Norwich v Horwich

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Norwich v Horwich

Post by jimbo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:24 pm

boltonboris wrote:Typical. Players show good form then get injured. It never happens to our players when they are playing shite.
Ok then, assuming he doesn't play, what are the options?

1) Straight swap Riley
2) Stick Boyata there
3) Mears if he is fit
4) Ricketts to RB, then Robinson back

Of those, have to say Riley is the one that fills me least with dread. He's looked capable when he's come in in the last few cup games.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:25 pm

jimbo wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Typical. Players show good form then get injured. It never happens to our players when they are playing shite.
Ok then, assuming he doesn't play, what are the options?

1) Straight swap Riley
2) Stick Boyata there
3) Mears if he is fit
4) Ricketts to RB, then Robinson back

Of those, have to say Riley is the one that fills me least with dread. He's looked capable when he's come in in the last few cup games.
When is Alonso back? I'd put Ricketts RB if he's fit. Anything but having Robbo back in the team though.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Mears will play of Steinsson out. 1 change needed. Not 2.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:29 pm

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Could be entirely wrong, but with Mears not having played a league game since his injury, I'd expect Riley to start with Mears on the bench, to see how it goes. Rest should be as is. Rickets is doing too well at left back to move and Riley's played decently and got one or two forward runs going.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:18 pm

Difficult. Riley has done well, particularly in defensive rather than attacking situations, whereas Steinsson offers more going forward – and I get the impression Mears is also forward-ranging, and in the Moo/NRC double-pivot system we want attacking full-backs.

Then again, it's an away game, which perhaps leans towards Riley rather than Mears, who has yet to play a minute.

Then again again, Norwich frequently play with a narrow midfield diamond, which means the opposition full-backs don't actually have anyone to directly mark and should have space to run into, which might favour Mears.

Then again again again, Norwich have changed their formation more readily (and successfully) than any other team this season, so you can never be quite sure what they'll do.

Hmmm...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:18 pm

Get in at them and push on with pace we can do them, they just need unsettling from the off, the "Bolton" way.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:22 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Difficult. Riley has done well, particularly in defensive rather than attacking situations, whereas Steinsson offers more going forward – and I get the impression Mears is also forward-ranging, and in the Moo/NRC double-pivot system we want attacking full-backs.

Then again, it's an away game, which perhaps leans towards Riley rather than Mears, who has yet to play a minute.

Then again again, Norwich frequently play with a narrow midfield diamond, which means the opposition full-backs don't actually have anyone to directly mark and should have space to run into, which might favour Mears.

Then again again again, Norwich have changed their formation more readily (and successfully) than any other team this season, so you can never be quite sure what they'll do.

Hmmm...
Not sure I entirely agree with that.

Riley is the best fullback we have seen (obviously Mears excluded) going forwards.

Defensively Riley has struggled at times, West Brom away as an example.

Steinsson is our best defensive right back IMO.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:23 pm

I'm sure Owen has excogitated all the options - and has come up with a plan to surprise us all!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Robinson (sigh).

Can we not just give him away BOGOF with Cahill?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:30 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Robinson (sigh).

Can we not just give him away BOGOF with Cahill?
Players like Steinsson and Knight seem to be recapturing form from early last season. Perhaps Robinson will too? The form that led us to desperately protect him from being banned from the semi final?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:31 pm

He's always been shit.

He's not changing that now.

Thank god we have a manager who's capable of changing his ways and accepting his mistakes eh?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:35 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:He's always been shit.

Thank god we have a manager who's capable of changing his ways and accepting his mistakes eh?
Like I say, he was very good for large parts of last season. So much so that he was left out so he wouldn't be suspended for the Stoke game.

Steinsson has been dire for a time now, but suddenly has recaptured old form.

If Robinson went back to form of last season then that would only be a good thing for us. At times last season he would have been one of the first names on the teamsheet!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Young Naughton likes to get forward from Right back (he's been playing on the left, but I hear Tieney - The Klasnic 'victim' is due to start after injury). So a Ricketts / Petrov combination will be better suited to defending against any overlapping runs, than a Robinson / Petrov combination, that has shown itself to jaw droppingly bad at times.

For me, Mears is as similar to Steinsson as we'll possibly get (with the exception of attacking set-pieces, where steiner is useful). so for that reason I'd use him. Using Riley would hardly be a disaster though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:40 pm

If Mears is ready then use him, or Riley. Don't tinker around with owt else.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:49 pm

is it me or does steinson have a lot of these injuries that means he miss the odd game?

Riley back in the side. We are well stocked for right backs so it shouldnt be a problem.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:55 pm

All the best of Riley I have seen has been going forward. Gets great shape on his crosses. Shame we still have nobody in there to fecking attack them.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:03 pm

His crosses tend to come from deep though. Steinsson prefers to get beyond his man and swing 'em in from nearer the byline.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:He's always been shit.

Like I say, he was very good for large parts of last season. So much so that he was left out so he wouldn't be suspended for the Stoke game.

Steinsson has been dire for a time now, but suddenly has recaptured old form.

If Robinson went back to form of last season then that would only be a good thing for us. At times last season he would have been one of the first names on the teamsheet!
If pigs had wings................................................................................

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:36 pm

officer_dibble wrote:is it me or does steinson have a lot of these injuries that means he miss the odd game?

Riley back in the side. We are well stocked for right backs so it shouldnt be a problem.
Aye, but we need to decide on one for ninety minutes. Be a shame if we had to use a substitution on a full back unless we're in front and one is obviously struggling. We need all the firepower we can muster because we aren't exactly hitting the net that much right now.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?