Gartside

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Gartside

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Let's not rewrite history and say anyone expected us to have 9 points from 14 games and that it's just all we could expect!
Aye, don't forget to include anyone expecting Holden or Lee to miss all season, Sean Davies never to be fit again, Alonso on a court charge, a new signing to be injured before playing a game, Sam Rickets out for months, the rest of our short-term injuries and playing those five games with ten men. Those facts, known at season start, might have put most off even if Jose Maurinho had been in charge.
to be fair - you could fine dozens of posts before this season started which said Sean Davis would never be fit to play for us again... (not sure why you slipped that one in there!)

also - the same is true for alonso - he was charged BEFORE this season started (May) - so I think we all predicted that!!

I think you over-egg your pudding for effect! :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:08 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Let's not rewrite history and say anyone expected us to have 9 points from 14 games and that it's just all we could expect!
Aye, don't forget to include anyone expecting Holden or Lee to miss all season, Sean Davies never to be fit again, Alonso on a court charge, a new signing to be injured before playing a game, Sam Rickets out for months, the rest of our short-term injuries and playing those five games with ten men. Those facts, known at season start, might have put most off even if Jose Maurinho had been in charge.
to be fair - you could fine dozens of posts before this season started which said Sean Davis would never be fit to play for us again... (not sure why you slipped that one in there!)

also - the same is true for alonso - he was charged BEFORE this season started (May) - so I think we all predicted that!!

I know, I'm full of tricks like that, but go ahead and miss all the relevant points for the sake of a "fault".
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
to be fair - you could find dozens of posts before this season started which said Sean Davis would never be fit to play for us again... (not sure why you slipped that one in there!)

I know, I'm full of tricks like that, but go ahead and miss all the relevant points for the sake of a "fault".
the other points were fine - you just over-egged the pudding in order to make you list look more impressive! Problem is - adding weak and fallacious items to a list devalues (rather than strengthens) the point. that's all!

People first started predicting Sean Davis wouldn't play for us again in about 1452! :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:46 pm

thebish wrote:People first started predicting Sean Davis wouldn't play for us again in about 1452! :wink:
As they were warming up ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:48 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:People first started predicting Sean Davis wouldn't play for us again in about 1452! :wink:
As they were warming up ??
that would be "at" about 1452, Bobo! :roll: 8)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Was Sean Davis' last appearance for us when he got sent off? It has got to be a future quiz question...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:00 pm

Who's Sean Davis?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:40 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Was Sean Davis' last appearance for us when he got sent off? It has got to be a future quiz question...
That was against liverpool he pulled back lucas and got a second yellow, his incapacity benefit must pay alot.
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:56 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Who's Sean Davis?
It's an eggy pudding, I think. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:54 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Andy Waller wrote: I was conceived on the roof of the Burnden Terrace and the midwife at my birth was Dave "The Cat" Felgate, therefore my opinion is greater than yours....
Ah, if only you'd put the roof of the Burnden embankment that would have been tops for funny. :wink:
But I don't know no posh words like what you do...

Could have been worse, could have been Kevin Rose.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Chrisfu
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Chrisfu » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:14 am

I just hope Sam Ricketts comes out of this impending reserve game looking ready for first team action. To be honest I've thought he always looks more assured as CB, when thinking back to him filling in for Gary Cahill after the blood clot. With our current CB's looking being a bit soft and wanting an early shower because it's all nice and warm, and Zat Knight being... Zat Knight, I think we could do with him there.

You know, I hate myself for even thinking this, but never more have we needed a Gavin McCann in the middle of the park legging players up with innocent looking tackles. For all the foul play he was sent off only once, so it's a start. Gav had a knack for such things and knew when he had to stick a leg in. We're too soft at the moment and seem to be totally brainless, playing like robots and sticking to the letter to what Owen and his team must be telling them. Teams playing with a bit of creativity and individuality tend to need a player to spark them, and our spark is Stuart Holden. Looking back to the close season that is evidently Owen's biggest mistake; either not getting a new person to fill that creative role. We need to buy/loan or adapt someone into a play-breaking midfielder and a creative type who can see and make a cutting pass. Unfortunately they're the rarest and most expensive of assets, and so I'd even say the unthinkable: try the old man Petrov in the middle with NRK. At this point in time, anything is worth a shot.

