Official Gary Cahill transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abs
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Official Gary Cahill transfer thread

Post by Abs » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:32 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
ferrarif50hunt wrote: Nothing to do with a sense of entitlement, it's just how the situation is. Why would we, or anyone else apart from Man City, pay £15m+ for a guy who has 1 year left on his contract and will leave for free if he isn't sold? There isn't even any other teams in for him to create a bidding war, it's just us. It's a real sh*tty situation and I know exactly how you feel, but the fact is you have no choice but to sell him for as much as you can... and if £10m is the most we're willing to offer, then it'll have to do.
A rather arrogant assumption and wrong on both counts. If Bolton don't get the asking price, or near enough, there's no way we'll sell one of our top players just because teams like you decide we must. Come back when the window closes and see. Wenger has just bid (apparently) six mil. You're all losing the plot. The shitty end of the stick is pointing due south.
That big club, is that the one we beat 2-1 not long back?
You are a fan and cant think without being blinded by your emotions. Luckily the people who runs football clubs are business men who wont make decision like this based on emotions. Its simple business……football players are assets to the business. You either lose this asset for free or you make some money while you can. The decision is simple……truth is no one wanted cahill. Man city went for savic, Liverpool went for coates and man u went for jones. Arsenal, Liverpool and Man u all made bids for Jones straight away, that tells you they rate Jones more than Cahill. Arsenal don’t need cahill more than a backup player……so they wont spend big on him, don’t let the media fool you, he aint that good

JackWilshere19
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by JackWilshere19 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:34 am

LiOC wrote:I love how arsenal fans actually think that we have no choice. He's our player and we're not so desperate for the cash to accept a measly million pound profit on a player who has improved immeasurably in his time here.
If he leaves on a free next year that's fine with me. Why not make a profit on him with this bid rather than gain points and prize money with him? Cahill could be the difference between a relegation battle or a race for a Europa league spot. That's worth more than £6m to us!
That is true however Arsene Wenger will surely be back with another bid around the £10m mark and I reckon Bolton will just accept. It's better if everything is settled now than on the last day as no team would like to sell a top player without reinvesting the money into their squad.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:34 am

Arsenal are that senile old gran who gives you a 50p coin sellotaped to a letter from the doctor's with 'Hapy 21st scribbled over in Argos Biro and a serious note to 'not spend it all on once, put it in the bank. It's towards the mortgage'.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LiOC
Reliable
Reliable

Post by LiOC » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:40 am

You are a fan and cant think without being blinded by your emotions. Luckily the people who runs football clubs are business men who wont make decision like this based on emotions. Its simple business……football players are assets to the business. You either lose this asset for free or you make some money while you can. The decision is simple……truth is no one wanted cahill. Man city went for savic, Liverpool went for coates and man u went for jones. Arsenal, Liverpool and Man u all made bids for Jones straight away, that tells you they rate Jones more than Cahill. Arsenal don’t need cahill more than a backup player……so they wont spend big on him, don’t let the media fool you, he aint that good
Seen as were the ones who see him play week in week out we'll judge his ability thank you very much.

The simple business decision here is will Cahill earn us more than £6m through prize money and final positioning? If we think yes then there is no point selling him. Our fee is what he is worth TO US not to everyone else. Itd be like selling your business for £6m when itll make you more money to keep hold of it. It may then be a better business decision to hold out and let him leave for free. Maybe we think he'll sign a new contract.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:49 am

Abs wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote: don’t let the media fool you, he aint that good
You're hilarious. The media need to tell Bolton fans how good or bad their players are? Even worse, Arsenal fans stating that as a fact is even more ludicrous. Thanks for your interest and goodnight.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:52 am

Can't help thinking that Wenger has shot himself in the water bottle here.

Were BWFC to announce they were considering his bid there would be bigger and better clubs heading to the fax machine.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

JackWilshere19
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by JackWilshere19 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:03 am

Wandering Willy wrote:Can't help thinking that Wenger has shot himself in the water bottle here.

Were BWFC to announce they were considering his bid there would be bigger and better clubs heading to the fax machine.
Can't think of any "bigger and better clubs" who are in need of a CB like G.Cahill. Very unlikely that he will move abroad too.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:07 am

JackWilshere19 wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:Can't help thinking that Wenger has shot himself in the water bottle here.

Can't think of any "bigger and better clubs" who are in need of a CB like G.Cahill. Very unlikely that he will move abroad too.

i think Swansea are in need of a decent CB
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

LiOC
Reliable
Reliable

Post by LiOC » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:14 am

JackWilshere19 wrote:

At that price Spurs and Liverpool would be VERY interested just to name two.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:19 am

JackWilshere19 wrote:

also i think you lot can't cut it with the big boys (Man city,Utd, Chelsea,Liverpool,SPURS,) anymore you got to come and pick on little old bolton just to make yourself feel big

:lol:
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:20 am

I don't think we need £6m enough to sell at that price, he'll give us far more over the course of the season.

If they up it to £10m I'd imagine we'll do business though.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:24 am

Abs wrote:You are a fan and cant think without being blinded by your emotions. Luckily the people who runs football clubs are business men who wont make decision like this based on emotions. Its simple business……football players are assets to the business. You either lose this asset for free or you make some money while you can. The decision is simple……truth is no one wanted cahill. Man city went for savic, Liverpool went for coates and man u went for jones. Arsenal, Liverpool and Man u all made bids for Jones straight away, that tells you they rate Jones more than Cahill. Arsenal don’t need cahill more than a backup player……so they wont spend big on him, don’t let the media fool you, he aint that good
Have been quiet on her for a while, but can't ignore that statement. Why would Cahill go to a team as a backup player when we can play first choice at Bolton or many other clubs in the Premiership?? It wouldn't do his England chances any good at all sitting on the bench at Arsenal and he will remember that Ben Haim did just that at Chelsea and look what happened to him.

