Bolton v Blue Moonies

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Bolton v Blue Moonies

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:27 pm

did no one else think Eagles was our best player today?
city looked much more comfortable when he went off
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Not here. Thought he struggled to get into the game for lots of it. Not saying he was bad or 'owt, just a long way from being one of our better performers.

t_o_molloy
Promising
Promising

Post by t_o_molloy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:35 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:did no one else think Eagles was our best player today?
city looked much more comfortable when he went off
I thought him, Petrov and Cahill were the top 3.
But I honestly think he shaded it once he settled.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:39 pm

Two games played and our super strikers already have two goals each and the team have six. No, Barcelona, they're not for sale. Hands off. :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:39 pm

We were playing the team that might well win this league and were not outclassed.

We competed at every element of the game and in every area of the pitch.

We should have had a point.

Kevin Davies was our MotM in my opinion. But run close by Cahill, and we should do everything in our power to keep this player.

The defence works (as long as Cahill's there) - apart from Steinsson. Criticism of Knight is simply misplaced on today's showing... not great for the third goal, pretty sound and always working hard for the rest...

The midfield does not work - though no one performed catastrophically - Eagles tired, Muamba was inspired and insipid in turn, Petrov provided two brill assists, for which his ineffectuality the rest of the game is forgiven, R-C was great at breaking it up and could not place a pass over five yards to save his life... Mark Davies not changing things today, but might be worth considering... A player named Stuart would be welcome... Soon...

SKD magnificent until the last 15, when he looked shot, and if Klasnic hits a goal a game he'll have 38 goals and we'll have no excuse to grumble at the fact he don't do much else worthwhile...

I'm pretty pleased with our boys today...

I note the return of Peter Thompson to the site, grinding away like the dentist's drill, and wonder at his choice of that name - a winger of such skill and joy that the Burnden Paddock felt uplifted and privileged to witness week after week...

And I read his posts and wonder why he bothers - after all, his doctor might prescribe him anti-depressants and his life could change for the better... And he could be happy and stop posting, and, obviously, we would miss him...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Still a bit concerned on our insistence at looking to play offside for every free kick near the box. Man on each post and neither Silva or Barry would have scored today. Old fashioned thinking, maybe, but we left large holes a few times. Also baffled as to why Steinsson keeps getting sucked inwards every time the play's on the opposite wing. The number of times we leave a massive gap out wide is a bit frightening. Maybe he's told to play that way but it's happened too often for comfort.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:39 am

I agree re. Eagles. Very good performance, even if he did tire later on. I think he was entitled to tbh as he covered the full backs throughout. Well done to him.

One thing I noticed in the Shameless team was that when we had a corner they left three, yep THREE players up. Of course we had to leave 4 back and so the box thinned out. Had we done that, even with one maybe, then the Citeh second may not have come off.

That all said they are a very powerful outfit and will outdo many other teams this season.

ps - told you Ali was a better bet than Jussi now !
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

midnitefooty
Promising
Promising

Post by midnitefooty » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:07 am

Not bad at all and if it weren't for a Jussi shocker, that scoreline might have been different.
'Course I've only seen highlights so I can't say for sure but it looked like we're playing better. Can't wait to see what the full strength squad could do.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:10 am

For me Petrov was much better than Eagles who was out of the game for long periods. Eagles looked good when he had it, but that was too infrequent. Has to get involved more.

Outstanding performances by Petrov, SKD and Cahill. Brilliant goal by Klasnic who is getting more involved in the game but has to learn how to keep possesion of the ball outside of the area. He lost it too many times when we were getting into good attacking positions. SKD need to teach him how to keep it under pressure with his back to goal to allow other players to get into good positions for him to pass to.

The problem we have in central midfield is that we do not have any runners to get balls played in behind the defense except for Petrov. As a result, Moo and NRC were always closed down for space by City's midfield and defenders as they looked for options upfield. If we had a SWP or Ngog breaking at speed, just like Sturidge did last season, then the oposition would have to play deeper to protect against the run. Get them in along with Holden's return in October, and we would be a threat to every team in the league and a real challenger for a top 6.

PS..Zat Knight made a mistake in that he tried for the ball instead of covering, and since Dzeco already had the run on him for the ball, we paid dearly for it. Otherwise, I thought he had a good game and made some important tackles.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:59 am

i am very satisfied with last nights performance. If holden had been fit and we had another striker on the bench we would have had a good chance to get something out of the match. i am starting to feel very positive about our prospects this season. A good effort was made by all on the pitch and petrov so far looks a changed man.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:06 am

I thought that Eagles was pretty non-existent for the first half, then decided to get himself in to the action and went looking for the ball in the second and did well.

