Owen Coyle

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Re: Owen Coyle

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:06 am

Worthy4England wrote:I'm delighted with our recent form and results. Completely bemused as to how Captain Clueless didn't manage to spot there was a huge problem much earlier. I'm a long way from declaring us safe, which as with every year will be the ultimate measure.

Should we unfortunately not quite make it, I will say I told you so and point to this run of games that shows what our squad, regardless of money and all the bollocks that was being talked about as "excuses" was actually capable of.
That's exactly where I am.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:15 am

I'll give him credit if he keeps us up....because if he does we'll have the makings of a good young exciting team next season, with Holden & Chung Lee back as well.

If he doesn't - well I'm sure you know !

Owen_Coyle
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Owen_Coyle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 am

I don't really know what different tactics Owen (or the team) are employing now, but the Liverpool game was the first time that I genuinely thought we had a hope in escaping the drop. The Arsenal game continued in a similar vein, even though we spent long periods without the ball (but what team doesn't against them) and we certainly rode our luck at times. But like others have said, we just might have nicked the game at the end (not undeserved overall in my estimation) but 0-0 was a fantastic result and another excellent performance.

But the big difference is that when we get the ball now we look as though we have the nous to do something with it; the movement and general confidence on the ball is so much better, and now we look as though we have the ingenuity to do something going forward. This has resulted in the likes of NRC, Mavies, Petrov, Eagles suddenly revelling in having the ball at their feet and the movement off the ball is so much more inventive now.

Before that we didn't have a clue what to do when we got it, so promptly gave it back, and I defy any defence to be able to cope with that continued onslaught, no matter what the tactics or personnel are.

Although the reason for this change is mysterious, as I say, I'm sure it is not just coincidence that the introduction of Ricketts at LB has had a positive effect. With Robbo there we were always under threat down the left, and teams were starting to exploit that weakness from minute 1. Sam's extra pace and ability to use either foot has added another dimension, and he brings others into play more readily.

We still have a long way to go, we all know that, but at least the signs are good, and we are starting keep he ball with confidence and a bit of inventiveness about our play.

Long may it continue.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:31 am

Everything you say OC is true, except for the first line. I think it's obvious what we're doing differently from a tactical point of view. Controlling the midfield and ensuring the back 4 aren't as shockingly exposed..
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:32 am

Peter Thompson wrote:I'll give him credit if he keeps us up....because if he does we'll have the makings of a good young exciting team next season, with Holden & Chung Lee back as well.

I think - if he keeps us up, that those who said we were definitely down should bare their arses on the town hall steps with "Sorry, Owen!" tattooed across their buttocks.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:41 am

thebish wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:I'll give him credit if he keeps us up....because if he does we'll have the makings of a good young exciting team next season, with Holden & Chung Lee back as well.

I think - if he keeps us up, that those who said we were definitely down should bare their arses on the town hall steps with "Sorry, Owhen!" tattooed across their buttocks.
I can see an opportunity to save some tattoo-time here as well !!!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:43 am

Is THAT why you've got 'Bob' tattoed on your left arse cheek? I always wondered.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:48 am

I've already got a large W tattooed on each arse cheek. Big wow.
Businesswoman of the year.

Owen_Coyle
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Owen_Coyle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:50 am

boltonboris wrote:Everything you say OC is true, except for the first line. I think it's obvious what we're doing differently from a tactical point of view. Controlling the midfield and ensuring the back 4 aren't as shockingly exposed..
Well yes I guess I agree indirectly Boris, but I think that control has been brought about in the main by the better movement of the players, which in itself has visibly made them grow in confidence.

Obviously I suppose a change in tactics may have something to do with that but I would personally rather put that down to most of them being far more comfortable on the ball of late.

Whatever has caused it I currently like what I see, and before I didn't !!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:53 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I'm delighted with our recent form and results. Completely bemused as to how Captain Clueless didn't manage to spot there was a huge problem much earlier. I'm a long way from declaring us safe, which as with every year will be the ultimate measure.

Should we unfortunately not quite make it, I will say I told you so and point to this run of games that shows what our squad, regardless of money and all the bollocks that was being talked about as "excuses" was actually capable of.
Me too. As we're all in the same place maybe we should go for a pint.