I'm also sure that Cahill will also believes that $6 mil is a derisory bid and if I was him I wouldn't go to Arsenal at any cost now. I would wait until January and then make my own choice of one of the really top teams to go to as Arsenal wont be one of them. Mr Wenger has shot his whole foot off in my humble opinion.

I will now go back into obscurity.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:12 am

As has been said this bid implies Wenger has finally gone nuts or is just trying to make a late bid to add comedian to his personality profile. However more realistically,as a misers opening bid for a player Bolton would most likely accept 12 mil for but have been asking 17mil for it is the perfect opening gambit whereby should the 12mil price later be settled on all parties come out with a face savingly reasonable deal.As such the 6 mil could be bullshit for the fans while the 12mil deal ids being finalised.
Cahill is half of the perfect Arsenal centre half pairing but they still need a John Terry/Tony Adams type aswell. You can only laugh at the arrogance and deluded nature of some of the arse bellends earlier telling us Arsenal dont really need a CB and Cahill would be back up.
It's the ponsing spineless spine of the arsenal team that has caused them to fail over the last decade.You're a team of pretty details with no backbone. Put a spine of 3 less pretty but more effective players thru the centre of the arsenal team and they will be contenders.Whether Arsole has the balls to employ people with balls or not remains to be seen. If he maintains his very french love of the pretty boys then I'm afraid this may well be his last season and he will return to being the old wooden bookend he always was.

Abs
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Abs » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:23 am

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:As has been said this bid implies Wenger has finally gone nuts or is just trying to make a late bid to add comedian to his personality profile. However more realistically,as a misers opening bid for a player Bolton would most likely accept 12 mil for but have been asking 17mil for it is the perfect opening gambit whereby should the 12mil price later be settled on all parties come out with a face savingly reasonable deal.As such the 6 mil could be bullshit for the fans while the 12mil deal ids being finalised.
Cahill is half of the perfect Arsenal centre half pairing but they still need a John Terry/Tony Adams type aswell. You can only laugh at the arrogance and deluded nature of some of the arse bellends earlier telling us Arsenal dont really need a CB and Cahill would be back up.
It's the ponsing spineless spine of the arsenal team that has caused them to fail over the last decade.You're a team of pretty details with no backbone. Put a spine of 3 less pretty but more effective players thru the centre of the arsenal team and they will be contenders.Whether Arsole has the balls to employ people with balls or not remains to be seen. If he maintains his very french love of the pretty boys then I'm afraid this may well be his last season and he will return to being the old wooden bookend he always was.
Maybe he just doesnt rate him that much. Tell me one team that have actually made a bid for Cahill?

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:35 am

Arsenal apparently! He is worth around 12 million in the context of his contract and with the right type of defensive partner will be an exceptional footballing centre half potentially better than Ferdinand has been at Manure.
If Wenger doesnt rate him he wouldnt be sniffing. This has more to do with Wengers paranoia about being fleeced and overpaying. He's sitting on a wedge he has to spend it or at least a decent amount of it or the arsenal fans will be burning their season tickets having lost nasri and fabregas.But he just hates the idea that people might hold out for a little more because they know he's loaded and equally he hates the idea of buying players who are close to being the finished article as he can't give them that little magic touch of arsene that makes them into near worldbeaters without the balls to win

ManiaTolrol
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ManiaTolrol » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:54 am

Just signed up to laugh at Abs. Wenger rates him especially if he's made a bid but Bolton have stood firm on their valuation, many clubs know he only has 1 year left on his contract so a bidding war would not be ideal. Every club has assessed the areas they need to spend most aswell as finding value for money with FFP rules being introduced.
I'm not sure how much truth there is the supposed £6m bid especially with the clubs relations with the media this summer but he he will need to pay what is needed if he wants to sign players before the window closes.

DanAust
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by DanAust » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:53 am

Coyle: He’s got a £17 million buyout clause…
Wenger: But he’s in the last 12months of his contract… £6 million
16…7
15…8
Coyle: £12million is as low as we’ll go…
Wenger: 11 and we'll loan you a youngster?
Coyle: Hmmm, pass. 12 million
Wenger: Done

Im an Arsenal fan, god i wish Wenger would save us all the song and dance, make a real offer and get it done.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:02 am

End of the day, if Gary leaves for free, we've had great value for 3 years, but it won't help us replace him. At a stage now where there will be a fee in mind which means we would consider selling, and it may well end up like you say around £10-£12m.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:14 am

I think a lot of these Arsenal fans don't know Owen Coyle very well. He will have a figure in mind whether that is 17 or 15 or whatever. Owen Coyle will not sell for less, even if it risks him going on a free. Coyle will back himself into talking him into a new deal. He is single minded and determined, and will not be bullied.

Say what you like, but the window closes on Wednesday so we can all see then. Personally I suspect nothing will happen till Wenger gets above 12m probably around the 14m mark I suspect then there might be some discussions.

Mind as Wenger has already told us this summer Arsenal can no longer be considered a big club, so perhaps they will adopt a small club mentality and go with what they've got!

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:16 am

Why would Gary want to go to Arsenal, anyway? They are the current laughing stock of football.