The Loneliness of the Long Distance Fan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

keveh
Icon
Icon

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Fan

Post by keveh » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:12 am

New article up on the front page to keep you busy until the football season starts:

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/th ... stance-fan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What would you do?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: The Loneliness of the Long Distance Fan

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:25 am

Great article and raises some interesting points. Couldn't help but see you referred to your future offspring as 'him' though. I'd hope you'd take a daughter to the football too ;)

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:31 am

My young'un has Bolton stuff coming out of her ears at the moment, babygro outfits, soft toys, car stickers, home kit etc but her mother and fam are Liverpool supporters on account of being related to an ex-player, so I have my work cut out making sure she stays on the right side of the tracks.

For me it wasn't so easy, Dad is a Salford lad and United ST holder, Mum is a Farnworth girl and from a BWFC-mad family - I was taken on rotation to Old Trafford and Burnden as a kid, until I was asked to choose when I was about seven. Have to say I've never regretted my choice :lol:

LiOC
Reliable
Reliable

Post by LiOC » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:41 am

Nice article. Interesting thoughts. I can sympathize with this. My dads from wigan and he is warriors through and through and never saw the appeal of football. Being young lads in bolton me and my brother were much more keen on football like the rest of our generation. My dad took us to rugby matches but wanting to pass on the bond he and his dad shared at the rugby as a boy took us to the football too. I'm not much of a rugby fan now but going to see any match with my old man was special and gave me my passion for Bolton. To my dad it was more the experience of passing it on than where you do it.
If I have a kid I think I'd want him to know what Bolton means to me but I'd take him to whatevers local for the same reasons my dad did.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:46 am

Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear.

A good read, but very worrying.

First - you have to blame the parents - if they hadn't moved so far away from the Reebok, they wouldn't have this dilemma in the first place. As for having sprogs anywhere else but Lancashire - inconceivable. My missus was put under virtual house arrest from about 4 months in. No travelling outside of the Lancashire borders. Could you possibly imagine having your waters break in Yorkshire? Feck me, I'd have had to bury the buggers under the patio for fear of the shame.

But then we get to Crystal fecking Palace? I'd rather take said sprog to watch Sunday League football (on the grounds he's hardly likely to support "The Kings Arms" for the rest of his waking days - although may spend a fair amount of time in the Kings Arms). Sorted.

There's always egg-chucking (either code), fishing, the pictures, knitting and crochet, supermarket shopping, poking your eyeballs with a pointed stick. Many things you can do on a Saturday that don't involve watching some other buggers (that said offspring might end up supporting) play football.

Jaysus Wept.

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:19 am

Ahhh good. some debate.

GoonerGirl - fair point. Having pointed out that football was changing from male dominated in the first paragraph, I then contradicted myself nicely later on. Rest assured any daughter of mine will be treated no differently as regards the whites!

Worthy; I see your points (some serious and some not!), but my article was a question - albeit a long one - because it's a genuine conundrum I may face. Unfortunately, I left the NW for work, because that's where the work was. Unfortunate but true.

And I take your point about Crystal 'fecking' Palace (I though about lying to make it a less offensive team!), but that's where I am. And, all things being equal, where my kid would be schooled.

For what it's worth, I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance of any child o' mine supporting anyone but Bolton, such are the lengths I go to to support them, but it is possible - if I bring him or her up outside the boundaries of Lancashire, then there's a chance they will be proud o whatever town they grow up in. Just as I am proud to be from Bolton.
Last edited by Lennon'sEleven on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:25 am

Long distance? My brother was born in Canada unlike myself, and while he might know the names of Liverpool and Manchester United, I can pretty much guarantee he doesn't even have a clue of the existance of the Bolton Wanderers never mind supporting the club. The existence part might change now that I'm moving back to Canada next month at least for a time. Doubt he will ever be converted to a football, oops I mean soccer fan though.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:47 am

The twins are junior gunners and rocking their Arsenal kits already. I realise i can't FORCE them to support the gooners but i'm hoping being kicked out of home if they try and support anyone but should keep them on the straight and narrow...

