Marvin Sordell

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Marvin Sordell

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I seem to recall Michael Ricketts got a similar mixed send-off.
He was giving it the billy big bollocks despite scoring 1 goal in about 4 and half months though.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:11 pm

Beefheart wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Wouldnt call it a steal til we can say how he steps up to the premier league, not like we got bags of cash to throw around.

compare him to what we payed for shittu its a steal
It really depresses me to think that we spent more buying Zat Knight than we did buying Holden, Lee, Reo-Coker, Mark Davies and Petrov combined.

:vomit:

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:16 pm

DJBlu wrote:Better than the usual loan deal.

We have the potential to make a decent profit off future sale should he become a real asset. If not and he is handy enough to keep us up and stay here then job's a good en.

I know its a youtube clip, but the pace is what is exciting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mte8bdkTiBY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 2mins in.

I thought the "jobsite" logo on the Portsmouth shirts read "gobshite" at first.

Pace and a good finish: pleasing. He runs like a girl though—look at his limp wrists flapping about!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:19 pm

DJBlu wrote:Better than the usual loan deal.

We have the potential to make a decent profit off future sale should he become a real asset. If not and he is handy enough to keep us up and stay here then job's a good en.

I know its a youtube clip, but the pace is what is exciting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mte8bdkTiBY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 2mins in.
What's with the gay arm when he is 1 on 1? :lol:

DIPS
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by DIPS » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:49 pm

He will be like a small fish in a big pond when he starts for us. Lets hope he doesn't prove to be a fish jumping out of water on his debut.
walter Mackem wrote: Lets get this clear, we can come and take what we want from your tawdry little club whenever we want.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:50 pm

Sponge wrote: Pace and a good finish: pleasing. He runs like a girl though—look at his limp wrists flapping about!
As demonstrated by Theo Walcot and Aaron Lennon. Managers can't whine about refs giving their players protection if they appear masculine.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

HORNET1
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by HORNET1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:57 pm

Watford fan here. You've got yourself a very good prospect. Don't think he's as good as Zaha but he is raw and has the potential to be brilliant. Both-footed, quick, skillful, ok in the air and a decent finisher. The fee is 4m and I'm certain there are clauses in there, which is where the value is. 4m would be a steal, but with the clauses it'll go up a fair bit I suspect, so I'm not too disappointed with the deal. We'd rather have kept Mariappa and we did so, hope he does well with you, great lad and we'll get financial gain from it in the future!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Thank you Hornet. Good to hear. Looking at your sites it seems he comes with good wishes and it's far pfeferable to him joining McKay at Cardiff.

I read in some papers that we "swooped" !! I'm so proud, we normally sort of saunter, mosey about a bit, have a root around and then find that we can't afford it or someone bigger & shinier has "swooped".
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:30 pm

A few eye-catching goals and he might just earn himself a place in the squad for the Olympics.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:44 pm

I know someone who infrequently watches Watford.

He thinks we have got ourselves one helluva player for one helluva a price.

I suppose we'll see. Young'uns are always a gamble, but theres at least the possibility of a profit to be made.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:04 pm

Given the relatively low price we'd have to share a fair bit of any profit but still looks a good signing. 4 Million for a goalscoring youngster doesnt make this a huge gamble. If he does well he'll be worth a lot more ,if he struggles he's young enough and promising enough to still have a fair resale value.

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:58 am

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Given the relatively low price we'd have to share a fair bit of any profit but still looks a good signing. 4 Million for a goalscoring youngster doesnt make this a huge gamble. If he does well he'll be worth a lot more ,if he struggles he's young enough and promising enough to still have a fair resale value.
I agree with all that, its a win win situation. And what i like about this deal is that the lad really wanted to come to us and prove himself in the premiership, he impressed me fri night against Spurs in the cup he's very quick was turning Kaboul inside and out and the lad has a good 1st touch which is vital at this level.
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aussie_wanderer
Promising
Promising

Post by aussie_wanderer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:39 am

hopefully he turns out better then robbie blake, vazte, and all the other dudd strikers we have had

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:45 am

Be interesting to see what sell ons Watford have

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:43 am

Unless he's really rubbish or a complete nightmare, we'll make our money back at worst and probably some profit too!

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Unless he's really rubbish or a complete nightmare, we'll make our money back at worst and probably some profit too!
The lads not pulled his boots on for us yet and you're practically selling him on already?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:47 am

clapton is god wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Unless he's really rubbish or a complete nightmare, we'll make our money back at worst and probably some profit too!
The lads not pulled his boots on for us yet and you're practically selling him on already?
Like it or not thats the business model we're working to now.

Dartisan
Promising
Promising

Post by Dartisan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:08 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
clapton is god wrote:
The commentators were talking about Mavies in that light last night: "Ya know I really could see him playing for a top 4 team". Hang on a cotton-picking minute he's only had about half a season at full-speed with us and you're selling him on already!! B&*%ard commentators.
Everything but the game: Because it's not just a game, it's a way of life.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:17 am

Dartisan wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
clapton is god wrote:
The commentators were talking about Mavies in that light last night: "Ya know I really could see him playing for a top 4 team". Hang on a cotton-picking minute he's only had about half a season at full-speed with us and you're selling him on already!! B&*%ard commentators.
To be fair, so was Coyle !!

Coyle ; - “ ... I don’t ever worry about elite clubs coming and wanting to entice our young players away because that means they are doing very well for us and we are reaping the rewards of that. I want my players to play at that level so there are buyers in the market place. And, as I say, in six months time Mark will be capable of stepping into those elite clubs.

But to do that, he needs to be consistent between now and the end of the season. If he does that, he will attract attention because that type of player is difficult to come by.”
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeeRoyBrown
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LeeRoyBrown » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:48 am

Great way to motivate Mark Davies though, gives him that carrot to chase...