant. Love it when Saints fans get it going and it sounded so good at Knowlsey Road belting that out. Wish we had something similar!

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Tue May 17, 2011 4:21 pm

i like the lion of vienna song in principle, especially given how his death has promted many of the younger supporters to re-discover the man and his legend on bwfc. i also think the club would be fully behind promoting the song as an anthem and any potential links it could have with a statute of the great man.

my only gripe with the song is that it has become very dated. also it is a bit 'wordy' if that makes sense :wink: however it has a belting chorus!! actually the first part of my gripes may not be that relevent seeing as all the club anthems i can think of (m.o.t at leeds united, never walk alone at liverpool) are all showing their age/tradition.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 17, 2011 5:23 pm

I like the idea of the Lofty one.. But let's face it, if West Ham had an anthem about Sir Bobby Moore, we'd probably take the piss out of them

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:26 pm

boltonboris wrote:I like the idea of the Lofty one.. But let's face it, if West Ham had an anthem about Sir Bobby Moore, we'd probably take the piss out of them
It would be more relevant than a song from a musical which is what they've got now.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:26 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:i like the lion of vienna song in principle, especially given how his death has promted many of the younger supporters to re-discover the man and his legend on bwfc. i also think the club would be fully behind promoting the song as an anthem and any potential links it could have with a statute of the great man.

my only gripe with the song is that it has become very dated. also it is a bit 'wordy' if that makes sense :wink: however it has a belting chorus!! actually the first part of my gripes may not be that relevent seeing as all the club anthems i can think of (m.o.t at leeds united, never walk alone at liverpool) are all showing their age/tradition.
An anthem for a club like ours should reflect the history and traditions of the club. If it sounds like it comes from a different era then that's not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. Perhaps BWSA could put the idea to the club if people feel strongly enough about it.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 17, 2011 5:27 pm

But it is VERY 'Them'

LiOC
Reliable
Reliable

Post by LiOC » Tue May 17, 2011 5:29 pm

BL3 wrote:If anyone is interested in adopting 'The Lion of Vienna' as the club anthem, then Tony Berry can be contacted via [email protected].

According to him it's not going to cost anyone anything and they're willing to donate the proceeds to a Nat Lofthouse statue fund. However they need the backing of both the club and the town.

It's a no brainer. The campaign should start here.
I think this'd get my vote tbh. I think there's nothing that better represents the club than Lofty. I think this is something most fans would get behind too.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue May 17, 2011 6:18 pm

I would support that too.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 17, 2011 8:10 pm

The Lion of Vienna one is far too complicated to be sung on the terraces, the tune reminds me of some of the 70s ones though like Marching on Together (Leeds, obv). Plus it should be summat random that ina way makes some sense, but in others doesn't.....less 'forced'.

the-Bowtun-Warrior
Reliable
Reliable

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior » Tue May 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Would deffo support 'The Lion of Vienna' song personally. given time it will catch and not too complicated IMO

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Tue May 17, 2011 8:24 pm

The lion of vienna would never be sung on the "terraces".
Its far too complicated and would never catch on.
Its dated, and whats worse when at Goodison and they belt out their golden oldies' its so embarrasing and even the Everton fans say so.
You need something with a simple beat, that can be sung by 20000 out of tune supporters.
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue May 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Turkish Trotter wrote: You need something with a simple beat, that can be sung by 20000 out of tune supporters.
Stormy Weather by The Pixies it is then.

We should get a mosaic sorted out for next season too.

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Tue May 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Turkish Trotter wrote: You need something with a simple beat, that can be sung by 20000 out of tune supporters.
Stormy Weather by The Pixies it is then.

We should get a mosaic sorted out for next season too.
Good choice on song! Anyone up for making a new poll with a short-list from this thread?

Think the whole mosaic idea is a bit out of our league though...

Anyone know what happend to that giant 'we're the one and only wanderers flag' from some of our old uefa cup games (e.g atletico madrid at home) would have loved to seen that at Wembley.