(they do however have a Bolton cutlery set each... :oops: :shock: Cheers Bish, i don't think... )

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:57 am

My daughter was born in Central London within hearing distance of the Bells of St Mary le Bow which makes her a 'Cockney'.

My wife and I and all my family are from Bolton.

My daughter supports Bolton.

Fin

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:59 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:My daughter was born in Central London within hearing distance of the Bells of St Mary le Bow which makes her a 'Cockney'.

My wife and I and all my family are from Bolton.

My daughter supports Bolton.

Fin
She should be a gooner really... ;)

midnitefooty
Promising
Promising

Post by midnitefooty » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:25 am

Good article.

I'm not one to mix religion with football but I think it's oddly appropriate in this case.
Let's say I grew up in a region that was of one faith and I am a devote follower. To me, it is THE truth, THE life, and THE way as Owen11 put it. Then, I end up moving to a region that is mainly of another faith with other faiths in close proximity.
Now, as a devoted follower of the faith in which I believe to be the ONLY way, would it be right for me to let my children follow whatever faith is practiced nearby?

If football is as important as religion to you, then raise your kids Bolton. If not, let them go worship whatever devil team they wish and suffer for eternity.

All said tongue in cheek of course.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:34 am

Family are City fans, the wife is a Man Utd. fan , my daughter will be a Bolton fan and i dont care if i have to have fist fights with everyone along the way :D

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:41 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Family are City fans, the wife is a Man Utd. fan , my daughter will be a Bolton fan and i dont care if i have to have fist fights with everyone along the way :D
My sis's husband and all his family are staunch Reds, my nephews will not
Pfffft.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:32 am

If you fail don't bother coming back here, ok?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:09 pm

seanworth wrote:Long distance? My brother was born in Canada unlike myself, and while he might know the names of Liverpool and Manchester United, I can pretty much guarantee he doesn't even have a clue of the existance of the Bolton Wanderers never mind supporting the club. The existence part might change now that I'm moving back to Canada next month at least for a time. Doubt he will ever be converted to a football, oops I mean soccer fan though.

Before I forget.. Apologies for not getting the chance to meet up for a beer. We were only on Sukhumvit Road one night and we didn't take the phone out. Tried looking for your place, but ended up in some German style bar with a Prostitute to punter ratio of 55:1.

It was ace!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Big_Sharps
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Big_Sharps » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:54 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Family are City fans, the wife is a Man Utd. fan , my daughter will be a Bolton fan and i dont care if i have to have fist fights with everyone along the way :D
Domestic violence is always the option.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:02 pm

boltonboris wrote:
seanworth wrote:Long distance? My brother was born in Canada unlike myself, and while he might know the names of Liverpool and Manchester United, I can pretty much guarantee he doesn't even have a clue of the existance of the Bolton Wanderers never mind supporting the club. The existence part might change now that I'm moving back to Canada next month at least for a time. Doubt he will ever be converted to a football, oops I mean soccer fan though.

Before I forget.. Apologies for not getting the chance to meet up for a beer. We were only on Sukhumvit Road one night and we didn't take the phone out. Tried looking for your place, but ended up in some German style bar with a Prostitute to punter ratio of 55:1.

It was ace!
No problem. I would take it you were in the sleazy part of Sukhumit. I am located around 5km from there so you would have had no chance of finding my place. Hope it was a good holiday.

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:18 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:My young'un has Bolton stuff coming out of her ears at the moment, babygro outfits, soft toys, car stickers, home kit etc but her mother and fam are Liverpool supporters on account of being related to an ex-player, so I have my work cut out making sure she stays on the right side of the tracks.

For me it wasn't so easy, Dad is a Salford lad and United ST holder, Mum is a Farnworth girl and from a BWFC-mad family - I was taken on rotation to Old Trafford and Burnden as a kid, until I was asked to choose when I was about seven. Have to say I've never regretted my choice :lol:
Is this some sort of sick joke. Just wait till my Grace find's out :|
"Im a big fish in a small pond"... "Your not a big fish! Your not even a fish!"

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:31 pm

:scared:

Big_Sharps
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Big_Sharps » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:55 pm

You should have told your Munich dad to fúck off then follow it up by singing Munich air disaster songs.