But by 80 minutes all of his hard work meant he was buggered.

aussie_wanderer
Promising
Promising

Post by aussie_wanderer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:16 am

was listening to the game on bbc they say hes lacking confidence to shoot, but i guess that will come in time

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:09 am

Eagles wasn't the best player as such, but we were much better balanced with him on the field. So it's no wonder we're looking for another winger. When he was withdrawn the obvious out-ball down the right disappeared and Pratley frankly just chased about like an 11-year old playing Sunday league.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:49 am

Jussi - I don't blame him for the goal, I blame the defenders/midfielders who allowed Silva room to shoot from the edge of the box

Steinsson - not as bad as usual
Robinson - poor
Knight - dreadful, cost us the 3rd and let the slow Dzeko dominate him
Cahill - majestic
Coker - I like him
Muamba - poor
Eagles - shocking 1st half, much better 2nd
Petrov - never any doubt :pray:
Klasnic - superb for an hour
Davies - usual mix of the excellent and the not-so-excellent

Summary

M Davies to replace Muamba

Played well, enjoyed it - they're such a bunch of tall and strong bastards that our game struggled at times, but we did well and I am encouraged.

Addendum

I hate that referee and his stupid high pitched voice. F uck off you cock.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:58 am

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Jussi - I don't blame him for the goal, I blame the defenders/midfielders who allowed Silva room to shoot from the edge of the box

Robinson - poor
Cahill - majestic
Coker - I like him
Muamba - poor

Summary

Played well, enjoyed it - they're such a bunch of tall and strong bastards that our game struggled at times, but we did well and I am encouraged.

Addendum

Pretty much agree with most of that. Harsh on Muamba I feel, he and NRC were on a bit of a hiding to nothing yesterday.

Petrov was the reverse of Eagles, good first half, awful second. Eagles should have stayed on IMO though he was tired.

Highights need for another winger. And a striker cos KD and Klas were done for after 70 mins! NGog and a winger would make a huge difference. We'd have options then off the bench.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:27 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lofthouse Lower wrote:Jussi - I don't blame him for the goal, I blame the defenders/midfielders who allowed Silva room to shoot from the edge of the box

Robinson - poor
Cahill - majestic
Coker - I like him
Muamba - poor

Summary

Addendum

Pretty much agree with most of that. Harsh on Muamba I feel, he and NRC were on a bit of a hiding to nothing yesterday.

Petrov was the reverse of Eagles, good first half, awful second. Eagles should have stayed on IMO though he was tired.

Highights need for another winger. And a striker cos KD and Klas were done for after 70 mins! NGog and a winger would make a huge difference. We'd have options then off the bench.
Remember we still have Tuncay to add into that mix. You know, we have the makings of an half-decent side atm.

Yesterday was frustrating, if understandable. If we're honest City could have had six but the fact that it was only the more preventable ones which went in...for a variety of different reasons...makes it a bit hard to take.

Both our goals were excellent finishes, and courtesy of two superb deliveries by Petrov. The midfield did ok but to be honest were given an unenviable task.

It's going to be a tough August and September but I wouldn't bank against us getting nine points, possibly. Anything like that would be an excellent return, provided we can push on until Christmas.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:34 am

Verbal wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Robinson - poor
Cahill - majestic
Coker - I like him
Muamba - poor

Summary

Addendum

Remember we still have Tuncay to add into that mix. You know, we have the makings of an half-decent side atm.

Yesterday was frustrating, if understandable. If we're honest City could have had six but the fact that it was only the more preventable ones which went in...for a variety of different reasons...makes it a bit hard to take.

Both our goals were excellent finishes, and courtesy of two superb deliveries by Petrov. The midfield did ok but to be honest were given an unenviable task.

It's going to be a tough August and September but I wouldn't bank against us getting nine points, possibly. Anything like that would be an excellent return, provided we can push on until Christmas.
I agree, but we still need a wide man and another striker even with Tuncay in the mix. Can't be running with kids on the bench and we need a few attacking options to be able to change things. Davies and Klasnic won't last a whole season playing as they are and it was evident that when Eagles tired and we brought Pratley on that we lost all attacking shape, because we didn't have a winger to replace him with.

The squad is still light in general.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:18 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Jacks' new goalkeeper Michel Vorm
Absolutely superb against Wigan on Saturday, too.

How much did Beetroot spunk on that Spik? :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:20 pm

Feel it hard to criticise anyone esp with the opposition and the players they have at their disposal, as for moaning about Zat's mistake what about some of his blocks etc they made up for it. Eagles seems to need a pick up and started to look really good once he got into it, even the player I hate (Petrov) at times was excellent and looked a different player.

As for the ref.........was it open season on Davies, if our defenders pushed and pulled their forwards like that would we get the same decisions? As for Robbo's tackle on some diving nice person, Robbo must have been moving so fast the sonic boom that followed him must have really hurt,
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:21 pm

I thought Robbo played well!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"