Gartside

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Gartside

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:30 pm

Peter Thompson wrote: When did you start going to Burnden - let me guess 1954 ?
Is that a new criteria; the longer you've been going the less you know about football? My first Burnden game was in 1947, I must know less than feck-all by now then. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:32 pm

FFS its now Val Doonican's turn....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:59 am

Peter Thompson wrote:FFS its now Val Doonican's turn....
My question had no name calling, something you've just accused two people of, yet, here you go doing just what you decry others for. Nice one, if somewhat hypocritical.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:51 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
jaffka wrote: You are a moaning c**t who is never happy and only appear to spread doom and gloom.

In fact I think that your a WUM Bury fan, so feck off you c**k end.
Another 'apparent' wise man who has to resort to very childish name calling - why don't you try again but include a few more....

When did you start going to Burnden - let me guess 1954 ?
I started going to Burnden Park around 1960 - and I think you are a bit of a whining get if I'm honest PT. Does my 50 years as a Wanderer make my opinion more valid? Of course not.

Oh, and as for other posters' perceptions on your outlook on life, I think there's a bit of a pattern emerging here. Give your head a shake cocker, or go on the wind up elsewhere. :wink:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:34 am

Gartside commenting on yesterday's ref :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16022157.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:59 am

bobo the clown wrote:
wanderers_on_tour wrote:Geeez what b/s

He was on 606 on five live around half an hour ago and was spot on. Main points from the interview;

* Any team would struggle with 11 players injured, preached further patience but admitted the fans had a right to be disapointed.
* Hinted heavily his disagreement with the Cahill sending off although didn't want to express any further at the risk of being fined. Compared the incident to Luiz against Newcastle and how the interpretation of the rules is inconsistant at best, a position which the minnows of the league appear to come off worse.
* Although he disagreed with today's sending off said that being subject to 5 sendings off so far in the season wasn't merely unlucky or just down to the referee on the day.
*Did little if anything to back Coyle openly, just the comment about fans being patient and said to his credit Coyle hadn't complained about the injuries and just got on with the job at task.

Imo Gartside is a top chairman and has done well by the club. I know many of my Leeds supporting mates would kill for such a chairman and don't know what some fans on here expect. If he feels a change in management is in order, or at least some sort of shake up behind the scenes, I hope it is kept behind the scenes. Slating the management on a radio phone in isn't exactly the way to go and i'm glad he hasn't stooped to such.

P.S I am not, and have never met, Big Phil...ok... :D
Good ... & thanks, W-o-T.

I do wonder about our complaining fans, sometimes. What would anyone expect Gartside to say ? ".... Oh yes, we're really in the mire now and feck, if we don't sort it out we're buggered. To be honest, we may as well jack it in now .... oh, & just between us girls, I'm sacking that skinny little scotch tosser tomorrow !" ???

Jeez, he's meant to say positive things. That's his PR role. Behind the scenes I hope he's worried as hell, I bloody am. But it's also his job not to panic.

It would just be nice to hear what he intends doing about the mire that we're in.

We don't get any luck with refs, that's fair enough, but that aside we look absolutely clueless.

BTW, acting hard on a chat forum is possible one of the most "losery" things you can do.

I was conceived on the roof of the Burnden Terrace and the midwife at my birth was Dave "The Cat" Felgate, therefore my opinion is greater than yours....
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:11 am

Andy Waller wrote:
I was conceived on the roof of the Burnden Terrace and the midwife at my birth was Dave "The Cat" Felgate, therefore my opinion is greater than yours....

ahhhhhh! you were dropped at birth! :wink:

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scotty » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:41 am

i quite like Gartside on the whole, think he has done a decent job as chairman although he has made a couple of mistakes along the way. From his general comments over the last few months i get the impression that Coyles job is pretty secure. I also get the impression that there will no money to spend in January (apart from any raised from the sale of Cahill.)

On that basis, we need our injured players to return urgently (unlikely) or Coyle needs to sort out the defence, or Coyle to pull off another miracle loan signing.
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:44 am

Gartside comments where excellent, but isn't it a shame that people in football can't be honest and open in their opinions for fear of being fined. A bit of a police state the Premiership and FA rules it seems, but then Gartside is on the ruling body do he is partly to blame for those rules I guess.

On the other topic, 1953 so not as early as some on here, but hardly ever since I left the UK in 1994. However, as I am in the UK for Christmas for the first time in 5 years, I will be watching the Wanderers as often as I can be, visiting rellies allowing of course.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:03 pm

Riviman wrote:Gartside commenting on yesterday's ref :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16022157.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Atwell out!


fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:18 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:Just heard Gartside on GMR and he says he isn't worried about our situation....
Never - No Way....?

However, if that really is true I'm fcuking speechless....how on earth can anyone, never mind the chairman of the club come out with such a stupid statement
"people in football know why we've appointed Gary"

That Chairman?

