Bolton vs Chelsea

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Bolton vs Chelsea

Post by Gail Platz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:47 pm

Porrohman wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Really? I think Pratley is getting better, and I like his work rate.
I remember watching him at Swansea last season thinking how piss poor he was, and then when we were linked with him I couldn't believe it. He's a Matty Taylor but in the centre of the park, but even slower, with a worse first touch and no left foot.
It's marvellous what they can do now a one legged footballer!
I'd rather stick a one legged footballer than him. In fact, a traffic cone would have more of an impact. Just stick it on the edge of the D and it would get in the way of Lampard's shots. We'd probably have cut a couple of goals out that way.

MorphOS2.6
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by MorphOS2.6 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:49 pm

I thought pratley had a decent game today along with ngog it will be interesting to see how a partnership with ngog and pratley develops.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Aye, but Lee and Megson never managed a goal at the Bok against Chelsea. Neither did Allardyce for the last 5 years. We have the worst run of results against Chelsea of any match up of teams in the Premier League. Before today. Its not like we've been covering ourselves in glory against them previously.

And its not like piss poor performances at Wigan when in desperate need of a result have ever lead to a manager being shown the door here either.
Being bottom of the league though with a PPG of less than 0.5 has though. And we are in that kind of territory. We are so bad it's beyond a joke. Can't see Eddie Davies letting this run of defeats go on much longer can you?
Having witnessed the debacle of Megson, I would say yes, til about christmas.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:51 pm

Gail Platz wrote:
Porrohman wrote:
Gail Platz wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Really? I think Pratley is getting better, and I like his work rate.
I remember watching him at Swansea last season thinking how piss poor he was, and then when we were linked with him I couldn't believe it. He's a Matty Taylor but in the centre of the park, but even slower, with a worse first touch and no left foot.
It's marvellous what they can do now a one legged footballer!
I'd rather stick a one legged footballer than him. In fact, a traffic cone would have more of an impact. Just stick it on the edge of the D and it would get in the way of Lampard's shots. We'd probably have cut a couple of goals out that way.

i think its a little bit early to judge the new players with the minutes they have played let alone teams we have played
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:52 pm

Yeah i think he'll get the run of 19 games. Might change my mind if we concede 5 against wiggin though.

MorphOS2.6
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by MorphOS2.6 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:52 pm

Not much point getting rid of a manager unless we can get an obviously better manager than coyle in oneil and hughes. Unlikely so wait until december when a new guy can assess the squad before the transfer window.

Unless coyle loses the dressing room or crowd like megson did

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:53 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Aye, but Lee and Megson never managed a goal at the Bok against Chelsea. Neither did Allardyce for the last 5 years. We have the worst run of results against Chelsea of any match up of teams in the Premier League. Before today. Its not like we've been covering ourselves in glory against them previously.

And its not like piss poor performances at Wigan when in desperate need of a result have ever lead to a manager being shown the door here either.
Being bottom of the league though with a PPG of less than 0.5 has though. And we are in that kind of territory. We are so bad it's beyond a joke. Can't see Eddie Davies letting this run of defeats go on much longer can you?
We were still getting at the least a PPG under Megson so we were always in touch fact is we are miles worse currently, because we are gifting teams goals with no pressure, and we have no fight or battle at all!

Question, if we can't get 3 points against Wigan or Norwich which teams would you earmark to get us up to the 40 total?

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:54 pm

I can confidently say that I did not jynx this result. I got to the pub after 30 minutes when we were already 0-4 down, wasn't even wearing a shirt!

The second half was decent, we tend to play better second half, I've said this before.

Also, point of note, last night I played two games of FIFA 9. The first one I lost 0-4 to Wigan, the second I drew 1-1 with Chelsea. That all adds up to 1-5... maybe I did jynx us after all.

Also, stating the obvious... we really need to have a good performance/result at Wigan!!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:56 pm

MorphOS2.6 wrote:Not much point getting rid of a manager unless we can get an obviously better manager than coyle in oneil and hughes. Unlikely so wait until december when a new guy can assess the squad before the transfer window.

