Time to go

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should we get rid of Owen Coyle?

Yes
38%
No
48%
Maybe
14%

Total votes: 146

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time to go

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Its not surprising to anyone else.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Its not surprising to anyone else.
Walked into that one! :D
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:56 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Its not surprising to anyone else.
Walked into that one! :D
Hard to do from an armchair too.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Holden midfielder
Promising
Promising

Post by Holden midfielder » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:15 am

Robbo, Robbo, and 4-4-2 for me. Oh and Robbo again.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Is he still blagging it?
Sto ut Serviam

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:43 pm

knight ream wheater
reo coker pratley mavies

do one!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:23 pm

Drugs. He's on fckg drugs.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:05 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Drugs. He's on fckg drugs.
Yes it's the only rational explanation. Someone must be slipping ecstacy in his morning brew. The selection and substitutions were insane today and bizarrely he looks almost justified as we only lost by two. The reality was city should have been 4 up in 6 mins and overall 4 0 would have still been profligate.

Oc it appears is now a complete basket case

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:55 am

jesus christ.

let one of the players do it.

zat knight for manager 2012 !!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:53 pm

S-t-e-a-l-i-n-g-a-f-u-c-k-i-n-g-l-i-v-i-n-g
Sto ut Serviam

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:28 pm

nb: thats a fecking five month gap there ^^

#pay him off now

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:30 pm

a1 wrote:nb: thats a fecking five month gap there ^^

#pay him off now
More pissed off cos the thread was started last October and the cnuts still here.
Businesswoman of the year.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:35 pm

oh aye.

the [long lenth of time] then [bump] thing happened in this thread a lot.

40 pages too.

i nearly said megson out then , but , carnt even joke.

#this crow tastes like someones soul.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Fck, that made depressing reading !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Adam Wilson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Adam Wilson » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:56 pm

It's not looking particularly good at the moment but I reckon all managers should by law be given a minimum of 3 years and then judged.....so no

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:57 pm

In 3 years a bad enough manager could probably put a club out of business
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Adam Wilson wrote:It's not looking particularly good at the moment but I reckon all managers should by law be given a minimum of 3 years and then judged.....so no
:eh:

You must be joking. You'd be a shite chairman, mate.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:36 pm

Any chance of revoking the vote - I want to change mine from last October !!!
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:07 pm

I'm not anti-Coyle or pro-Coyle, I just want what is best for the football club. If you spend 5 minutes looking at a few threads, you'll see that people have developed a clear agenda against Coyle and are blaming all our problems on him, which I think is unfair. I don't like that way of thinking because it's usually far too stubborn and deflects fair criticism from other areas within the club at one person unfairly. We all have opinions on who should or shouldn't be in the team and what formation we should play, but Coyle is getting the blame when people refuse to track back or can't pass the ball 5 yards. When fair criticism is due, give it, but otherwise, people just look bitter and obsessive.

This season is a big one for us. We need to get back up to be in the Premier League for the massive influx of money next season. If we get there, it'll be exactly what the club needs in order to build and progress. For that reason, I'd probably give Coyle another 6 or 7 games to show what he's really worth and what he can bring to the table.

If the poor results continue, he has to go. There is no doubting that. You can provide reasons for what happened last year, due to the massive amount of misfortune we suffered, and that shouldn't be forgotten. However, we have a clean sheet this year and Coyle is in a position to turn things around for us. If he can't do that and if he can't lift the morale at the club up, we need to start looking at replacements. That's part of the problem though because every possible candiate to replace him is either flawed or unproven, so you aren't guaranteed anything better than what Coyle can offer. If we're struggling after 8 games in the league, then even though replacing the manager is a risk, it's what we need to take.

All that said, I do think that Coyle has potential as a manager. He has had success in Scotland and at Burnley, he did well initially for us and I don't think that's wholly down to luck or anything like that. He seems like the type of manager who thrives when things are going well and he now needs to prove he can lift spirits when things are bad too. I hope he can because I don't want us to become yet another team who sack managers when things are tough without any consideration to long term projects, and I also like his philosophy, playing style and ideas on how to progress.

Right now, I'm on the fence. I hope things will change against Derby and then Forest but we'll have to see what happens. If we're on less than 4 points after our first three games, I think that'll be a disappointment. We need points and, more vitally, a boost in morale.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:40 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:I'm not anti-Coyle or pro-Coyle, I just want what is best for the football club. If you spend 5 minutes looking at a few threads, you'll see that people have developed a clear agenda against Coyle and are blaming all our problems on him, which I think is unfair. I don't like that way of thinking because it's usually far too stubborn and deflects fair criticism from other areas within the club at one person unfairly. We all have opinions on who should or shouldn't be in the team and what formation we should play, but Coyle is getting the blame when people refuse to track back or can't pass the ball 5 yards. When fair criticism is due, give it, but otherwise, people just look bitter and obsessive.

This season is a big one for us. We need to get back up to be in the Premier League for the massive influx of money next season. If we get there, it'll be exactly what the club needs in order to build and progress. For that reason, I'd probably give Coyle another 6 or 7 games to show what he's really worth and what he can bring to the table.

If the poor results continue, he has to go. There is no doubting that. You can provide reasons for what happened last year, due to the massive amount of misfortune we suffered, and that shouldn't be forgotten. However, we have a clean sheet this year and Coyle is in a position to turn things around for us. If he can't do that and if he can't lift the morale at the club up, we need to start looking at replacements. That's part of the problem though because every possible candiate to replace him is either flawed or unproven, so you aren't guaranteed anything better than what Coyle can offer. If we're struggling after 8 games in the league, then even though replacing the manager is a risk, it's what we need to take.

All that said, I do think that Coyle has potential as a manager. He has had success in Scotland and at Burnley, he did well initially for us and I don't think that's wholly down to luck or anything like that. He seems like the type of manager who thrives when things are going well and he now needs to prove he can lift spirits when things are bad too. I hope he can because I don't want us to become yet another team who sack managers when things are tough without any consideration to long term projects, and I also like his philosophy, playing style and ideas on how to progress.

Right now, I'm on the fence. I hope things will change against Derby and then Forest but we'll have to see what happens. If we're on less than 4 points after our first three games, I think that'll be a disappointment. We need points and, more vitally, a boost in morale.
I honestly honestly don't think its because anyone wants Coyle to fail. I certainly don't. I just don't believe he's very good and consequently the initial hope he brought and promise he showed has completely drained away.

Ultimately putting all the stuff aside, managers are judged on results (and to a lesser extent how enjoyable the team are to watch which usually is heavily linked to results). We have had abysmal results and awful matchday experiences since losing to Stoke at Wembley, pretty much universally. During that time a lot of players have changed. But ultimately the shortcomings and failings have not gone away.

Thats my issue. For me managers are never personal. Which is why I never particularly was bothered by Megson so long as he kept us in the division. May have been a dour and miserable bloke, certainly played a fairly average brand of football, but basically did a job one way or another. When he looked like he wasn't going to do that job anymore it was time for him to go. And I said so at the time. I couldn't care less if the manager is a good guy or not, if he engages the fans or not.

What matters is the results he gets on the pitch.

I can't help but feel (and I fully accept I may be wrong) and I worked very hard over the summer to try and convince myself this isn't the case, but my gut feeling, and sadly backed up by most evidence is that Coyle is sliding and regressing the club downhill, and he can't stop it. I so hope we smash Derby and Forest so that I can go back to trying to convince myself otherwise!

Its certainly not personal, I just can't watch the game on Saturday and then convince myself that in any way he will be good for the club.......