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:44 pm

apart from a couple of postions i don't think our starting 11 is too bad, its just they don't seem to know whats going on when they play :S

cecil.bob
Reliable
Reliable

Post by cecil.bob » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:50 pm

adamworthy2002 wrote:
Riviman wrote:Gartside commenting on yesterday's ref :

Atwell out!

Know this is a Gartside thread but the fact that Atwell is still a referee after a number of controversial calls he's made speaks volumes about the FA, and the referees that would replace him....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:16 pm

Andy Waller wrote: I was conceived on the roof of the Burnden Terrace and the midwife at my birth was Dave "The Cat" Felgate, therefore my opinion is greater than yours....
Ah, if only you'd put the roof of the Burnden embankment that would have been tops for funny. :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:22 pm

I didn't start going till 1999, so obviously, discount what I say, a mere 57% of my lifetime, but I can't for the life of me see why folk want to criticise Gartside. And there are folk who want to. Who will try to turn everything into a reason Phil is shit. Hmm.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:08 pm

Prufrock wrote:I didn't start going till 1999, so obviously, discount what I say, a mere 57% of my lifetime, but I can't for the life of me see why folk want to criticise Gartside. And there are folk who want to. Who will try to turn everything into a reason Phil is shit. Hmm.
When Sam A was in charge we were often quoted as "punching above our weight". We had some class players as a result of him signing older experienced guys, loaning players from others and all the nous that everybody and his brother soon copped onto and followed. As always, the clubs with more money to play with always won in the end. Gartside and Coyle are still in the same boat we've always been in since we joined the Premiership and each season gets harder as some other Sheik of Araby or Curried chicken magnate buys up clubs all around us and attracts the mercenaries from the four corners whilst we rely heavier on an already overburdened patron in Eddie Davies.

The reality is that we're still very small fry fighting our bollox off to survive yet some fans complain as if we're United or Chelsea and have a right to win and compete at their level. A whole catalogue of injuries, including probably our two best players, and playing five games with ten men hasn't helped much and, if we do manage to survive, even by the skin of our teeth, it'll be something to rejoice about, not moan. We all wail about this that and the other, me included, but some go to wild extremes. Never quite understood why every defeat is greeted by howls of blame. Blame the Chairman, blame the manager, blame anybody but get the bed-sheets out and light the torches, that'll do it. Bit of a reality check needed somewhere methinks and maybe a bit more " Come on you Whites" instead of the "form a posse" mentality.

Just a thought mind....

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:22 pm

I am a fairly rubbish fan, don't go to many games, youngish, etc.

On the radio just now some journalist was saying that maybe Gartside should concentrate on fixing the problems at Bolton, rather than saying what he said publicly.

I agree with that but it's almost like he doesn't have any control over what's happening at Bolton so it's all he can do. By that I mean he can't influence the first team or change the training staff. Players read newspapers, watch TV and maybe even surf the interwebs. I'd rather he did some tub-thumping than whinged about referee(s). But maybe what he said will have a galvanizing, us-against-them effect when we beat Villa.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I didn't start going till 1999, so obviously, discount what I say, a mere 57% of my lifetime, but I can't for the life of me see why folk want to criticise Gartside. And there are folk who want to. Who will try to turn everything into a reason Phil is shit. Hmm.
When Sam A was in charge we were often quoted as "punching above our weight". We had some class players as a result of him signing older experienced guys, loaning players from others and all the nous that everybody and his brother soon copped onto and followed. As always, the clubs with more money to play with always won in the end. Gartside and Coyle are still in the same boat we've always been in since we joined the Premiership and each season gets harder as some other Sheik of Araby or Curried chicken magnate buys up clubs all around us and attracts the mercenaries from the four corners whilst we rely heavier on an already overburdened patron in Eddie Davies.

The reality is that we're still very small fry fighting our bollox off to survive yet some fans complain as if we're United or Chelsea and have a right to win and compete at their level. A whole catalogue of injuries, including probably our two best players, and playing five games with ten men hasn't helped much and, if we do manage to survive, even by the skin of our teeth, it'll be something to rejoice about, not moan. We all wail about this that and the other, me included, but some go to wild extremes. Never quite understood why every defeat is greeted by howls of blame. Blame the Chairman, blame the manager, blame anybody but get the bed-sheets out and light the torches, that'll do it. Bit of a reality check needed somewhere methinks and maybe a bit more " Come on you Whites" instead of the "form a posse" mentality.

Just a thought mind....

It's a good thought.

Tough time for us and circumstances not helping at all. We'll get through it.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:56 pm

No

We won't

Unless some blood is let
Sto ut Serviam

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Who is this mythical manager who can guarantee a win with 10 men, a poor squad and no money?

Be careful what you wish for.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.