I'm pleased things look a little more positive. I'd, obviously, be delighted if we get out of this.

But I can't help wonder how the fck we got here in the first place, That November & December run was abysmal & we could ALL see that he needed NRC AND the Moo in the middle. We could all see that Robbo was struggling,. We could all see that SKD had become a plodder. We could all see that Jussi was off form.

.... all, that is, except the manager and coaching staff.

It's like he's hit on a better formula reluctantly and almost by accident.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:58 am

bobo the clown wrote:

I'm pleased things look a little more positive. I'd, obviously, be delighted if we get out of this.

But I can't help wonder how the fck we got here in the first place, That November & December run was abysmal & we could ALL see that he needed NRC AND the Moo in the middle. We could all see that Robbo was struggling,. We could all see that SKD had become a plodder. We could all see that Jussi was off form.

with one notable exception! :wink:

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:14 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

We tried 4-5-1 in the cup against Villa and it worked. He then for some reason reverted back to 4-4-2 with different players and I can't remember which game was after the cup game, but I'm guessing we lost! We've had 11 points from the last 7 I think? Which meant only 9 from 16 before that...shocking! Having said that, I have been unwavering in my support for Coyle throughout all that...just feeling a little bit smug and vindicated...I knew things would get better.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Change of tactics, personnel, formation is the rabbit out of the bag Owen finally pulled!

Ironic no Jussi "big boot", Robinson left side liabilty, and a static front man (SKD) along with 5 across the middle WITH THE ABILITY AND PACE to get forward (or back) have made.
NRC to be captain and Davo to be pushed down from being first front line sub are all thats needed till Holden and Chungy are fit along with Alonso and the new recruits to give Owen headaches

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:20 pm

officer_dibble wrote:He looks like he is learning. Shame it took so long! As a fickle football i reserve my right to sing the managers praises then call for him to be sacked. So, happy at the moment!

If he's willing to learn as he goes, surely we've advanced a tech level from the previous bell-cheese then? In that he did and said the same things without a whiff of ever learning anything. And still remaining a massive cock.

Fills me with hope that we have a manager who is capable of changing his ways. Many can't.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:51 pm

agreed!

my concern is how long it took for the penny to drop - but fair play for the board - many would have crumbled and appointed warnock.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:23 pm

thebish wrote:

I think - if he keeps us up, that those who said we were definitely down should bare their arses on the town hall steps with "Sorry, Owen!" tattooed across their buttocks.
Many things baffle me about football fans, but the determination of so many to say things like "we're down" before the event will always remain a mystery to me.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:36 pm

thebish wrote:

Many things baffle me about football fans, but the determination of so many to say things like "we're down" before the event will always remain a mystery to me.
Self defence mechanism innit?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Self defence mechanism innit?
As I say - bizarre.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:43 pm

Hoboh wrote:Change of tactics, personnel, formation is the rabbit out of the bag Owen finally pulled!

Ironic no Jussi "big boot", Robinson left side liabilty, and a static front man (SKD) along with 5 across the middle WITH THE ABILITY AND PACE to get forward (or back) have made.
NRC to be captain and Davo to be pushed down from being first front line sub are all thats needed till Holden and Chungy are fit along with Alonso and the new recruits to give Owen headaches
Don't let your bias blind you to logic Hoboh. You already wished him out of the first XI, now you want him off the bench? Did it escape your notice he did a decent job against Arsenal? I mean,we've so many good front men haven't we and N'gog is better giving it all for as long as he can, but it knackers him. Klasnic is not a front man for 4-5-1. Who else would you put there?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:49 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Hoboh wrote:Change of tactics, personnel, formation is the rabbit out of the bag Owen finally pulled!

Don't let your bias blind you to logic Hoboh. You already wished him out of the first XI, now you want him off the bench? Did it escape your notice he did a decent job against Arsenal? I mean,we've so many good front men haven't we and N'gog is better giving it all for as long as he can, but it knackers him. Klasnic is not a front man for 4-5-1. Who else would you put there?
The bloke we've just spent more than 3M quid on?