Our current first choice 11 has a relatively pretty exterior and a soft and fluffy core, but at the end of the day it tastes like shit. Basically we're the footballing equivalent of an Iceland profiterole.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:19 am

I'd prefer Stuart Holden to Gavin McCann. Who was supposed to be back after a few weeks of the season. So you may have inadvertently stumbled on something there.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:43 am

I do quite like Gartside, I've chatted to him a couple of times and heard him speak a couple more and he's always very matter of fact and realistic about Wanderers and their place in the scheme of things.

I don't think he should be calling 606 (Great show as usual lads) though. Sounds like he's wining.

We've got to face up to the facts that yes we've had a lot of injuries, yes we had a tough start, yes refs come down harder on smaller club than they do on yer Liverpools, yer Manchuniteds, yer Arsenals and yer Chelseas of this world but that's the way it is.

What we also have to accept is that we don't have any team spirit, the defence is shite and the attack is a waste of fecking time.

There are some things we can't control. There are others we can.

Let's try and get the stuff we can control right first and then we can start looking for excuses.

The first time we came up the talk was all about 'learning curves' well we didn't learn quick enough and we all know how that ended.

There's a gap open now who here thinks we can close it?
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Chrisfu
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Chrisfu » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:55 am

Lord Kangana wrote:I'd prefer Stuart Holden to Gavin McCann. Who was supposed to be back after a few weeks of the season. So you may have inadvertently stumbled on something there.
Of course I'd take Holden over McCann, but the crux of my point was that McCann had survival instincts, be it during just a single game or over a season, and right now we need that in the players. The players seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that if the season had started in April, we'd have been 20 games in with 12 points, and almost certainly destined for the Championship. Wonder how many of our squad have relegation release clauses?

Have to say though coffeymagic, I think our midfield is as much to blame as our defence. Our defence get pressure heaped on them due to other teams waltzing through the chumps.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:28 am

TANGODANCER wrote:The reality is that we're still very small fry fighting our bollox off to survive yet some fans complain as if we're United or Chelsea and have a right to win and compete at their level.
The likes of York City, Wycombe Wanderers and Lincoln City are 'very small fry' - we are much bigger than them. And we are competing at the same level as Chelsea and United - the Premier League.

We might not have anywhere near the same resources as those clubs but time was, not that long ago, we gave them a game and even drew or occasionally beat them. It's either wanting us to be a cosy and homely community club that knows its place, or a mid-sized club that can make the best of the hand its dealt. Coyle managed that most of last season - as did Allardyce for most of his time here.

My own view is that changing the manager isn't enough at the moment. Gartside's had 12 years or so of keeping the ship steady. Time for some new ideas at the very top? But that might not come until there's a change of ownership... which, apart from BWFC not being a viable purchase, causes its own issues and problems.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:17 pm

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/536426294?-11201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:50 pm

Did Phil Gartside shag Richard McCormack's missus? :conf:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:56 pm

I like Phil.

He shouldn't have said what he did about the ref though. That was clearly an attempt to take the heat off Coyle.

It wasn't a great decision, but I'm not convinced it was so blatantly "wrong" that it warranted that sort of a reaction from the Chairman. I'm not even sure there is enough in it for it to be overturned. Hope it is like....

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:Who is this mythical manager who can guarantee a win with 10 men, a poor squad and no money?

Be careful what you wish for.
Well..... I (personally) wouldn't have said no to the likes of Martin "the mythical" O'Neill - now there's a proper manager. But this thread is about the chairman, not the manager; so my conclusion is: "pity Mr Gartside had no influence with Mr O'Neill" (that is after all what chairmen peddle - influence. Isn't it?)

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:16 pm

To be fair to Gartside he had just been talking about Stuart Holden so I think he just got a bit tongue tied when moving on to 'Stuart' Parker.

The presenters never picked him up.

The whole broadcast was a bit tawdry like I sad but that's 606 (Great show lads, he's lost the plot, I'm a nugget) for you.

On the subject of where we are and what's going on.

I don't think there was a single Bolton fan who expected us to win on Saturday. Spurs are a good side and we're not.

I don't think anyone thought we'd do anything other than struggle-middle this year.

I didn't think we'd be so poor but there you go.

I'm still 'backing' Coyle but it may be more of a 'who'd come in?' train of thought than any other reason.

We won't come back from this defeat. We've gone. I've accepted that and am at peace.

*being at peace does not include Saturday afternoons where I spend most of them shouting, swearing and pointing at the radio - liek that's going to do owt.

Oh yeah. My mum's just done £200 in the club shop buying the weans kits and scarves and hats and all sorts.

They're going to get bullied.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey