TKIZ's impossibly brilliant all new Transfer Rumours thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: TKIZ's impossibly brilliant all new Transfer Rumours thr

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:45 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote: Thats assuming Rodrigo would score 10+ a season, which he wouldnt to start with, and something we shouldnt rely on and im sure OC sees it that way too.
But our priorities surely have to be getting 2 players who will replace Elmander and Sturridge's goals last season?

So if we spend 3.5M on Rodrigo and he's not going to do that we'll still need to get the players who will......
I'm not sure football works like that. one player who happened to score 8 goals in a particular season leaves - so we have to replace him with another 8-goal player...

what we might do instead is bring in 3 players who score 3 or 4 each and a system/mix that encourages goals from all quarters..

the idea of relying on one or two individuals for the goals is (for someone as apparently risk-averse as you) a bit of a risk given the possibility of injury...

also - as the phrase goes - past results are not a guarantee of future performance. It would be by no means certain that all the dosh that you would have proposed spunking on Elmo would produce the same number of goals from him next season...Rodders is clearly not coyle's only target - let's see what the ultimate mix is before we suggest selling the family silver to have elmo back...
Indeed, but at least we knew he was capable.

And I take your point about sharing the goals out, but I still believe that unless we bring in considerably more goal threat up front than we carry right now, we'll be at the wrong end of the table. Just an opinion but how many teams have said "if we had a 20 goal a season striker then...." I believe we can't get near the price for a 20 goal a season man, certainly one who is established. So for me we need two around the level of Elmander and Sturridge. Unless of course Coyle changes plans, brings in a Kev Nolan type who'll get 12 or so from midfield and we go one up front. But that seems unlikely.

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:48 pm

From say January onwards I felt there was 2 main reasons behind Coyle choosing Elmander week in/week out, both of which are probably wrong :? .

The first I felt was to keep Elmander happy, show him that if he were to sign a new contract (out of interest does anyone know exactly when the club gave up on negotiations??) he wouldn't be forced to play off the bench and would be a key player for the team.

The second idea is that Coyle ,after seeing what Elmander was capable of at the beginning of the season albeit it in his preferred position and not as an attacking mid, believed it was only a matter of time before he found such form again and that an Elmander in form shown from September-December was a better option that a first season Spaniard.

Either option was a risk and at the time I believe Coyle thought Elmander was the safer, more experienced one. I'd personally love Rodgrio at the right price (both transfer fee and wage) and think he'd hit the ground running given 90 minutes each week.

A final moot point, if Elmander had kept up his early form and finished the season as one of the top scorers in the league does anyone think the club would have approved the increased wage demands?

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:50 pm

The bloke who sits next to me at work is a Villa season ticket holder and his cousin is the security gaurd at Villa's training ground. His cousin phoned him this morning to tell him that Danny Sturridge was wandering about the place... make of it what you will. My colleague has since placed £25 (the limit on that market) on with SkyBet at 10/1.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:35 pm

a bloke who sits next to you's cousin ....

mmmm. It's at times like this that SkyBet must regret putting limits on.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:38 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:A final moot point, if Elmander had kept up his early form and finished the season as one of the top scorers in the league does anyone think the club would have approved the increased wage demands?
Yes, if only to have a then 'proven' player on our books able to be moved on for a fee, rather than a Bosman.

However, IF he had then he still wouldn't have signed as by that point everyone & his mother would have been offering him great terms.

Once he decided not to sign around mid January then he was gone.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:42 pm

bobo the clown wrote:a bloke who sits next to you's cousin ....

What is your point? I also stated that you can make of it what you will. I am just as dubious as the next man.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:44 pm

enrdentw wrote:

What is your point? I also stated that you can make of it what you will. I am just as dubious as the next man.
My point ? ... maybe I was a tad cryptic for you ... is that tales of people who know people who saw something ...... almost always turn out to be bllx.

Saying "make of this what you will" does not excuse passing it on.

Re being as dubious as the next man ... well, that's clearly the guy you sit next to. THAT is what is known as a 'circular arguement'.

However, as Bish points out ... it IS 'transfer rumours' thread, so I withdraw.

I will consider now whether to mention that my mother's neighbour knows a guy who delivers milk to the house where John McGinley used to live and the woman who lives there now said that some guy called Bruno says we've already signed Sturridge anyway.

I've done considering it now & I've decided not to.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:55 pm

yeah bobo... but this IS the transer RUMOURS thread - it's primarily what it is for!!!

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:57 pm

i think we were hoping for a better quality of rumour this year ;)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:08 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:i think we were hoping for a better quality of rumour this year ;)
the 20-goal a season rumour?? 8)

mighty_whites
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mighty_whites » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Think we might be righting off the signing of Rodrigo a little bit too early, he's a young kid with alot of talent! Think he will do well for us next season if he's playing week in week out, also he's very flexible in where he can play, out left, up front, and attacking mid. All positions we have a lack of quality. I also think we have a really good chance of signing Sturridge, think the rumour of going to Villa is boll**ks, with Chelsea more than likely looking to sign at least 2 strikers his chances are going to be even less than previous season. I do believe that these two alone will get us plenty of goals, i reckon the same if not more than what sturridge and elmo got us last season. Also surely signing Rodrigo for 3.5mill is better than a striker for 8mill that took 2 years to start scoring did it for 4 months and then f**ked us off for a Turkish side i am thanking me lucky stars to be fair! Coyle is taking and looking at players which improve our football club not stagnate us, we are a stable prem team and now need to push on get back into europe and think that players from the ranks of Real Madrid and Barcelona who we are linked with is a step in the right direction!!! It aint backwards

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:44 pm

Despite Batty's proclamation, if Sturridge comes here it's a THS for me.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:Despite Batty's proclamation, if Sturridge comes here it's a THS for me.
Tiverton High School? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:50 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
enrdentw wrote:

My point ? ... maybe I was a tad cryptic for you ... is that tales of people who know people who saw something ...... almost always turn out to be bllx.

Re being as dubious as the next man ... well, that's clearly the guy you sit next to. THAT is what is known as a 'circular arguement'.

I will consider now whether to mention that my mother's neighbour knows a guy who delivers milk to the house where John McGinley used to live and the woman who lives there now said that some guy called Bruno says we've already signed Sturridge anyway.

Just like the time my mates Dad told me that Phil Brown would be the next PNE boss as he had been spotted eating at a restaurant near Preston twice following D.Ferguson's sacking. 20/1 at the time. That 'always turns out to be bllx' story earnt me £500. Fool me.

I actually hope Sturridge signs for Villa just to prove you wrong.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:51 pm

enrdentw wrote:
except it wouldn't prove him wrong...

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:54 pm

enrdentw wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
enrdentw wrote:

Just like the time my mates Dad told me that Phil Brown would be the next PNE boss as he had been spotted eating at a restaurant near Preston twice following D.Ferguson's sacking. 20/1 at the time. That 'always turns out to be bllx' story earnt me £500. Fool me.

Get a grip.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm

mighty_whites wrote:Think we might be righting off the signing of Rodrigo a little bit too early, he's a young kid with alot of talent! Think he will do well for us next season if he's playing week in week out, also he's very flexible in where he can play, out left, up front, and attacking mid. All positions we have a lack of quality. I also think we have a really good chance of signing Sturridge, think the rumour of going to Villa is boll**ks, with Chelsea more than likely looking to sign at least 2 strikers his chances are going to be even less than previous season. I do believe that these two alone will get us plenty of goals, i reckon the same if not more than what sturridge and elmo got us last season. Also surely signing Rodrigo for 3.5mill is better than a striker for 8mill that took 2 years to start scoring did it for 4 months and then f**ked us off for a Turkish side i am thanking me lucky stars to be fair! Coyle is taking and looking at players which improve our football club not stagnate us, we are a stable prem team and now need to push on get back into europe and think that players from the ranks of Real Madrid and Barcelona who we are linked with is a step in the right direction!!! It aint backwards
I wonder how many "wunderkids" have left the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona for clubs like ourselves over the past 20 years and dissapeared into obscurity.

Posts like this always make me think Olaf Snorrasson!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Posts like this always make me think Olaf Snorrasson!

bless you! 8)

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:01 pm

The first rule of Olaf Snorrasson is that you do not talk about Olaf Snorrasson :)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:32 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:The first rule of Olaf Snorrasson is that you do not talk about Olaf Snorrasson :)
I thought that was Dung Thatch.