Unless coyle loses the dressing room or crowd like megson did
I'm not calling for his head. And around me today, I'd say Coyle has already lost most of those supporters.

Wha supporters think doesn't matter anyways. It's whether Eddie Davies believes Coyle has the ability to keep us up.

My point is that we are not far from the point where that sort of question may enter Eddies head. If we continue our form much longer then we will be dead and buried come December.

MorphOS2.6
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by MorphOS2.6 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:01 pm

The crowd still doesnt seem as bad towards coyle as they did to megson.
I am in lofty lower.

The crowd do affect the confidence of the team and I would argue the supporters where helping the opposition under the last few games under megson by booing.
I never have booed never will even though I dont think coyle is up to the job.

Sadly with the transfer window being shut i doubt many managers can do much better.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We were still getting at the least a PPG under Megson so we were always in touch fact is we are miles worse currently, because we are gifting teams goals with no pressure, and we have no fight or battle at all!

Question, if we can't get 3 points against Wigan or Norwich which teams would you earmark to get us up to the 40 total?
Sorry, just for clarity, which results under Megson in that dire run to christmas would you say were either comparable or better?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:05 pm

Ultimately you have to back a manager who is still part-way through building his team, is missing his best 2 players and a couple of other key pieces - anything this season would be pointless. But he has to have a good, hard look at his set up does Coyle as something is clearly not right on the training pitch

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:06 pm

The crowd seemed great today from the TV. There was a "We're the one and only Wanderers" when they made the substitution while the throwin was happening. Good to hear.

Was there a "By far the greatest team..." this time?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:08 pm

Second half they were. They were absent before the first goal, spent the remainder of the half tutting and doing what they do best, telling the officials they're cack

Porrohman
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Porrohman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:09 pm

Lets stick 11 out of the crowd then...feck me.
The voices in my head may not be real...but they have some great ideas!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:11 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Sorry, just for clarity, which results under Megson in that dire run to christmas would you say were either comparable or better?
When were we bottom of the league with 3 points from 7 games under Megson, when had we lost 11 out of 12 premiership games under his charge?

When did we concede an average of 3 goals per game?

Yes we've had tough fixtures, btu as I say IF we lose to Wigan having already lost to Norwich, which games are we earmarking as 3 pointers?

Bolton will back managers more than most, but NOT if they look like they are taking us down. Next two games crucial!

GrimReaper
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by GrimReaper » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:18 pm

I think we need a leader on the pitch to start with, Davies is no captain, Kevin Nolan did this job amirably,
In BWFC We Trust

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:20 pm

GrimReaper wrote:I think we need a leader on the pitch to start with, Davies is no captain, Kevin Nolan did this job amirably,
Agreed, we need someone more vocal. Suspect it would have to be NRC!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Coyle's PPG is still better than Megson's. But only just. You can't take a run of games like we've just had, and draw a general comparison. Over the last 38 games with Coyle in charge, we've managed 40 points - Megson's last 18 we managed 36.

That said, we are a disorganised rabble and the performances have been unacceptable. The performace against Norwich, for me was more worrying than today's, because we clearly had little clue against a recently promoted team with little spending power.

What's really worrying is the fact he seems to have no notion what our best team/formation is. How anyone could dream that Petrov, Pratley, NRC and Gardner constitued a decent midfield is completely beyind my comprehension.

I don't agree that he has until Christmas. Think if he's not got us out of the shite by end of November, then we need to do some serious thinking. Don't think I'd want a new manager to come in just in time for January's fixtures.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:28 pm

Irony is - you're bickering over what was worse, Megson or Coyle - we've got the polar opposite at the moment! We went from a side devoid of ideas up front (and if memory serves not the best record at keeping clean sheets) to a side devoid of defensive ability (and still with this tendency to disappear and go limp up front).

Neither situation is good, and my only hope is that some sort of penny dropped with Coyle with that second half with regards to the left hand side.