The Loneliness of the Long Distance Fan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Re: The Loneliness of the Long Distance Fan

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:55 pm

You really are a prick

Big_Sharps
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Big_Sharps » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:You really are a prick
Cheers fella.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Big_Sharps wrote:You should have told your Munich dad to fúck off then follow it up by singing Munich air disaster songs.
A warning, surely?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:01 pm

Just follow the tosser around, he's a disgrace

Big_Sharps
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Big_Sharps » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:02 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
Big_Sharps wrote:You should have told your Munich dad to fúck off then follow it up by singing Munich air disaster songs.
A warning, surely?
Suppose he could have warned him.

thevza
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by thevza » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:40 pm

It might be tough to convince any future offspring of mine to follow Bolton.

"Why daddy? You've never even been to Bolton and the only match you've gone to was a 5-0 loss"
"Because I said so"

On a serious note though, does it actually bother fathers if their kids don't support the same team in the even that they aren't living in the teams regional area?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:42 pm

Yes

Big_Sharps
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Big_Sharps » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:43 pm

thevza wrote:It might be tough to convince any future offspring of mine to follow Bolton.

"Why daddy? You've never even been to Bolton and the only match you've gone to was a 5-0 loss"
"Because I said so"

On a serious note though, does it actually bother fathers if their kids don't support the same team in the even that they aren't living in the teams regional area?
Even if your dad was a United fan, you should recognise you live in Bolton and not get dragged to Old Trafford, it is a case of manning up really.

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:32 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote::scared:
You will be!! Infidel 8)
"Im a big fish in a small pond"... "Your not a big fish! Your not even a fish!"

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Wouldn't

I've got that t-shirt :shock:

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Aaaah Pedro. Her ex :Jedi:
"Im a big fish in a small pond"... "Your not a big fish! Your not even a fish!"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Good stuff OE. Good read and an interesting if alarming topic.

Plasticitis Manunitedus and Liveritis Jumpaturnstylus are diseases that are highly contagious. Kids in our junior school were infected and the only cure was a dose of slapped-arsius administered by any decent Bolton born parent. I can't even visualise supporting anyone but Bolton and if the club ever packed up I'd give up watching the game. My dad was Irish but he and my uncle introduced me to my first Bolton game. My brother got a minor dose of Trafforditis early on, but fortunately made a full recovery and has been a confirmed White ever since. I rarely discuss football with my kids due to them having the afore-mentioned Plasticitis although rarely attending anything other the Sports Report.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:08 pm

I actually have virtually no recollections of Bolton, and only knew of my being born there during a summer holiday back in the early 70's. My father was a Bolton supporter but really lost interest in football after being introduced to ice hockey upon moving to Canada. As a result it was my Grandfather from my mom's side that introduced me to football and he was a Man U supporter. Out of respect to my grandfather I never became a Man U hater until after his passing and my moving to Asia. Hated Liverpool though since the 70's.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Good article.

I have a 7 year old Grandson who lives in Gatley south Manchester and goes to school with United and City fans but is still a strong Bolton fan just like his dad and Grandad. He's been to the Reebok on a few occassions and will be going again when I come to the UK in December. I have another grandson (3yr old) who lives in Sweden and he prefers his Bolton kit to his Swedish kit, much to the regret of his Swedish father. He's not been to the Reebok yet.

My car has the only 4x4 rear wheel cover in the Sothern Hemisphere and possibly in the World, as my daughter had to get special written permission from the Club to get it specially made with the Club's logo here in Australia for my birthday. Also my car number plate 1BWFC is also unique in Australia, and together its the only way that I can display my passion in a meaningfull way.

I miss watching the team live but in Decemebr I hope to get in aquite a few games, home and away when I make my first trip to the UK for many years. Other than that live TV matches are as good as it gets.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:30 pm

FaninOz wrote:Good article.

I have a 7 year old Grandson who lives in Gatley south Manchester and goes to school with United and City fans but is still a strong Bolton fan just like his dad and Grandad. He's been to the Reebok on a few occassions and will be going again when I come to the UK in December. I have another grandson (3yr old) who lives in Sweden and he prefers his Bolton kit to his Swedish kit, much to the regret of his Swedish father. He's not been to the Reebok yet.

My car has the only 4x4 rear wheel cover in the Sothern Hemisphere and possibly in the World, as my daughter had to get special written permission from the Club to get it specially made with the Club's logo here in Australia for my birthday. Also my car number plate 1BWFC is also unique in Australia, and together its the only way that I can display my passion in a meaningfull way.

I miss watching the team live but in Decemebr I hope to get in aquite a few games, home and away when I make my first trip to the UK for many years. Other than that live TV matches are as good as it gets.
Weather will be great then. No need for warm clothing - T shirts and shorts will be fine. :wink:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Nice article.

I've been down near thatlondon for nearly 15 years now, and in 2001, due to an administrative error, my daughters were born in Basildon. Hmm. They've been brought up on the other side of the big conurbation but they've shown no affiliation to local favourites Chelsea, Fulham or the rags. Neither is a huge football fan – I haven't forced them into following me into any of my favourite things, figuring honest interest better than forced due-paying - but they have learned that their father loves Bolton Wanderers, and take a keen interest when the match is on the tellybox. One regularly wears an old (but lovingly handed down) BWFC kit. The other's called Nat.

Randy Watson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Randy Watson » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Good Read.

In my case I am born and bred in Bury, with a Mother who (in her youth) was an avid Man U fan and a Dad who is from Bolton but, as far as I am aware, never really had a strong affiliation with BWFC or football really, but claims to be a Bolton fan going to the odd match and what not.

My parents where not overly arsed who I supported as a kid and I kind of just followed the word on the playground of who I supported. Most of the kids in school where either City or Man U. No one supported the local team, Bury (but who would admit it).

It was in fact my older brother, who put my head straight and started to take me to the footy so I became a Wanderer with my bro.

I am not sure of the story of why he decided on being Bolton, suppose he just latched onto to my Dads "ties" with the club. It’s weird the passion we have for the game which our parents don’t really have..... Either way at least I'm not red eh!
Give a hand to my band… Sexual Chocolate

They play so fine don't you agree!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Great article and raises some interesting points. Couldn't help but see you referred to your future offspring as 'him' though. I'd hope you'd take a daughter to the football too ;)
Some of the best times in my Wanderers following career were with father and daughter, all over the country, and at Burnden. Three generations of us, brought together by our club, and loving each other's company. Brilliant. Done plenty of games with my sons as well - but neither got it like the middle daughter did... :D

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:42 pm

Really good article, OE.

I have a friend, living in Bromley Cross, who is, as it happens, a serious supporter of Fulham.

He has a teenage daughter. For years my friend took her to Fulham away games in the North West.

She went through a phase when she wanted to support Bolton, her local team, from her town, that her mates supported. He was devastated.

She's out of it now.

She's 16 and not interested in football. So will fit in at Fulham.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Where were you sat at Wembley William?

Only, as I recall (and I'm desperately trying not to) we sat next to a chap, with his Wanderers supporting "mates" who, I think, was a Fulham fan. May have been Charlton though. Which was quite funny, as he was sat next to my City supporting mate. They all repress it, but deep down, they know who they'd really like to support....
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.